Free maps for your GPS - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Free maps for your GPS

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #16
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Down View Post
Well that is not inspiring to say the least... LOL guess I need to look at other options now.

As I have stated a couple of times I have loaded topo and trail maps on to a couple of different nuvi GPS's. I didn't even have to use a SD card because there is still some free memory left in the system.

Did you see my instructions at the top of the page. Where are you having a problem at???

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #17
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany View Post
If I do this, does it get rid of all the maps I already have on there?(a.k.a. street maps)

Nope all the street maps and POI data base are in a locked area of memory and are not changed in any way. That kind of sucks as you have to pay Garmin for those updates.

Once you load topo maps you may not even notice them at first. most of the time yous map scale will be set at 1 mile or higher. To see the topo details you will have to zoom in closer, about .5 miles on the scale

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #18
JeepNE
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudinater View Post
Nope all the street maps and POI data base are in a locked area of memory and are not changed in any way. That kind of sucks as you have to pay Garmin for those updates.

Once you load topo maps you may not even notice them at first. most of the time yous map scale will be set at 1 mile or higher. To see the topo details you will have to zoom in closer, about .5 miles on the scale
Alright, thanks.

So the topo maps are blended into the regular maps, but only come into play once the gps is zoomed in far enough?
JeepNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #19
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting this topic!
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #20
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
WRONG . . . . .

I have loaded topo maps on a couple of different nuvi gps's.

One thing is you have to zoom in closer then normal to see the details once loaded. .5 mile scale should be fine
I stand corrected. Is the Nuvi limited to just topo maps?
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #21
JeepNE
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
no, its really just a normal street gps thats just like the rest of the turn-by-turn ones out there. finding this thread makes it seem like quite a bang for the buck, if you ask me
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #22
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

well I heard it can be done with a nuvi just that it is not ideal as this thread confirms.
I just wanted to use the SD slot since it is empty and I can set up all my trail maps there.
Problem that I have is there are no maps of the ORV trails for Washington that I have been able to locate.
I was hoping to take the nuvi with my on the next several trail runs, set it to off-road, and start mapping the trails myself. I was able to look at all my travel data via google earth.

What I was able to do basically is pull a copy of the file (extension not remembered atm), load it into google earth and literally see every where that i have traveled utilizing the nuvi for directions. With this in mind I was thinking that I should be able to do something similar with the off-road trails over lay this onto google earth, then save them as the appropriate file extension save them on the laptop, on the sd, then share them with others once fine tuned and looking good.

I know using the nuvi off-road I will not have the turn by turn voice (not needed as the gps is merely for reference at this point). I just at this time don't fully understand what I am doing, I am fumbling through this as I go along.

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #23
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

downloading the software now. I could not find these earlier on garmins site thx for the links. I will play with these once I have the dl'd and installed.

Unread 03-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #24
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

alright now i have these installed this looks like I am on to something now... I will check back here when I have more time to poke around. Thanks for the help thus far.

Unread 03-18-2010, 12:27 AM   #25
JeepNE
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to nag, but I was wondering if anyone could answer this for me:

Quote:
So the topo maps are blended into the regular maps, but only come into play once the gps is zoomed in far enough?
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:43 AM   #26
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry to nag, but I was wondering if anyone could answer this for me:

Yes all the maps over lay each other. So that if you are looking at a city area that happens to be on a hill side like S.F. CA. You will have all your street information, plus all the topo information

However in normal use I have not had a problem because for street use, Im zoomed out with a scale greater then 1 mile so I don't see the topo information.

Off road use I'm going slower so I zoom in and see the topo details.

You can also play with the detail settings on your GPS to add and remove detail as desired.

The whole cool thing about this is, if you have the GPS and a USB cable you can down load the maps and software and try this for FREE. You can't hurt the perinstalled maps on the GPS.

Last edited by Rudinater; 03-18-2010 at 07:02 AM..
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:59 AM   #27
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

While you can add maps to the your street GPS's like the Nuvi and it helps.

They are missing two key features.

1. Route planning - this is where you setup several waypoints and connect them to form a route. None street GPS's I have seen allow for more then one way point in a track.

Some of the newer one let you enter several locations and it maps a path for you. This path may or may not work in your case.

2. I have not been able to fine a way to store tracks on them. When off roading I love to review my track's. Use them to make maps to show other people. I can upload them to google and post it to a web page. If I have a problem on the trail I can use the track to back track how I got there and get out.

Unread 03-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #28
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Down View Post
I could not find these earlier on garmins site

Garmin is not going to tell you about this as they want you to buy their map's.

Unread 03-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #29
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Garmin is not going to tell you about this as they want you to buy their map's.
Thanks a ton for the links... I was dog tired last night, & the next two nights I will be playing billiards, so hopefully sometime this weekend I can give this some serious time..

Unread 03-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #30
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
No a map is a map and the gps does not care as long as it is in the correct format.

It can be air maps or the sea bottom it does not matter.

I have a Garmin 296 which is a GPS for Pilots with all the air maps in it. I have loaded topo maps on it and have mounted it in my jeep. It has a much nicer screen and buttons instead of a touch screen (much easier to use on the trail)

I have also loaded the state and county line over lay on top of that.

So I have air information, topo maps, state/county borders, street maps and trail maps all loaded on to one GPS and they all play very well with each other.

The only problem I have is I run out of memory on that GPS due to it's 512K max memory.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.