Dog Owners! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Dog Owners!

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dog Owners!

This is long, but very worth the read. The writer of this is my Akitas groomer and the founder of Rakki Inu Akita- Akita Rescue here in Va Beach. Please read, you will understand why towards the middle/ end.

BACKGROUND:

When I woke up on Thursday morning, June 21, I noticed right away that Sasha was missing. All the other dogs were home, but she was gone! After inspecting the back yard, I found the small hole she had dug under the fence, and immediately set out to look for her.

After an hour of driving the neighborhood, I decided to go check the local SPCAs and Animal Controls - yes, plural, as I live where three cities meet! I spent the next two hours driving all over the place filing reports and checking kennels to see if she had been picked up. I called Home Again, her microchip company, and reported her missing.

By the end of Thursday, no news. By the end of Friday, no news.

Thunderstorms rolled through the area Friday night and I worried for my girl; she has never liked storms. That's when I started posting on every Facebook page I could think of. Someone MUST have found her and had her in their home... She is a therapy dog and VERY friendly. A great "find" for a less than honest person.
__________________________________________________ _________

Saturday morning and I had a small army looking for her locally. Thanks especially to Cissei and Antonio for using their connections to Chesapeake Police to increase the eyes looking for her, putting up and handing out flyers, and scouring the cities for her. Another special thanks to Brittany Peiser for calling almost EVERY vet in the area looking for her and filing lost reports, and Jenny and Jim for distributing flyers. I went and distributed lost flyers to all the local Animal Controls and SPCAs early that morning as well.

So I went to a movie Saturday afternoon - had had this special event (Can't Stop the Serenity Big Damn Shindig) planned for several weeks already. Just as the first movie ended and we came to intermission, I noticed my phone was illuminated in my purse (silenced so as not to disturb the other movie goers). I listened to the voicemail from a missed call that came in not 2 minutes before. It was a frantic sounding employee of Norfolk SPCA saying that they may have some info on my missing dog and to call them back immediately.

THE IMPORTANT PART STARTS HERE

I called... put on hold... while on hold, Brittany calls me. I click over to the other line to tell her that I was on the phone with Norfolk SPCA who might have news on Sasha. She tells me that she knows and all about the situation and her recent conversation with them... A guy had come in with a dog that looked like Sasha asking for free dog food for "his" dog. The SPCA staff had my lost dog flyer behind the counter (where the guy could not see it) and recognized Sasha from the photo. He claimed to have owned her for two months already. Norfolk SPCA was stalling him as best they could, but they could not keep him there; he kept saying he had an appointment to get to. They had scanned the dog, but no microchip registered on the scanner.

I got in my car and flew down there - thankfully no more than a 10 minute drive. Of course I hit EVERY slow driver and red light...

I fly into the parking lot and go inside, my stomach all in knots. I look to my left and there is a early 20-something guy sitting there with Sasha! I look at her, I look at him..., "That's MY dog!" I say angrily.

"No ma'am, I'm sorry. Your mistaken. I've had this dog for two months," he says.

I look at her, give her the hand signal to sit, then speak. She responds immediately. Again I looked at him and stated, "THAT'S MY DOG." Again he denied it.

I walked to the counter of the SPCA and pulled out my personalized credit card with her picture on it. Then I pulled out her therapy dog license with her picture on it. I looked at them and said again, "THAT'S MY DOG!" I was starting to cry and quiver with rage and adrenaline.

Again he denied it. At this point the lobby is full of SPCA staff, volunteers, and adopters all watching and all staring at him in disbelief. One of the staff looked at him over the counter. "Really sir...?!"

At this point I crouched down and started talking to Sasha. She began to bounce and howl and try with all her might to reach me. He finally relented and let her off the leash to get to me. I buried my face in her coat and sobbed.

It was at this point that his story completely changed. Now he was claiming that he bought her from some lady in the Sandbridge section of Virginia Beach (on the OTHER side of town!!) for $125 and that he had just had her groomed that morning. It was clear that someone had taken some scissors and given her a dreadful home haircut down the middle of her back like an inverted mohawk, but it was definitely no professional groom! He then proceeded to give me the "name and number" of the lady he bought her from (the number was not in service). Then he wrote down his name and number saying that he was just so thankful that she got back to her owner, and if we ever needed a dog-sitter or a volunteer... (yea, RIGHT!). That he thought the situation seemed weird to begin with. The "lady" had an ad up for Sasha calling her a husky/chow mix and that the "lady" just couldn't care for her anymore.

Heather, a co-worker sent by Brittany to stall the guy, arrives at this time and also positively identifies the dog as Sasha and that she belongs to me.

He hung around a bit more changing his story and trying to make himself into the hero. We played along trying to get him to leave. After he left we tried to scan her for her chip again to see if it had migrated, but still nothing showed up. I will be getting her re-implanted and I will be contacting Home Again with this story!!!

I thanked and hugged the SPCA staff and gave the SPCA an $80 donation (all the cash I had on me).

Later Brittany called the number the guy had left with me and he acutally answered. He then repeated the story to her (he was on speaker so I could hear him), but the story had MORE twists. Suddenly he had gotten Sasha with his girlfriend and had actually just gone along while she looked at the dog. He said the guy they had "bought" her from (previously it was a woman named Michelle) seemed weird and that he had actually taken Sasha to the Norfolk SPCA to see if she was missing or stolen. That he was happy to wait while the SPCA tried to contact the actual owner. Finally Brittany became so frustrated with his BS that she told him there was a special place in hell for him and hung up on him!

So Sasha is home with her bad home hack-job of a haircut, but safe and sound!!

Thank you so much to all who helped and especially to the Norfolk SPCA (Michelle and Tori!!!) without whom I would probably never have seen my girl again!

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Very important to check your microchips on regualr basis; the vet can do it. However, there are several brands of microchips and they are not all compatible with all scanners. I work with a rescue organization and we have found chips on "unchipped" dogs based on which brand of scanner is used with what brand chip.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Our SPCA and animal control offices use two types of scanners. Neither picked them up. The bad thing here was the guy claimed it was his dog and he had her for two months etc.. Then of course the story changed, several times

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think our dogs are chipped by Home Again (my wife had them chipped). I guess we need to check them to make sure they are reading properly. Thanks for the heads up and I'm happy to hear things worked out even though it sounds like the stress was unbearable.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB # 621[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
It's not much, but check out my build thread;
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kevkaoss-05-red-rubicon-build-thread-1170741/[/url]
[QUOTE=krashnpa;12397572] I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=squazz;13612008]so I use my original nuts?[/QUOTE]

You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
KevKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm still seething at the thought of Sasha straining to get to her owner and being held back! So glad they were re-united and I'll be heading to the vet to have the girl's and both boys' chips checked. Thanks for the PSA, Ambu.

[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Lol, Sasha is an Akita Mix.. Meet Sasha (and her owner Kira in the pic under all of the critters at her pet spa - they dont use crates lol)
_facebook_120485417_.jpg   _facebook_1118460231_.jpg   184837_1688773737233_1657622_n.jpg  

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Unread 06-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
GunMetalBlue
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting, I'll be sure to check both of my pup's microchips next time they are at the vet.

[FONT="Arial Black"][B][I]shall not be infringed[/I][/B][/FONT]
GunMetalBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for that reminder. We need to have our chips checked too...

Glad it all worked out. If that had been my dog, a police call would have been made.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Police couldn't do anything. Dog was loose and he found her.

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Unread 06-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
Kerovick

I beleive Ericklp means he would have kicked the dudes ***.
Kerovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

LOL would hate to be that cat

"5 dogs, 9 lives, im making a break for it"

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerovick
I beleive Ericklp means he would have kicked the dudes ***.
Lol now that be the truth. As for the cat... haha

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

As sad as this story could have been, and as low as humans get with stealing dogs, I recently found two beautiful pups abandoned in the woods. They went to the vet and are 12 weeks old...we brought them home. I needed another dog like I need another hole in my head, but hey, we couldn't leave these two boys in the woods....one lives with me now and the other lives with my daughter, so a happy ending for you AmbuGrl, and a happy ending for the pups I did find in the woods. Here's the herd....lol

Unread 06-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj
As sad as this story could have been, and as low as humans get with stealing dogs, I recently found two beautiful pups abandoned in the woods. They went to the vet and are 12 weeks old...we brought them home. I needed another dog like I need another hole in my head, but hey, we couldn't leave these two boys in the woods....one lives with me now and the other lives with my daughter, so a happy ending for you AmbuGrl, and a happy ending for the pups I did find in the woods. Here's the herd....lol
They are quite lucky to have found a warm and caring home!

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Unread 06-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbuGrl View Post
They are quite lucky to have found a warm and caring home!
I'd also say that you are very fortunate to have cultivated so many "dog lovers" in VA Beach, sounds like you have an "army" of good people there...it's good to hear "happy endings". It's rather common for us to have four legged visitors in the yard, we let them hang around awhile, then walk them home....it's very fun, since we don't leash them to take them home, they just know the routine....

I'm sincerely glad that you got your pup back.............

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.