Easiest way to cut/break open a round padlock? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Easiest way to cut/break open a round padlock?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 07-08-2010, 05:53 AM   #16
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

those locks are cut resistant but not any more pick resistant than any other lock. They are actually fairly easy to do with a rake or bump.

WARNING!! breaking a lock you don't own is vandalism and frowned on by police, getting caught picking a lock you don't own makes police look to see what felonies they can charge you with. If the lock, the door it's on and what's behind them aren't provably owned by you LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!!!!

vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #17
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

You need to state right now if you own the property or not. I will be deleting this thread for violation of the rules regarding illegal activity soon.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #18
cactus_jack
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
those locks are cut resistant but not any more pick resistant than any other lock. They are actually fairly easy to do with a rake or bump.

WARNING!! breaking a lock you don't own is vandalism and frowned on by police, getting caught picking a lock you don't own makes police look to see what felonies they can charge you with. If the lock, the door it's on and what's behind them aren't provably owned by you LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!!!!
i doubt he would be posting on here if he was trying to rob someone. unless hes a *******....which could be possible, given the amount of stupids on here anyway. but really, i dont think anyone truly cares whether or not the lock belongs to him
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #19
DUGA BOY
1997 TJ Wrangler 

my mother in law lost her key to one of those locks for her storage shed. I had to drill out the guts. that is the best way to get in.
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #20
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
You need to state right now if you own the property or not. I will be deleting this thread for violation of the rules regarding illegal activity soon.
Well now he will lie about it if he comes and posts back before you give it the delete.

Regardless, if you don't already have the tools to pick it you probably don't have the skill so you don't have the speed, and that makes it easier to get caught if it is not yours. that being said, if it is yours and you go and get the tools it is a pretty simple one to pick hence being good to learn on.. I am not going to watch the video that was posted to see if it is the best method, but from my experience (working private security, people would lock up things all the time on gov't/company property trying to prevent me from doing searches).

[QUOTE=ReconSeamanVet;9671080]You need to look her dead in the eye and say

"Baby,...I'm a recon man. I live a life of danger."[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Olive"]JeepForumRecon[COLOR="Silver"]Member #1[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
ReconBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #21
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

In before the lock down.
Cuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #22
Kerovick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuder View Post
In before the lock down.

I see what you did there.
Kerovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #23
Tormac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal21 View Post
Those would really bugger up the doors...

I've thought about a dremmel. Angle grinder might be a little big to do the job delicately.

Keep the ideas comin!
I've used a dremmel to cut off a lock like that. It took a long time, but it works. Be sure to get the carbon fiber cut off wheels if you go this way.
Tormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #24
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormac View Post
I've used a dremmel to cut off a lock like that. It took a long time, but it works. Be sure to get the carbon fiber cut off wheels if you go this way.
and breathe deeply....ha ha ha
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #25
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_jack View Post
i doubt he would be posting on here if he was trying to rob someone. unless hes a *******....which could be possible, given the amount of stupids on here anyway. but really, i dont think anyone truly cares whether or not the lock belongs to him

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #26
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Dang... Rusty is ready for the smackdown

I cut locks off all the time for legitimate reasons, so it didn't even occur to me how bad it might look to try and find info on JF to break in Thanks for the restraint, Rusty

I work for a steel building manufacturer. We do anything from garages to hangars to ag stuff to storage units. Owner has 2 properties in town where he's put up storage units. For the most part, his wife takes care of the units and all the accounting and paperwork, but she often has me help her with delinquent stuff.

For Rusty's peace of mind that things are on the up and up, Utah Code Title 38 Chapter 8 Sections 2 & 3 "the owner of the self-service storage facility and the owner's heirs, executors, administrators, successors, and assigns have a lien upon all personal property located at the self-service storage facility for rent, labor, or other charges, present or future, in relation to the personal property and for expenses necessary for its preservation or expenses reasonably incurred in its sale or other disposition under this chapter." That lien is effective the day you put your stuff in a unit. However, Section 3 says you can only act on that lien after 30 days of continuous default.

In short, stuff is technically the company's. I have to cut their lock off to take an inventory of the unit before putting my own lock on. No nefarious activity goin on here.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #27
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you put your own lock on how will the person who wants to come get their stuff going to gain access?

[QUOTE=ReconSeamanVet;9671080]You need to look her dead in the eye and say

"Baby,...I'm a recon man. I live a life of danger."[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Olive"]JeepForumRecon[COLOR="Silver"]Member #1[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
ReconBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #28
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconBen View Post
Regardless, if you don't already have the tools to pick it you probably don't have the skill so you don't have the speed, and that makes it easier to get caught if it is not yours. that being said, if it is yours and you go and get the tools it is a pretty simple one to pick hence being good to learn on.. I am not going to watch the video that was posted to see if it is the best method, but from my experience (working private security, people would lock up things all the time on gov't/company property trying to prevent me from doing searches).
I don't have the tools now, but I wouldn't mind getting a nice set. I used to have one back in the day and could get into any padlock fairly quickly, but that's been 20 years ago. No, no funny business going on back then either.

Since it's "my" stuff I'm going after, time doesn't matter. I've got all the time in the world. I was just looking for some input from smiths that might have extensive experience with these types of locks so they could tell me if they are easily pickable (sounds like they are) and which tool they prefer to do it with. I'd rather just buy 1 or 2 good quality rakes than buy some ~$40 set that includes a dozen picks I'll never need or use.

Thanks for the input!
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #29
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconBen View Post
If you put your own lock on how will the person who wants to come get their stuff going to gain access?
Exactly.

The stuff isn't theirs again until they get current on their bill

I'm only doing the cutting/inventory after they've been in default for MONTHS. Technically we can do it after 30 days, but boss' wife is way too nice
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #30
PecosRiver
2013 JK Wrangler 

Lock Pick - Lock Pick Tool - Duluth Trading Company

This is the lockpick I own and use. Works great. I'm a storage unit owner and own a convenience store there also and the number of times I use it on units and lockouts is staggering. It is as easy as the video shows, once you get it down. I'm self taught on doing this, so it's not rocket science.
PecosRiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.