FedEx/UPS employees - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > FedEx/UPS employees

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 12-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
3S00W
2006 TJ Wrangler 

FedEx/UPS employees

how's "PEAK" been to you thus far?

my 6th peak with FDX but first as a courier... the other 5 were as a ramp agent in the MEM hub and wasn't too hard. This one is by far the hardest for me. oh well, I moved and did this for he new challenge. one more week!

3S00W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

Honestly, not so bad for me thus far. I work out on the ramp in 1DA though, so I see the craziness in the few days before Christmas, on the 23rd (well really the morning of the 24th since I work 3rd shift) last year I got like 9 1/2 hours in one night and I'm on a part time 3 hour load crew so that was a good check lol. Worldport is so automated at this point that we can handle the increased volume pretty easily, I wish I could get some overtime though.
Timothy_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing you're hurting because it is your first peak as a driver, what have the other couriers said?

So far we have had a very smooth peak. It helps that turnover has been down so everyone is skilled. I also work 1DA so I anticipate a busy Mon/Tues for us. Each year seems to get easier as we remember it being aweful and tend to overplan.
Unread 12-19-2009, 02:23 AM   #4
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i work for UPS. its been going decent for us right now. its my 3rd peak, and all of them have been loading rails. me and one other guy blew out 5 trailers the other night for one destination in about 7 hours.. that was a rough night. my first peak was the roughest physically and volume wise, 2nd was about the same, and this one seems a little lighter. we're still doing about 200k+ a night for the building, but we're handling it well. after peak i might move into primary sort. my back cant handle loading as easily as it did before

you air guys have fun next week. its gonna get blown up!
Unread 12-19-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_punk View Post
i work for UPS. its been going decent for us right now. its my 3rd peak, and all of them have been loading rails. me and one other guy blew out 5 trailers the other night for one destination in about 7 hours.. that was a rough night. my first peak was the roughest physically and volume wise, 2nd was about the same, and this one seems a little lighter. we're still doing about 200k+ a night for the building, but we're handling it well. after peak i might move into primary sort. my back cant handle loading as easily as it did before

you air guys have fun next week. its gonna get blown up!
I'll laugh all the way to the bank lol, I am not against working hard and the longer I work the more money I get. I just wish I was higher seniority, I've been there since July of '08 and every time I've signed up to work double shifts I get bumped off the list.
Unread 12-19-2009, 05:35 AM   #6
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well i've been through 15 "peaks" in 3 different job classifications with UPS.Been wrench'n for the past 5 1/2 years.This peak has been pretty smooth but very high demand for all the cars because we just scrapped about 50 this year.The first peak was by far the worst.We had 86 rentals from 3 different vendors to contend with.I just spent 2 1/2 hours getting home in this freak'n snow.Feeder drivers stuck everywhere.Volume seems to be fluctuating very heavily this peak.4 more days and it's over.Woot!
Unread 12-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
3S00W
2006 TJ Wrangler 

yea, some of the other couriers r complainin but i think the yr over yr trend is indeed less n less. MEMH is home for FDX so the hub was killin with over 1M pkgs a night. but cus u only tended to your own area we were doing ab 35 - 50K on our module. Anyway, I guess not knowing much of the area, only been here 3 mos, makes it a problem. gotta depend on the map for every area. Iḿ with Tim90, when that check rolls in, like every other year, itś gonna be OOOOOOO-K
3S00W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 02:55 AM   #8
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

wooooooooo last day of peak was tonight. lead supervisor fed us at break, and he gave all his part time supervisors a $30 bottle of gray goose! damn! i should have taken his (and countless others') offer and switched to supervisor months ago for a free bottle of vodka!
Unread 12-24-2009, 03:08 AM   #9
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

Yea, peak has been alright.

I am a night sorter for UPS. Peak has not been as bad as it was past couple years. But I am happy that it is almost done. I don't mind working more, because I am getting paid.

Monday was a PITA though and Tuesday I didn't get out until 4:15 because of the *******es at the airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 03:12 AM   #10
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

after the first of the year i'm going to start learning our primary sort. after 2 years of loading im over it. i need a change of pace. how do you like it?
Unread 12-24-2009, 03:20 AM   #11
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

Well, I became a sorter right off the bat. I have worked unload many times though, and if I had to choose, I would stick with sorting. It sometimes gets frustrating when you get iregs or one of the transverses are off or if you get stuck by yourself working a double. But in the end, I like it better. Less bending, (yes, I am 20, lol) and overall, easier I think. With peak, we had a lot of sort changes, and just keeping up with them slowed everyone down. Not to mention, we are the primary sort, so we are the only ones out of 4 sort aisles to get small sort returns. We stay until about 3:30 when all the other sorts have left around like 2:30...

Oh well, more money/hours for me.

Quote:
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Unread 12-24-2009, 03:27 AM   #12
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

yea. im in loadside right now, and have been since i started 2 years ago. it takes its toll on you for sure, my back isnt doing too great and im only 20 too. thats one reason why i want to go to sort. i've done unload for double shifts and thats way easier than loading.

going to sort would be about the same hours i work now, maybe a litte less. same pay, because i got a raise already for learning my belts' small sort. sometimes they throw me up there to clean them up and i like it so much better. i got offered a position in primary a couple weeks ago but i was told i have to wait till after peak when all the changes go back to normal.
Unread 12-24-2009, 03:33 AM   #13
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

Yea. For me, it was an extra $1 an hour. Well worth it. All you would need to do is pass the LTC test and make sure you are certified. Well worth it though. You are standing up majority of the time, so not a lot of bending. The only bad thing is when you have a 70 lb package going to a top belt. But eh, it is just a good workout. Better than picking that package up from the floor, imo.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-24-2009, 03:41 AM   #14
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

yea i already have that dollar for small sort. i'm for sure going to work on making the switch, i just wanted someone elses opinion.

you want a workout? go to loadside. just tonight i got a 27 piece special of 64 lbs boxes. that was no fun.
Unread 12-24-2009, 04:44 AM   #15
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

Well, peak ended up being pretty anticlimactic. Last night I got 5hrs and 45min and tonight I got 4hrs 45min. And all month we have only been marginally more busy than usual averaging about 4 hrs 15 min a night. We loaded a lot more bellies (I despise the 757) all month. Overall I wish I could have gotten more overtime and I think I could have done a few double shifts if I had signed up for more. Oh well, maybe I'll get lucky and we'll get another big snow storm this winter and I'll be rolling in overtime.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.