Emergency Kit/Supplies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Emergency Kit/Supplies

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 11-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Emergency Kit/Supplies

Well, the world is going to hell in a handbasket. What else is new?

I've got a family of 4+1 and we're getting ready for the unknown. And Google is no help, all I can find when I search for emergency preparedness is places to sell me crap.

Aside from the obvious answers like non-perishable food, water, guns/ammo, first aid kit, and a can opener - What are some of your emergency supplies like? Looking for specific items that worked (or didn't) or aren't painfully obvious for someone with half a brain.

About our situation - 2 young kids, wife is recently pregnant. Live in-town in a rural town of about 2500. Easy access to the mountains, and prodigious camping supplies. But of course this thread isn't just about me. Hopefully it can raise awareness and give other people some new ideas that make a big difference if we DO wind up in a SHTF scenario.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Books like those written by 'Joe Nobody' (yes, its a pen name) and one called 'Strategic Relocation' by Joel Skousen are probably worth a look.
Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #3
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

We bought a ton of seed from a company that will generate more seeds to grow more plants,most seeds bought in stores are engineered to be sterile and not reproduce.you can find them online they are called heirloom seeds. Besides the wife and daughter like to garden so why not go with good seed.
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
riverrunner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This question is on a lot of peoples mind these days whether they admitted or not. So its best to arm yourself with knowledge first.

There are a lot good books coming out about the topic so take time and go to the book store and look around.

Some other sources of how to and information that I find helpful are;

Mother Earth News

Oathkeepers

Offgrid Survival-some topics

I am following the path of long term sustainability. This involves canning, reducing my cost of living, storing extra everyday used items as well as all of the typical items like guns, ammo, medical and so on.

But dont forget to enjoy life along the way! This is a short list but I hope its helpful in planning for you and your families needs.
riverrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am also stocking up on beer,just in case.
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^That too... lol.

But seriously, small bottles of hard liquor to trade or bribe others with (or other comfort items). People do like to drink, and probably more so if things are really that bad.

I recall reading about a guy that he and his wife were fleeing from some communist country and used a bottle of liquor to bribe a solider with to let them get into the back of a truck.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

That's a good point. I read a novel a couple years ago that covered what happens when society falls apart (of course it was due to conspiracies and aliens and whatnot) but one of the characters prepared for it by stockpiling liquor - not for herself, but for trade. Something like that would be a good idea especially since we don't drink - it's something of value I can willingly part with for something I want/need.

I've added to my list a supply of emergency cash and some silver coins. I'll admit I'm far too dependent on plastic to buy things.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #8
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Think two other things for bartering,sugar and coffee.both are imported and very valuable.
Unread 11-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #9
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you live in a small rural town you most probably would be better off staying put and banding together.
A small community would have "experts" in differnet areas like farming, medical engineering, electrical etc. The ability to combine resouces and efforts is a benefit. Also smaller areas are very low priority targets because there is less to gain and more chance of a coordinated defense. A family on it's own is ripe for banditos and stockpiling stuff for trading is a good idea but having a pile of stuff defended by one or two adults is a pretty ripe target. Large cities have more to take and less sense of oneness, gangs will form and turf wars will mean random violence. so right in the middle you can form an us mentality have enough muscle to create de-fences and enough bodies to man those defenses(pun intended).
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/

Is a very good place for information. It covers all you need to know. It is populated by people who are not just planning for when the doo hits the fan but also people who live that type of lifestyle so they can easily tell you what works and what doesn't. Some of the members there have written books on the subject. Plus there are lists of books to read, plus many other links to help you with any situations that may arise.

It was started (if I remember right) by the previous owner of Jeepforum and some of the members. It is a good place to start.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.