Ford, Ram, Chevrolet, or GMC pickup? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Ford, Ram, Chevrolet, or GMC pickup?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Reply
Unread 03-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #16
Indy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,839
When did the govt shut down the h3t? Last I heard Hummer went out of business. Unrelated, but I wouldn't mind having an h3t to play with. Neat looking imo.

As an aside, I was in a 2014 f150 4 door for about a week (rental 2 weeks ago). It was a nice ride but the rear end felt funky going over bumps. It was a new truck (less than 500 miles) so the suspension may not have settled in yet but every bump resulted in a few seconds of tiny up/downs back there. Other than that I liked it. Power felt fine, not sure which v8 it had but it did around 20mpg mixed.

__________________
Odds are im typing on a tablet. It takes too much effort to add some punctuation. Im lazy, get over it

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #17
Indy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by number40Fan View Post
The new Rams are light years ahead of what they used to be. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Plus, you can get a 4 door for the price you are wanting to spend.
Light years from where they were puts them roughly even with Yugo (yes I'm picking on you)
__________________
Odds are im typing on a tablet. It takes too much effort to add some punctuation. Im lazy, get over it

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #18
Nick05
Registered User
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: alma, ar
Posts: 399
if you are wanting a tow rig, i would look for an older 3/4 ton dodge or ford. newest ford would be an 03(last year of the 7.3 diesel). don't know what year dodge i would look for, but it would have to have the cummins turbo. in the 90's and early 2000's the diesel got better gas mileage then most of the newer ones, but some of the new ones do pretty good. got a buddy with a 2011 or 2012 dodge runnin on 35's or 37's and he still averages over 25 on the interstate.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #19
nwiTJdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
When did the govt shut down the h3t? Last I heard Hummer went out of business. Unrelated, but I wouldn't mind having an h3t to play with. Neat looking imo.

As an aside, I was in a 2014 f150 4 door for about a week (rental 2 weeks ago). It was a nice ride but the rear end felt funky going over bumps. It was a new truck (less than 500 miles) so the suspension may not have settled in yet but every bump resulted in a few seconds of tiny up/downs back there. Other than that I liked it. Power felt fine, not sure which v8 it had but it did around 20mpg mixed.
2010 was the last year for Hummer's but GM is on the hook for parts thorough 2030.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
__________________
www.militaryjeepers.com

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #20
Marauder_Pilot
Moderator
 
Marauder_Pilot's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon Territory
Posts: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier905 View Post
Noticed someone above said the hummer h3t which made me laugh due to hummer getting shutdown and all . The H3t is a interesting truck but the gov had to shut it down so good luck on getting parts for it in a few years .
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
2010 was the last year for Hummer's but GM is on the hook for parts thorough 2030.
That, plus the H3T is essentially a Chevy Colorado underneath. They might be a little scarce once the 20-year mandatory support period expires, but automakers are legally required to service any vehicles they produce for 20 years afterwards as long as the parent company exists.

Honestly, the biggest problem with the H3T is the badge. It's actually a pretty competent vehicle-hell, the H3T Alpha is about the closest we've got to a Gladiator right now.

Overall, it honestly doesn't really matter what you get if you're buying later-model. Every truck out there has as many horror stories as acolades, but, averaged out, they'll all do whatever you want. Compare the number of trucks of a given generation to the sales numbers, and you'll find a pretty strong co-relation. Each model has particular options that you might want to avoid for being poor value or design choices but, beyond that, get the truck you get the best deal on and you'll be golden.
__________________
"Buying a Jeep for on-road handling is like downloading porn to savor the cinematography."
-TTAC

| ARB/Old Man Emu | Northridge 4x4 Canada | Warn | Modern Classic Enterprises | American Expeditionary Vehicles | GenRight | Poison Spyder | OR-FAB | Metalcloak | East CoastGear Supply | JKS | M.O.R.E. |

2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport-OME HD Lift, ProComp bumper, 32" BFG TA K/Os
1994 GMC Sierra 1500 2WD-Stock
2010 Kawasaki KLR650-Stock
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #21
1398653
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Olean NY, New York
Posts: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick05 View Post
if you are wanting a tow rig, i would look for an older 3/4 ton dodge or ford. newest ford would be an 03(last year of the 7.3 diesel). don't know what year dodge i would look for, but it would have to have the cummins turbo. in the 90's and early 2000's the diesel got better gas mileage then most of the newer ones, but some of the new ones do pretty good. got a buddy with a 2011 or 2012 dodge runnin on 35's or 37's and he still averages over 25 on the interstate.
Not looking for a tow rig, need it to tow my jeep but primary purpose is DD, thats why I want to stick with half ton trucks.

I honestly like the way the Ram looks the best, plus their express model is a very good deal. I think you get more with express model that you get with Fords STX model for same price. I recently started looking at chevrolet and GMC. I like that the GM and Chev come with bumper step since I am short. My ford has the tailgate step which is nice. Ram doesnt have that but has other features I like plus I think its the best lookin truck. I also am dissaponted that the rear seats have all that compartment storage underneath them in Ram and others models. I need a flat space for the dogs. I will not buy a toyota since I think they make the ugliest trucks on the planet. I dont think nissans have the tow ratings where I need them. I dont think I want to go with 2015 ford since my lease is up around the same time they come out, doubt very much they will have good incentives right away. Bottem line, I want a 4x4 truck extended cab for approx 31,000 to 33,500 after incentives and some wheeling and dealing.
__________________
Steve, Olean NY, 2004 TJ Rubicon & 2006 LJ Unlimited
1398653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #22
bigred33
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: duluth, georgia
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1398653 View Post
Not looking for a tow rig, need it to tow my jeep but primary purpose is DD, thats why I want to stick with half ton trucks.

I honestly like the way the Ram looks the best, plus their express model is a very good deal. I think you get more with express model that you get with Fords STX model for same price. I recently started looking at chevrolet and GMC. I like that the GM and Chev come with bumper step since I am short. My ford has the tailgate step which is nice. Ram doesnt have that but has other features I like plus I think its the best lookin truck. I also am dissaponted that the rear seats have all that compartment storage underneath them in Ram and others models. I need a flat space for the dogs. I will not buy a toyota since I think they make the ugliest trucks on the planet. I dont think nissans have the tow ratings where I need them. I dont think I want to go with 2015 ford since my lease is up around the same time they come out, doubt very much they will have good incentives right away. Bottem line, I want a 4x4 truck extended cab for approx 31,000 to 33,500 after incentives and some wheeling and dealing.
I grabbed an express for New Years 2013. 2012 model so it was on the lot for a while, got 10 grand off and got 6g for my silverado, $16,900, about 19 out the door with 40 miles on it - was their dealer parade vehicle. Not a 4x4 but I don't need or want it - this is my commuter vehicle.



Couldn't be happier and I'd recommend it.
bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #23
1398653
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Olean NY, New York
Posts: 1,066
Rams are sharp looking trucks. My wife keeps giving me grief for switching from Ford if I go that route. She is a Ford girl. I have always likes chrysler products but could get any american full size truck. I like to keep my options open.
__________________
Steve, Olean NY, 2004 TJ Rubicon & 2006 LJ Unlimited
1398653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #24
Soldier905
Registered User
1988 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: , michigan
Posts: 70
Quote:
I like that the GM and Chev come with bumper step since I am short
You can buy aftermarket bumpers that has steps in them , mount a step to the bumper (actual steps sold for that purpose) or the type that fit in a hitch slot . Another perk for the Dodge Rams is the Ram box system , it uses space between the bed and outer metal for storage on each side of the bed which is a really neat system they came up with and i have yet to see another brand take on that and put it in their vehicles.

I used to have chevy person but their designs and failures really turned me off to the truck side of the manufacturer and that's when i found Dodges .
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #25
jeepkid03
Winning
 
jeepkid03's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Storrs, CT
Posts: 5,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
You are aware the Toyota Tundra is built in Houston Texas , The Nissan Titan is made in Canton Mississippi . Dodge Ram 2500/3500's are made in Mexico the Ram 1500 is made in the US . 2014 sliverado/Sierra models are built in Mexico also.

So if you want American made your choices should be

Toyota
Ford
Nissan
Or Ram 1500

This. There is nothing "American" about Ford, Chevy, and Dodge now except that their CEOs might fly their helicopters around in America. That's about it.
__________________
-Josh

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #26
1398653
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Olean NY, New York
Posts: 1,066
Test drove a GMC Sierra yesterday just to check it out. Very impressed. Its on the list of possibles. Truck was loaded with goodies and was on sale for 36,500. MSRP was 42,000k. Seems like you get alot for your money. More truck like drive than Ram which has the sweetest ride so far on the trucks I have driven. Glad I got 7 months to figure this out. going to be a tough decision. The MSRP on my f150 was 41k when I leased it and was not nearly as loaded as the GMC.
__________________
Steve, Olean NY, 2004 TJ Rubicon & 2006 LJ Unlimited
1398653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #27
92XJT
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cascade, wi
Posts: 602
Briefly looked at 1/2ton trucks for the fun of it. It just sucks at how low the fronts sit to the ground now-a-days. Think the only 1/2 ton I remotely like is the Ford Raptor, and that is a wee bit pricey. Though my current truck only has 42k on it and it's an 07 so hopefully no new truck in the near future. Guys at work seem to be buying up new Fords left and right lately (3 of them got new fords within a year now).
92XJT is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.