Driving on the beach? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Driving on the beach?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 01-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #16
Vaj

What's with this airing down bs. I had a rental Nissan Murano with crappy all-seasons down at the beach and was just fine.

My advice; don't drive in the water.

Vaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #17
Ripcurlsurfin96
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaj
What's with this airing down bs. I had a rental Nissan Murano with crappy all-seasons down at the beach and was just fine.

My advice; don't drive in the water.
I personally dont air down and i used to have a set of 32x11.50 BFG A/Ts but OBX has some real "sugary" sand in some spots and ive seen people have problems till they did air down some...
Unread 01-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #18
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey
Air down to about 25 PSI. What "4 door" do you have? Stop and help stuck people when you can. ALWAYS slow down to a near crawl when you are driving around people. Carry a RECOVERY strap and good lights in case you get stuck there at night. Anything else you want to know just ask!

Remember to get some good pictures!!
25 psi won't do you any good. Waste of time. I air back up to 25 psi when I get off the trail, and hit 32psi when I get home. If you are going to air down...13 psi is the most I would leave in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out www.blackhillsjeeps.com!
Black Hills TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #19
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills TJ
25 psi won't do you any good. Waste of time. I air back up to 25 psi when I get off the trail, and hit 32psi when I get home. If you are going to air down...13 psi is the most I would leave in there.
Yup... 25-26 is what I run on the street. Jeeps don't weigh the same as full size vehicles.
Like I said before... 'back in the day', when I had a set of the old armstrong maxi-tracs bias ply, I'd air them down to 5-6 psi and go where ever I wanted. Of course having a 350 small block did'nt hurt, either.

If the OP has stock tires, then IMHO, 12-15 would be good. Can always go lower. A small shovel is a good idea to have, along with a decent air pump. Cosco has a nice little portable that works pretty well and its only around 50 bucks. Can't beat that.

I did a test on my 35's. From 12 psi back up to 25psi, took less than 3 min. Not bad for a cheapy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #20
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I may have to look into the little costco unit. I'm sure I could hardwire it to my battery and mount it somewhere. Thanks!
Quote:
Unread 01-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #21
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills TJ
I usually leave my tires at 32psi unless I have a lot of stuff in the jeep or I have to pull someone out. I rarely have any problems with the Jeep or the Honda, neither one has gotten stuck and the Honda I have never aired down.
1987 Coleman Columbia
EvilM0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #22
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I usually leave my tires at 32psi unless I have a lot of stuff in the jeep or I have to pull someone out. I rarely have any problems with the Jeep or the Honda, neither one has gotten stuck and the Honda I have never aired down.

If you are fine at 25, then you would be fine at 32 psi. If you notice a difference, its because of a difference in driving. Unless you drop below 15 psi, you probably won't notice much of a difference airing down.
Quote:
Unread 01-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #23
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I dont understand the guys on here who do not air down. It is our right to follow the "tread lightly" motto. First and foremost airing down to atleast 15 PSI will cause less stress on the beach. Keeping your tires aired up gives you a smaller footprint and causes you to dig into the sand rather than float..this causes more stress on the environment and your jeep...It is your right to respect our environment so air down!!!

Also, airing down gives your tire a longer footprint which will help the Jeep float rather than sink..also airing down will cause less strain on your drivetrain because the jeep does not have to work as hard to get through the soft sand...

Do NOT be ignorant or lazy and think you do not need air down....just because you "havent had any problems yet" is not a reason to not air down..the environment and your jeep will thank you later...

sorry for my long post

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #24
kiksroks
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM
Yup... 25-26 is what I run on the street. Jeeps don't weigh the same as full size vehicles.
Like I said before... 'back in the day', when I had a set of the old armstrong maxi-tracs bias ply, I'd air them down to 5-6 psi and go where ever I wanted. Of course having a 350 small block did'nt hurt, either.

If the OP has stock tires, then IMHO, 12-15 would be good. Can always go lower. A small shovel is a good idea to have, along with a decent air pump. Cosco has a nice little portable that works pretty well and its only around 50 bucks. Can't beat that.

I did a test on my 35's. From 12 psi back up to 25psi, took less than 3 min. Not bad for a cheapy.

I got the same compressor. It works VERY well for 50.00. I've looked and it would probably fit really nice in the tray under the brake booster, if that space isn't already taken. The wiring would be a breeze, maybe even a remote tank and a pressure switch hmmm....

Back on topic as has been said, air down 12-15 psi, carry a small shovel and a tow strap just in case, and momentum is king in deep sand. 4-low will most likely be neccesary in the soft stuff.

Low Output 4cyl Jeep Club Member #777
<><
kiksroks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #25
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys01TJ
I dont understand the guys on here who do not air down. It is our right to follow the "tread lightly" motto. First and foremost airing down to atleast 15 PSI will cause less stress on the beach. Keeping your tires aired up gives you a smaller footprint and causes you to dig into the sand rather than float..this causes more stress on the environment and your jeep...It is your right to respect our environment so air down!!!

Also, airing down gives your tire a longer footprint which will help the Jeep float rather than sink..also airing down will cause less strain on your drivetrain because the jeep does not have to work as hard to get through the soft sand...

Do NOT be ignorant or lazy and think you do not need air down....just because you "havent had any problems yet" is not a reason to not air down..the environment and your jeep will thank you later...

sorry for my long post
I agree mostly. However I only drive on the public roads.
Please tell me what I'm hurting by not airing down and I will start doing it.
1987 Coleman Columbia
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #26
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree mostly. However I only drive on the public roads.
Please tell me what I'm hurting by not airing down and I will start doing it.
Evil, just so you know I wasnt picking on you, you were just the closest response

Anyways, airing down causes much less stress on the beach itself. When tires are at full pressure they are much more hard and less forgiving..aired up tires cause the jeep/truck/etc to dig in to gain traction, thus creating ruts and the ever annoying "washboard" which make the ride extremely uncomfortable...this all will end up changing the beach layout...the beach is always eroding and and moving..we have no idea what impact our driving has on a beach until its usually too late..creating a rutted out beach could hurts its stability and cause extreme erosion in a certain area, which in turn will change the formation of the dunes, which will in turn destroy nesting habitats of all the animals we share the beach with...everything is connected here and one thing will lead to the other....I just want to make people understand that not only will airing down help protect the beach and keep it in it's original condition but it will also make it easier to drive in.....

Last edited by Cooneys08JK; 01-28-2008 at 04:38 PM..
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #27
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

fyi...

Aired down.....

Newbie who never even heard of airing down....

Unread 01-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #28
Dr. Righteous
1994 ZJ 

Check this thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/jeepin-beach-471138/
'04 Durango Limited (the wife mobile)
'72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus (Resto MoPar)
Dr. Righteous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #29
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys01TJ
Evil, just so you know I wasnt picking on you, you were just the closest response

Anyways, airing down causes much less stress on the beach itself. When tires are at full pressure they are much more hard and less forgiving..aired up tires cause the jeep/truck/etc to dig in to gain traction, thus creating ruts and the ever annoying "washboard" which make the ride extremely uncomfortable...this all will end up changing the beach layout...the beach is always eroding and and moving..we have no idea what impact our driving has on a beach until its usually too late..creating a rutted out beach could hurts its stability and cause extreme erosion in a certain area, which in turn will change the formation of the dunes, which will in turn destroy nesting habitats of all the animals we share the beach with...everything is connected here and one thing will lead to the other....I just want to make people understand that not only will airing down help protect the beach and keep it in it's original condition but it will also make it easier to drive in.....
The washboard is created mainly by excessive speed and acceleration, not as much because of normal tire pressures. Modified driving techniques will always help to reduce rutting even with tires that aren't aired down. Learn how to control the throttle and steering wheel and getting stuck will be hard to do. If I can take a softer wheeling Honda out there and not get stuck I'm convinced a lot of others can do the same with some know how (common sense).
While renting a house in the 4x4 only section I saw a loaded down subaru outback ride by. (about 10 miles from the nearest paved road).
1987 Coleman Columbia
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #30
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The washboard is created mainly by excessive speed and acceleration, not as much because of normal tire pressures. Modified driving techniques will always help to reduce rutting even with tires that aren't aired down. Learn how to control the throttle and steering wheel and getting stuck will be hard to do. If I can take a softer wheeling Honda out there and not get stuck I'm convinced a lot of others can do the same with some know how (common sense).
While renting a house in the 4x4 only section I saw a loaded down subaru outback ride by. (about 10 miles from the nearest paved road).
I dont know then?? I guess you need more experience driving on the sand...i mean would you go rock crawling without lockers?? probly not...its the same as driving on the beach aired down...its just what you call (common sense).... the pic I posted of the mazda stuck was a guy who parked his car for the day and then tried to drive back onto the main trail...needless to say he never aired down the tires and sunk his car to the frame because he spun his tires very mildly..when your tires are full pressure they dig instead of float....

I dont know what else to say to you other than...AIR DOWN...I was raised in Martha's Vineyard, MA where you can drive on the Chappaquidick beach..I have been doing it for as long as I can remember and have always aired down and I have seen the consequences of those who dont..

Dont be lazy or stubborn...trust me you vehicle will perform much better in the sand with a PSI in 12-15 range and you will help keep the beach in good condition..I really dont know what else to say at this point

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.