Driving on the beach? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Driving on the beach?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-28-2008, 11:10 PM   #31
JeepPirate
2008 JK Wrangler 

airing down on the beach depends on the area I am going to especially on the outer banks. Last time I went out at Oregon Inlet, I didnt air down, nor did I put it in 4wd, the sand was so packed down it was just like driving on the road. Closer to the avon, frisco, hatteras area I always air down and use 4 hi. On Ocracoke airing down is usually a must, that is very soft sand and you will sink down when you stop moving at a normal pace. As mentioned before, always wash off underneath and at least spray it off ASAP.

JeepPirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #32
ElPaca19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys01TJ
fyi...
Newbie who never even heard of airing down....
He he, I know where that is

I usually air down to about 14 or so.

Hey, Cooneys01TJ, do these places look familiar???
BTW these are old pics.

[SIZE="1"]Mine: 2000 Black XJ Sport, D30 and 8.25 w/ Yukon 4.56's, 4.5" RE SF (plus a 1.75" Daystar spacer, 1.75" Teraflex shackle), OME LT Shocks, SJ SS, M.O.R.E Steering Box Brace, JKS Adj Track Bar, JKS Discos, AA SYE and TW CV DS, 15x8 Black Rock Krawlers, 33x12.5x15 Maxxis Bighorns, Bushwackers, ARB Bumper, 45 x 60 Surco rack, AJ's Super Rails, Class III rear hitch, 4 100w Hella 500's, Hella 550s, Hella Vision Plus, CB w/4ft Antenna, removable hood deck port, Borla cat back etc.[/SIZE]
ElPaca19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #33
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I dont know then?? I guess you need more experience driving on the sand...i mean would you go rock crawling without lockers?? probly not...its the same as driving on the beach aired down...its just what you call (common sense).... the pic I posted of the mazda stuck was a guy who parked his car for the day and then tried to drive back onto the main trail...needless to say he never aired down the tires and sunk his car to the frame because he spun his tires very mildly..when your tires are full pressure they dig instead of float....

I dont know what else to say to you other than...AIR DOWN...I was raised in Martha's Vineyard, MA where you can drive on the Chappaquidick beach..I have been doing it for as long as I can remember and have always aired down and I have seen the consequences of those who dont..

Dont be lazy or stubborn...trust me you vehicle will perform much better in the sand with a PSI in 12-15 range and you will help keep the beach in good condition..I really dont know what else to say at this point
Don't get me wrong. I'm aware airing down makes it a little easier to get around there. But vacationing out there makes it a huge pain to air up and down several times a day for a solid week. I have far better things to do on my week away from hell than to worry about my tire pressures on the beach for the mere matter of worrying about drive train abuse. Once I learned how to drive the ruts in a matter to fill them in rather than making them deeper I didn't worry about it so much.
Thanks for your concern though. It helps a lot of people out that wouldn't know otherwise.
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #34
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Newbie who never even heard of airing down....
BTW please explain what kind of cable that is, it looks awfully thin to be pulling out a power wheels, much less a mazda. Especially judging by the clamp near the end...
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:12 AM   #35
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPaca19

Hey, Cooneys01TJ, do these places look familiar???
BTW these are old pics.

Hey, ElPaca I know exactly where those pics were taken... i feel like I have seen you out there before...isn't it amazing?? I may be wrong but I feel like I pulled over and we ended up talking and having a beer..Was it you?? This was a few years ago..I just feel like I remember your rig...My jeep looked like this at the time...Look familiar?? Let me know if I am wrong....

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #36
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey
BTW please explain what kind of cable that is, it looks awfully thin to be pulling out a power wheels, much less a mazda. Especially judging by the clamp near the end...

That is a winch cable from the reservation's rescue truck..I tried to pull him out but the sand was way to soft where he was and I was risking getting stuck myself...luckily the rescue truck was making rounds and helped him out...I dont know how old the winch is or the cable..but they do pull people out all the time with that truck..I am not sure if they have had any problems..

heres another pic..

Unread 01-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #37
ElPaca19

Quote:
Hey, ElPaca I know exactly where those pics were taken... i feel like I have seen you out there before...isn't it amazing?? I may be wrong but I feel like I pulled over and we ended up talking and having a beer..Was it you?? This was a few years ago..I just feel like I remember your rig...My jeep looked like this at the time...Look familiar?? Let me know if I am wrong....

I am pretty sure that was me and yes we did have a beer and I think i had some shots too At the time I had 32's and mentioned I may get 33's. It was a few years back. I am just starting to plan when we will be going back up there to my in-laws. I think I may do 3 weeks during two separate trips. My sticker guess for this year is Red or Orange

Did you go out to the breach last year? Good fishing if you are careful. On the backside it is like a bathtub for swimming. I hear that it is not closing up like in past times it has opened. You going up this year? If so, when?

Evil Monkey - That would be a winch cable if I had to guess.
[SIZE="1"]Mine: 2000 Black XJ Sport, D30 and 8.25 w/ Yukon 4.56's, 4.5" RE SF (plus a 1.75" Daystar spacer, 1.75" Teraflex shackle), OME LT Shocks, SJ SS, M.O.R.E Steering Box Brace, JKS Adj Track Bar, JKS Discos, AA SYE and TW CV DS, 15x8 Black Rock Krawlers, 33x12.5x15 Maxxis Bighorns, Bushwackers, ARB Bumper, 45 x 60 Surco rack, AJ's Super Rails, Class III rear hitch, 4 100w Hella 500's, Hella 550s, Hella Vision Plus, CB w/4ft Antenna, removable hood deck port, Borla cat back etc.[/SIZE]
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #38
ElPaca19

Quote:
That is a winch cable from the reservation's rescue truck..I tried to pull him out but the sand was way to soft where he was and I was risking getting stuck myself...luckily the rescue truck was making rounds and helped him out...I dont know how old the winch is or the cable..but they do pull people out all the time with that truck..I am not sure if they have had any problems..

heres another pic..
Up by the Jeddy??????
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #39
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

heres another pic..
[IM G]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/2163000-2163999/2163403_16_full.jpg[/IMG]
Ok then using a winch makes my guts untwist with that one. That would be scary to yank with. I also like how the tribute has the wheels turned the wrong way
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #40
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I am pretty sure that was me and yes we did have a beer and I think i had some shots too At the time I had 32's and mentioned I may get 33's. It was a few years back. I am just starting to plan when we will be going back up there to my in-laws. I think I may do 3 weeks during two separate trips. My sticker guess for this year is Red or Orange

Did you go out to the breach last year? Good fishing if you are careful. On the backside it is like a bathtub for swimming. I hear that it is not closing up like in past times it has opened. You going up this year? If so, when?

Evil Monkey - That would be a winch cable if I had to guess.
haha it was you!! i guess we still have our memory! I did go to the breach this past year multiple times...One night in August I got an 18 pound Bass...the same night my brother hooked a smaller blue and while he was reeling it in a cow of a bass followed it right up to the shore and missed the blue by mere inches..one of the best nights fishing I have had a long time...i ended that night with the 18 pounder, one smaller bass, and 2 nice sized blues..my brother caught 5 bass and a blue...it was a great night..i went back the next night and got skunked (figures)...I am definitely going up this summer..just not sure when exactly i can get the time off..PM me if you get an idea of when your going...we should hook up and go fishing..glad to see you still have your jeep..thing is sweet...

Unread 01-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #41
ElPaca19

Quote:
haha it was you!! i guess we still have our memory! I did go to the breach this past year multiple times...One night in August I got an 18 pound Bass...the same night my brother hooked a smaller blue and while he was reeling it in a cow of a bass followed it right up to the shore and missed the blue by mere inches..one of the best nights fishing I have had a long time...i ended that night with the 18 pounder, one smaller bass, and 2 nice sized blues..my brother caught 5 bass and a blue...it was a great night..i went back the next night and got skunked (figures)...I am definitely going up this summer..just not sure when exactly i can get the time off..PM me if you get an idea of when your going...we should hook up and go fishing..glad to see you still have your jeep..thing is sweet...

I will let you know. Do you stay on Chappy?
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #42
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Up by the Jeddy??????
yup like a football field away...its funny right after this pic was taken a school of blues came through..I ended up hooking up with 3 of them within 10 minutes..good karma for trying to help the guy out i guess??? haha

Quote:
Ok then using a winch makes my guts untwist with that one. That would be scary to yank with. I also like how the tribute has the wheels turned the wrong way
yea that guy had no idea what he was doing...when I pulled up he was using that little red plastic shovel to dig his car out...pretty pathetic..

Unread 01-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #43
ElPaca19

Quote:
yup like a football field away
Man about two years ago I was up by there around the 4th of July and knowing there is really soft sand you know to be careful. Well I start fly fishing and turn around in my back cast and see two vehicles parked right behind me glaring at me. There was an X5 and an M class Mercedes both on low pro street tires and for some unknown reason they thought that by the jeddy was the best place to stop and set up for the day. Talk about neewbies!!!!! Needless to say they both got stuck trying to leave later on.
Unread 01-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #44
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There was an X5 and an M class Mercedes both on low pro street tires and for some unknown reason they thought that by the jeddy was the best place to stop and set up for the day. Talk about neewbies!!!!! Needless to say they both got stuck trying to leave later on.
I saw that before with a full size suburban. My best recovery was a 2wd ford escape that made it less than 50ft from the road before getting stuck.
Unread 01-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #45
ElPaca19

Quote:
I saw that before with a full size suburban. My best recovery was a 2wd ford escape that made it less than 50ft from the road before getting stuck.
Haha. I have seen that too. Down in Corolla on the OBX I saw a 2WD mini conversion Dodge Van thingy get stuck. I have no idea how they made it as far as they did but they ended up getting stuck at the narrowist point of the beach right where everyone has to go through. For those who know the area people use that as a main road. Needless to say that really held up traffic and ddi not make friend's with the locals that day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.