Ender's Game *spoilers* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Ender's Game *spoilers*

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Coyotes97
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ender's Game *spoilers*

I have been waiting 20 years for Ender's Game, one of my favorite books of all time, to be made into a movie. I just saw it today and was seriously disappointed.

First of all, Ender is 6 feet tall? In the book the Salamander's joke was that he could walk between Bonzo's legs without touching his balls. And why was he older at the beginning of the movie than he was at the end of the book?

Second? Bonzo is a midget? One of the most powerful moments from the book, where Ender is facing imminent death at the hands of a much older and larger boy, in the movie is a bigger kid (Ender) killing (maybe) a smaller kid by the most cliche of hollywood accidents?!

The movie says they need children because they learn complicated things so much faster than adults. But they appear to rush him through training in seemingly a few months.

The speed at which the movie went completely lost the struggles that Ender went through in battle school and command school. Other than him having a little whine session to Graf, there was no indication in the movie that they were being worked hard at all.

Speaking of whining, I am certain the Ender character from the movie was an entirely different person from the book just as Dap, Anderson, Petra, and others bore no resemblance to their print character.

They seemed wedded to a lot of the dialogue from the book without actually making sure the story was there to make it mean anything. Bean meaningfully turning to Ender to say "The enemy's gate is down" without ever making that phrase mean anything to the audience.

Other things they changed for no reason I could decipher. The whole purpose of the Giant's drink and the mind game, for example.

The flight in the game room was so slow and unimpressive.

Ender dual-wielded pistols and did a bunch of flipping and the tired spinning with both arms out shooting everyone is sight. A scene from every bad action movie in the last 20 years. *gag* I hate Hollywood for that.

Silly though it may be, I absolutely hate that the word "bugger" did not make one appearance even though I know OSC has been trying to scour it from his books for years. As they say in a hollywood masterpiece, Joe Dirt: "Don't try to church it up, son".

As I said, I have wanted to see Ender's game as a movie for a long time. I wanted to like this so much. I spent the first half of the movie trying to talk myself into liking it, but I couldn't.

They had a real challenge. At the same time I wished for Ender's game to hit the bigscreen I wondered how they would pull it off given that 80% of the book is in Ender's head. In some ways they did better than I thought they would. There were some impressive visuals and Asa Butterfield, though far too large, put on a pretty impressive performance with the exception of the argument with Graf, which didn't fit Ender's character anyway.

Given what I saw I think their biggest issue was that they were in such a rush to hit all the major story points in two hours, that they missed all the depth. Ender did most of the things he did in the book, but I didn't feel like it meant anything. I think if they had made two movies, with the first covering battle school and the second covering command school, and if they had made some better casting choices, they really could have had something here.

Maybe somebody will make a reboot in another 20 years?

Unread 11-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
PM Thor
Super Duper Guy

Location: Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour
It's a great book, and I am in no way surprised that the movie doesn't match up. Just from the ads it looks like they turned it into a gaphics laden shoot em up.
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

they all die at the end. In the movie "Break" He really is held hostage. In posiden adventure only a few get out

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
01CHEEKEE
2004 KJ Liberty 

So, like always, they ruined what coulda been a great movie adaptation of a book
01CHEEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
vmann7
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The book was amazing, just re read it a few months back. I don't doubt your issues with the movie I wondered how they were going to handle ender killing the bully. I have no plans on seeing it in the theater, just going to wait till HBO or whoever.
vmann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
Coyotes97
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01CHEEKEE View Post
So, like always, they ruined what coulda been a great movie adaptation of a book
Pretty much. I will say that everyone I know who has not read the book has enjoyed the movie.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.