JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/)
-   -   EMT/Paramedic (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/emt-paramedic-1586625/)

TedderX_ 09-14-2013 08:29 PM

Talk to me in general about these jobs, as careers.

What's the real difference between the two?

What's the pay difference?

They seem to be commendable jobs. Are they enjoyable long-term? Is it a job you can live off?

For instance, I don't want to be stuck in an office all day. And, you can't really live a decent life flipping hamburgers.

SKINUM 09-14-2013 08:47 PM

EMT ='s just above minimum wage.

Paramedic='s better pay but for most locations the pay isn't that great. In regards to pay it's quite a bit better pay than a EMT though & requires just a little extra class time.

If you're certain one of the two is the direction you're wanting to head go the paramedic route.

If you want options in the future go with a nursing degree. So, many options to expand upon your career if you decide to do so.

wiseguy52 09-14-2013 08:56 PM

Some of the abilities differ by state but here in PA it has to due with how much you can do. Both will go through the same "first aid" training. EMTs are now starting IVs, we are able to administer EPI-Pens, use AEDs, and basic life support.

Paramedics go through a lot more training on advanced medical. They are able to administer drugs, use manual defibrolators, intubate, and there is more that is too much to remember.

Pay is somewhat as described above, you can make a decent living as a medic, EMTs do not get paid much and you will find yourself working multiple jobs to get by.

As mentioned above, nursing school is another choice you need to look at.

03Jeeper 09-15-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedderX_ (Post 16010745)
They seem to be commendable jobs. Are they enjoyable long-term? Is it a job you can live off?
For instance, I don't want to be stuck in an office all day. And, you can't really live a decent life flipping hamburgers.

Right now I am loving wokring as an EMR, which is very basic stuff, I can't wait to move up to EMT. My goal is becoming a Paramedic.
But, you have to be willing to tough it out, I've heard stories of medics burning out and getting out of the work after 5-10 years. Very stressful career.

I'm looking to do my EMT this January, I can't give you much helpful detail as I'm in Alberta, Canada.

I believe the pay over here is higher, as an EMR, I can make around $22/hr, EMT's $27-33/hr, and Paramedics make around $34-40/hr.

Working up north in my province as an industrial medic is where you go to pay off the school loans and bills, or save for Jeep mods.
I make $300/day plus $50/day living allowance.

A paramedic can make around $700-1000/day. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

But onto care, as an EMR I can give epi, assist with ventilators (salbutamol/ipratropium bromide), give oxygen, give glucose and ASA, first-aid, cpr, etc. Basic life support.

EMT's over here can do the above, start iv's, king lt's, give salbutamol/ipratropium bromide in nebulizer and ventilator, give nitro spray, entenox, glucagon, d50w, can do 4 leads, read ecg's (to an extent), etc.

Paramedics can do all the above and much more, endotracheal intubation, 12 leads, more drugs, tracheostomy, needle decompression, etc etc.

It's a very big jump going from EMT(BLS) to Paramedic(ALS). My cousin is a Paramedic in Louisiana and he was looking to come over here and work industrial. Which you can do.

WhiteOut 09-15-2013 12:15 AM

^ I assume you're working for a private company, in camp and on a 10/4? 10 hour days?

Finallyajeep 09-15-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiseguy52 (Post 16011481)
Some of the abilities differ by state but here in PA it has to due with how much you can do. Both will go through the same "first aid" training. EMTs are now starting IVs, we are able to administer EPI-Pens, use AEDs, and basic life support.

Paramedics go through a lot more training on advanced medical. They are able to administer drugs, use manual defibrolators, intubate, and there is more that is too much to remember.

Pay is somewhat as described above, you can make a decent living as a medic, EMTs do not get paid much and you will find yourself working multiple jobs to get by.

As mentioned above, nursing school is another choice you need to look at.

Wiseguy52 EMTs are not permitted to start IVs in PA, where did you hear that? Just curious as I am an EMT in PA.

03Jeeper 09-15-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteOut (Post 16014817)
^ I assume you're working for a private company, in camp and on a 10/4? 10 hour days?

Private company, which there are dozens of, it really depends on the length of the job.

My last gig I worked 12 days, 8-10 hour days, stayed in a best-western.
If it's really remote, you'll stay in a camp. But I haven't had to do that yet.

AmbuGrl 09-15-2013 07:43 AM

Hell I would like to know where a medic is making a grand a day. I have been a medic since 99. EMT basic in Va no IV. We have enhanced and intermediate as steps for medic. A large portion of basics here are volunteer. Private co will hire but pay isn't great. Count in getting your evo (emergency vehicle operator) and going above EMT b.

If you are considering a career in this field, I highly recommend that you contact a local squad and see if you can do a ride a long shift or two. Its not all what TV makes it out to be/ nor what people think it is and a lot of people complete the program only to find out its not the field for them.

SKINUM 09-15-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmbuGrl
Hell I would like to know where a medic is making a grand a day. I have been a medic since 99. EMT basic in Va no IV. We have enhanced and intermediate as steps for medic. A large portion of basics here are volunteer. Private co will hire but pay isn't great. Count in getting your evo (emergency vehicle operator) and going above EMT b.

If you are considering a career in this field, I highly recommend that you contact a local squad and see if you can do a ride a long shift or two. Its not all what TV makes it out to be/ nor what people think it is and a lot of people complete the program only to find out its not the field for them.

The 700-$1000 a day is in Canada. I know several paramedics that would consider a move up North for that enormous jump in pay.

In the US you will find nothing relatively close to that pay. Probably, a 1/4 as a paramedic if you're lucky.

AmbuGrl 09-15-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKINUM (Post 16011225)
Paramedic='s better pay but for most locations the pay isn't that great. In regards to pay it's quite a bit better pay than a EMT though & requires just a little extra class time.

A little extra class time? EMT B is a semester long program, EMT P can take up to 2 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKINUM (Post 16019329)
The 700-$1000 a day is in Canada. I know several paramedics that would consider a move up North for that enormous jump in pay.

In the US you will find nothing relatively close to that pay. Probably, a 1/4 as a paramedic if you're lucky.

Im also pretty sure its not that easy to convert from the NREMT and State that you are associated with over to Canadian quals.

SKINUM 09-15-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

A little extra class time? EMT B is a semester long program, EMT P can take up to 2 years.

Im also pretty sure its not that easy to convert from the NREMT and State that you are associated with over to Canadian quals.

I'm sure it isn't either & i'm also sure the conversion to French wouldn't be so easy. I would think that one has to speak both French & English there.

In terms of class time "up to two years" isn't that long. Three to four semesters is nothing really. Between the two I'd definitely spend the extra three semesters and become a paramedic over a EMT.

AmbuGrl 09-15-2013 09:28 AM

Two years full time. No breaks. It not an extra 3, full time is winter, spring and summer here so it 5 semesters more minimum. It might not be nothing for you, but may be a lot to the OP. (especially when you add in hospital rotations and ride time with classes. Those hours minimal with Basic but a vast majority of time in Medic programs)

SKINUM 09-15-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Two years full time. No breaks. It not an extra 3, full time is winter, spring and summer here so it 5 semesters more minimum. It might not be nothing for you, but may be a lot to the OP. (especially when you add in hospital rotations and ride time with classes. Those hours minimal with Basic but a vast majority of time in Medic programs)

True, each person is different in terms of time constraints. For me two years isn't much time & is over before ya know it.

03Jeeper 09-15-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

It's a pretty extensive application process.

http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/h...uivalency.aspx

Over here, EMT-Paramedic programs take about 2 years, and other schools offer an intense shorter course too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKINUM

I'm sure it isn't either & i'm also sure the conversion to French wouldn't be so easy. I would think that one has to speak both French & English there.

Nope, majority of coworkers speak English. You'd be surprised how rarely you encounter someone who speaks only French, and then theres Quebec which is a different story.

cojab 09-15-2013 07:50 PM

Are you interested in a fire department at all. Paramedics there make pretty good money. At my department the medics start at 3k p/yr more than a firefighter and everyone has to be at least a basic. You wont be rich but you can definitely live on it, buy a house, raise a family, fix the jeep etc.
The private ambulance company's out here definitely don't pay basics enough on live on and medics don't get a whole lot more. I'm not trying to slam private's when I say this, but the medics working for fire departments out here seem a BUNCH happier with their jobs and don't show the burn out as much as the privates seem to.
I can't tell you how happy you would be working for a private company as I have never had to but I did have to do ride alongs with them for my basic certification and I didn't care for it at all. I can say the fire department has been extremely rewarding for me and has provided for me and my family since 97 and I still enjoy going to work everyday.
I agree with the above advice about doing some ride alongs (with both privates and fire departments if you can) and see how you like it. The lifestyle is a little different but like I said it can be great for the right person.
I commend you for looking at this line of work and wish you the best of luck.

The time now is 10:27 AM.