First Responder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > First Responder

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 08-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

First Responder is one of the trainings my S&R offers.

What all does it entail?

And what's the real difference between it and EMT and Paramedic? Are there other similar trainings?

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
RockyMnt1

Scene safety/assessment/coordination
Patient triage
Patient assessment
Airway/Breathing/Circulation assessment
first aid (controlling bleeding, broken bones,etc.)

Great training for everyone.

First responder - limited scope of treatment (no needles/drugs (unless the patient takes them)), but can do CPR/O2 if needed. Make patient stable (head/neck imobilization), comfortable, and collect scene/patient information. The main responsibility is to activate the EMS system and get the AED working (if required).
EMT/Paramedic - Higher level of care. Can administer drugs based on certain criteria. Can start an IV. Usually takes over from a first responder (if present)
RockyMnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

EMT basic -vitals, stabilize and go.
Paramedic - intubations, medications, advance care

I was a basic for 4 years before getting my medic in 99.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
mrott
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedderX_ View Post
First Responder is one of the trainings my S&R offers.

What all does it entail?

And what's the real difference between it and EMT and Paramedic? Are there other similar trainings?
The previous posts pretty much sum it up. The first responder course is also about half as long as the EMT course. If your plan was to take the course for your own personal knowledge, then it would be probably be useful. If you plan to use it as a launch platform to run with an ambulance squad, skip it and just for for EMT.

I haven't actually taken it myself yet but it's on my plan somewhere. I'm an officer with the fire department and get dispatched to assist EMS on occasion. I'm now also being dispatched for all cardiac arrest calls in my first due. Having that little bit of extra knowledge/cert over the basic first aid/CPR/AED training could be useful but I have no desire to obtain and maintain an EMT certification.
mrott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.