Firewire (FW) 800 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Firewire (FW) 800

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-05-2010, 12:37 AM   #16
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhtJeep View Post
He is talking to you and you dont know the future of data transfer. It has nothing to do with firewire or USB
I'm talking about what is available to the typical consumer TODAY, or is expected to be available within 1-2 years, at today's prices.

My money is that Light Peak enabled devices are going to cost a lot more than what we are talking about today - much like BluRay costs a lot more than DVD.

Besides that, I don't get excited about anything that excites Sony (:

Besides THAT, I can guarantee you that the laptop I own for the next 4+ years will not have a Light Peak port on it, but it WILL have a Firewire 800 port on it (:

Last edited by waterboarder; 01-05-2010 at 03:38 AM..
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #17
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hahahaha, I like how you come back five hours later to amend your post so that it mentions cost to further suit your original statement. Light Peak is due out this year and you refer to it as technofantasy? Apple's rumored to start including it on systems by the end of the year. Since they already charge above and beyond what is average cost, either Light Peak is going to be relatively affordable, or Apple just won't care about losing sales by tacking on an expensive upgrade to an already expensive product.

Cost is all relative. I don't mind paying a little more for a newer technology, but I'm not going to drop 2K+ on a laptop. It's not like most home consumers are going to need 10/100 Gb transfer rates anyway, so what do you care if it's not immediately cost-effective for everyone? FireWire was the same way once, probably around the same time you were gloating about your blazing bi-directional parallel port.

Right now, Blu-Ray is about where DVD was in terms of cost when DVD was putting VHS into its grave. You're trying to compare a new industry standard to a 15 year old medium. You really don't get this progressive technology thing, do you?
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #18
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Instead of pathetic USB, I have been using FireWire for about 10 years. A couple years ago I switched from FW 400 to FW 800. If you want an even faster connection, then get eSATA. Not all devices support it. Card readers don't have eSATA support, for example. With an eSATA external hard drive you will wonder why you ever used an FW 800 drive.
2010Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Hahahaha, I like how you come back five hours later to amend your post so that it mentions cost to further suit your original statement.
Nothing wrong with clarifying.

Quote:
Light Peak is due out this year and you refer to it as technofantasy?
Yep. Vapourware is just that. It's not like ANY technology has ever been delayed or failed to actually appear as promised before. I'll believe it when I see it AND it is economically feasible for consumers.

Quote:
Apple's rumored to start including it on systems by the end of the year.
Apple is rumoured to do a LOT of things.

Quote:
Cost is all relative. I don't mind paying a little more for a newer technology, but I'm not going to drop 2K+ on a laptop.
I'm happy to spend $2K+ on a laptop....but not even willing to drop $100 on a movie disc player. Go figure.

Quote:
It's not like most home consumers are going to need 10/100 Gb transfer rates anyway, so what do you care if it's not immediately cost-effective for everyone?
That's just it, I don't care. As noted above (:

Quote:
FireWire was the same way once, probably around the same time you were gloating about your blazing bi-directional parallel port.
Maybe (:

Quote:
Right now, Blu-Ray is about where DVD was in terms of cost when DVD was putting VHS into its grave. You're trying to compare a new industry standard to a 15 year old medium.
And I didn't own a DVD then either, for the same reason. In fact, I just got my first DVD player over the summer, when they finally got cheap enough that I could justify getting one.

I dunno what you're *****ing at me for. All I said was that I like FW800 and it's a huge improvement over FW400 or USB2. I wasn't casting some grand vision of the future where our lives will be vastly improved by the mass proliferation of FW800 devices for years and years to come. FW800 will come and go just like all technologies before it. Big deal. I'm talking about today, the here and now.

Quote:
If you want an even faster connection, then get eSATA. Not all devices support it. Card readers don't have eSATA support, for example. With an eSATA external hard drive you will wonder why you ever used an FW 800 drive.
Yeah, I have an eSata hard drive (the one I mentioned above), but my computer doesn't have an eSata port ):
Unread 01-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #20
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Instead of trying to run the gauntlet of interpreting and responding to your spin-doctor statements, I'll just say enjoy your soon-to-be obsolete standard.
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #21
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Instead of trying to run the gauntlet of interpreting and responding to your spin-doctor statements, I'll just say enjoy your soon-to-be obsolete standard.
I figured as much.

As for obsolete....let's see....USB was created in 1996. It's now 14 years later and still going strong. Firewire was created in 1995. It's now 15 years later and still going strong. Twisted-pair ethernet has been around some 25 years. UNIX has been around since 1969.....and going stronger than ever. I guess I have a whole stack of "soon-to-be" obsolete technology (:
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #22
workinprogress
Children's books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
I figured as much.

As for obsolete....let's see....USB was created in 1996. It's now 14 years later and still going strong. Firewire was created in 1995. It's now 15 years later and still going strong. Twisted-pair ethernet has been around some 25 years. UNIX has been around since 1969.....and going stronger than ever. I guess I have a whole stack of "soon-to-be" obsolete technology (:
And you were created 40 years ago and went obsolete 25 years ago, so what's your point?
Merry Wacko Jeep club member #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Dear workinprogress,

Ye barely know each other but is it me you're looking for? Cause I wonder where you are and I wonder what you do. Are you somewhere feeling lonely or is someone loving you?
workinprogress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #23
Tarukai
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I'm happy to spend $2K+ on a laptop....but not even willing to drop $100 on a movie disc player. Go figure.
see, this makes sense, though. many laptops at that price range can be used to play those kinds of movies anyway, thus making it unnecessary for many people.

however, others don't care to use their computer as their movie player all the time.

either way, it's up to the user in the end.
______ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]

_.(o)_)__(o)_)-o-)_)
Tarukai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #24
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
And you were created 40 years ago and went obsolete 25 years ago
How do you figure? Ah....nevermind. sheesh.
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #25
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarukai View Post
see, this makes sense, though. many laptops at that price range can be used to play those kinds of movies anyway, thus making it unnecessary for many people.however, others don't care to use their computer as their movie player all the time.
Well, I wouldn't spend any amount of money on a laptop simply because I can use it to play movies. I buy a laptop for OTHER functionality. Its ability to play movies is just a bonus. Even if I couldn't use it to play movies, I wouldn't go out and spend $100+ on a DVD, BluRay, or other movie disc player. I just don't put that kind of value on watching movies.
Unread 01-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #26
Tarukai
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't spend any amount of money on a laptop simply because I can use it to play movies. I buy a laptop for OTHER functionality. Its ability to play movies is just a bonus. Even if I couldn't use it to play movies, I wouldn't go out and spend $100+ on a DVD, BluRay, or other movie disc player. I just don't put that kind of value on watching movies.
that was actually my point, lol. that functionality tends to be included on laptops in that price range, and thus it's an inclusive benefit, rather than an exclusive point of choice.

also, fair point on not paying exorbitant amounts for movies. I'm more of a music person myself.

also also, the only reason my family has a blu-ray player is because my dad got a sony one for free with AMEX rewards
______ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]

_.(o)_)__(o)_)-o-)_)
Tarukai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #27
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I buy a lot of video off of iTunes, and I then store it on an FW 800 drive. It was an a nice change over FW 400.

Recently I gave an old G4 iMac to my sister-in-law and I was setting up automatic backup for her to a USB drive, and wow was it slow as the Mac only has USB 1.0.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.