fm no longer working, just am - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > fm no longer working, just am

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-21-2001, 11:12 AM   #1
jimv81z

fm no longer working, just am

96 grand cherokee, factory am,fm,casette radio - fm does not work anymore, just static, but am still working. Any ideas on what the cause could be? Is it something I can fix or do I need a new radio?

Thanks

jimv81z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2001, 01:55 PM   #2
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Sounds like the radio is toast. My folks' old '89 Grand (caravan) lost about 1/2 of the volume from one side of the car, so I threw an aftermarket deck in w/speakers. I have no clue what happened to that deck. I know I pulled the speakers out and I've still got them, but the double-din deck is nowhere to be found.

You can try pulling the antenna wire out and putting it back in, possibly it just lost connection, but other than that I've got no ideas.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2001, 08:12 PM   #3
KG4PAM

sounds like maybe it's the anttena cable, as horatio said. my dad's 86 f-250 had the same problem and i tried everything i could to fix it. i even put in an old deck i had lyin around, but that didn't work either. not sure about the ZJ, but on my dad's truck the problem was that the antenna cable had came loose. i took the 4 screws out that held the antenna to the hood, and there was no cable attached. looked in the hole, and there was the cable with a banana plug on the end. fished it out, plugged the cable into the antenna base, and reattached the assembly and the radio worked fine. as i said, i'm not sure about the ZJ, but it's bound to have a similar arrangement. just check that the antenna is connected at both ends. if they are, i would use an ohmmeter or continuity checker to see if the cable could be shorted or broken. your am radio should work fine, because there is a seperate ferrite antenna inside the radio that is unaffected by whether the aerial is plugged up. hope this helps! jairus
KG4PAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2001, 10:42 AM   #4
DeathCrush

yea, most likely its the antenna that just came unpluged, thatll happen if the connector isnt crimped too well, if then antenna IS connected then it sounds like youre going to have to by another receiver. my sugesstion is get a Pyramid, their website is www.pyramidcaraudio.com they have full DIN sized radios that will work fine...
172,000+ miles
1.5" boost up front, nadda" in rear :(
235/75 Goodyear MT/Rs
Tomken Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier
Custom Camouflage Interior
-->[URL]http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/herzeleid76/[/URL]

[URL]http://www.keiraknightley.com/[/URL] yea yea, she's worth it
DeathCrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.