Dog Craps In Floor!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Dog Craps In Floor!!!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 08-03-2004, 09:05 AM   #1
BeatAChevy289

Dog Craps In Floor!!!

HOW do I keep my dogs from crapping in the floor?!?!?! We got a puppy about 5 months ago (she's 6 months now) and every morning when I wake up there is dog crap in the living room! Every day when I get home from work there is dog crap in the living room! This happened suddenly, the new puppy didn't always do this and we take her outside all the time. It wouldnt be so bad if it were maybe once a week, but it's almost always twice a day...Our other dog that is like 11years old has started taking after the puppy and he does it too. Such a pain...any tips? Later <><

1966 Ford Mustang, Hi-Po 289 V8, 4:11's, I dare you to race me.
<><
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/id/blackyj95]Cardomain Site[/URL] (different from the other link)
BeatAChevy289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2004, 09:07 AM   #2
wyldejackyl

You need to catch them in the act. Say no, slap them in the nose, put their face almost into it and yell, "NO!" then put them outside.

Might be harsh but it's always worked for me.
55/100W H4 Hella headlamp conversion w/ dual relays
wyldejackyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2004, 09:56 AM   #3
robbieaoa
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Just use a cork, then at the end of the day, take him outside, remove cork, empty, reinstall cork and repeat the next day!!! hahahahahah
Rob
robbieaoa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2004, 10:05 AM   #4
Ole Yeller
2010 JK Wrangler 

Get a kennel. Always put the pup in the kennel when you are gone and when you go to bed. They will not mess up the kennel where they sleep unless it's an emergency. I think I heard that a pup cannot hold it for more than like 3 or 4 hours but an adult dog can hold it more than 8 hours.

I have a Lab that was kept in a kennel until she was 7 months old. She has messed up twice in the 4 years since and both times she was sick. Yuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk..... (If you can guess what I mean).

It works like a charm.

Be sure you get a kennel large enough for them to lay down comfortably and still have room for food and water.
2000 TJ Sport
My previous Jeeps
1992 Wrangler S (Ole Yeller)
1985 Cherokee Pioneer
1989 Cherokee Laredo
1995 Cherokee Country
1996 Cherokee Country
1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Ole Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2004, 10:10 AM   #5
wyldejackyl

The guy's cork idea actually reminded me of something. Sometimes puppies have a hard time controlling themselves, and this could be for two reasons: One, they don't know how yet..for most dogs its intuitive, but others don't get it right away. You can force them to, however. And two, sometimes if you feed them early in the morning, they get the urge to go in the afternoon. Try feeding them when you get home from work, and then taking the dog out before you go to bed. This might work.

Also, a dog will never ***** in his own den. He doesn't understand your house is part of where he belongs yet. The treatment I described above helps with accidents, but will not housebreak a dog unless you are REALLY lucky.

The way I know how is to get a dog crate/cage. This is their place. It's not a place of fear, but a place that's their own. IE if they do something bad and run in there..you NEVER go in after them. You can yell at them outside of it, but you should not reach into it as they need to see that as their own space. For the first say week or so, they should be in there whenever you aren't home, or whenever you cannot watch them. Always put fresh newspapers in the tray. Really young puppies will crap themselves and make a mess of the thing. You come home, take them out and bathe them, and clean the cage up. One day you will come home, and there will be no mess. If you get too big of a crate, they will crap by the door and sleep on the other side. It needs to be big enough they can turn around in it and get comfortable, but not have all this room. The day you come home and there is no mess, you praise them like they saved your life, give them a treat, and tell them they were a good boy/girl. After a few days of this, you need to give them more. Put the crate in the kitchen or some place where there is no carpet, cover all the garbage cans to eliminate temptation, and put up dog fences to keep them in the kitchen. If you come home and there's crap on the floor, the whole process repeats itself. If they are good, you praise them and see how long they can go. If they make it a week with no mistakes, then you give them the kitchen, plus one other room, and see what happens. Eventually, they will learn that your house is their "den" and that if they need to crap they will scratch at the door or bother you to take them out.
Dogs are smart don't sell them short.
Unread 08-03-2004, 10:25 AM   #6
alilredjeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldejackyl
The guy's cork idea actually reminded me of something. Sometimes puppies have a hard time controlling themselves, and this could be for two reasons: One, they don't know how yet..for most dogs its intuitive, but others don't get it right away. You can force them to, however. And two, sometimes if you feed them early in the morning, they get the urge to go in the afternoon. Try feeding them when you get home from work, and then taking the dog out before you go to bed. This might work.

Also, a dog will never ***** in his own den. He doesn't understand your house is part of where he belongs yet. The treatment I described above helps with accidents, but will not housebreak a dog unless you are REALLY lucky.

The way I know how is to get a dog crate/cage. This is their place. It's not a place of fear, but a place that's their own. IE if they do something bad and run in there..you NEVER go in after them. You can yell at them outside of it, but you should not reach into it as they need to see that as their own space. For the first say week or so, they should be in there whenever you aren't home, or whenever you cannot watch them. Always put fresh newspapers in the tray. Really young puppies will crap themselves and make a mess of the thing. You come home, take them out and bathe them, and clean the cage up. One day you will come home, and there will be no mess. If you get too big of a crate, they will crap by the door and sleep on the other side. It needs to be big enough they can turn around in it and get comfortable, but not have all this room. The day you come home and there is no mess, you praise them like they saved your life, give them a treat, and tell them they were a good boy/girl. After a few days of this, you need to give them more. Put the crate in the kitchen or some place where there is no carpet, cover all the garbage cans to eliminate temptation, and put up dog fences to keep them in the kitchen. If you come home and there's crap on the floor, the whole process repeats itself. If they are good, you praise them and see how long they can go. If they make it a week with no mistakes, then you give them the kitchen, plus one other room, and see what happens. Eventually, they will learn that your house is their "den" and that if they need to crap they will scratch at the door or bother you to take them out.
Dogs are smart don't sell them short.
This is almost exactly how my wife trained our Maltese and it worked perfectly. On occasion when it has failed is when we were gone for too long, but even then, he will go on the vinyl flooring in the bathroom.
The biggest problem we ever had was as an adult dog and we took in a female dog, he wanted to "mark" his territory with his calling card if you will.
The female dog is no longer with us and things are as they should be again.

alilredjeep
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #92

'92 WRANGLER, 2.5 Litre, 5 Speed, Rag Top, Superwinch LP8500, Cepek 130W Driving Lights, 31x10.50/AT with no lift, Of course! It rubs!
alilredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2004, 10:34 AM   #7
wyldejackyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by alilredjeep
The biggest problem we ever had was as an adult dog and we took in a female dog, he wanted to "mark" his territory with his calling card if you will.

alilredjeep
Ours had his balls removed so he is pretty mellow and doesn't do stuff like that. Curiously enough however, we have two friends with cats and he's always out to hump their feet when they come over. Maybe he smells the cats and wants to get it on? I dunno. I want to be able to teach my dog to piss on cue. When it's wintertime now that we don't have a fenced-in yard..I don't want to be out there freezing my *** off all night while he finds a place he thinks might be nice to go..
Unread 08-03-2004, 10:38 AM   #8
akuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by alilredjeep
This is almost exactly how my wife trained our Maltese and it worked perfectly. On occasion when it has failed is when we were gone for too long, but even then, he will go on the vinyl flooring in the bathroom.

alilredjeep
yep, a crate (or cage is the way to go). they will see it as their home. I used a crate for the first 5 years (my roomate also had a dog, and this was to make sure they didn't get into scraps while we weren't there). she now can spend 14 hours, loose in the house, and not do anything (she won't even touch the dog food that might be left in her bowl.
as a puppy you need to walk them until they do their "business" outside. that means you might have to walk them for 45 min, 1 hour, whatever. As soon as you get home, walk them, as soon as you wake up, walk them, before bed, walk them, before you leave for work, walk them. Might seem like a lot, but it becomes routine and the dog loves the time it spends with you

aaaaahhhhhh
akuma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2004, 10:42 AM   #9
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Get a doggie door.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2004, 10:49 AM   #10
Dr Gutiemouth
1997 TJ Wrangler 

well this is funny...just last night i was at my buddys a few houses down and we were all drinkin some beer watchin a movie...and his damn puppy pisses on me...i didnt even notice right away...it got on my side somehow...it was just layin..and it didnt move..just peed....i about lost it...i tossed its chewy ball thing at it and bopped it in the nose. let it know that i hate it and wish it dead...thus having it stay away from me from now on. once it gets near..i'll do weird things to it. like poke it. nothing likes being poked.
[COLOR=darkgreen]Green Jeep Club Member #39[/COLOR]
[COLOR=purple]The Almighty 2" BB Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR]
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/781569/][COLOR=Orange]My Jeep on Cardomain.com[/COLOR][/URL] *outdated
Dr Gutiemouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2004, 10:50 AM   #11
BeatAChevy289

Thanks for all the tips guys! Im DEFINATELY going to go the crate route. I have tried the shove her face by the poop and giving her a slap but she doesnt understand that. The doggie door would be an ok idea but we live on 3 acres and the dog tends to run all over the place and then we can't find her. She's getting in the crate tonight! Later <><
1966 Ford Mustang, Hi-Po 289 V8, 4:11's, I dare you to race me.
<><
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/id/blackyj95]Cardomain Site[/URL] (different from the other link)
BeatAChevy289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2004, 10:50 AM   #12
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

What worked for me was tearing up the carpet. We have hard wood floors . For some reason when we got rid of the carpet the dog won't piss or ***** on the floor. Also I didn't crate her just rub her nose in it and tell her NO!. That's how I trained her. Oh that and everytime she does good reward her with a treat.
Unread 08-03-2004, 10:56 AM   #13
wyldejackyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99
What worked for me was tearing up the carpet. We have hard wood floors . For some reason when we got rid of the carpet the dog won't piss or ***** on the floor.
Did the previous owners of your home have dogs or cats?
Unread 08-03-2004, 11:16 AM   #14
XJ99
Draft Line

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldejackyl
Did the previous owners of your home have dogs or cats?
I'm not sure. I see what your saying (i think?) the dog was trying to mark her territory? We shampooed the carpet regularly maybe it didn't get out all the pet odors . Anyway she's a good dog now.

BTW, having a fenced in back yard is the way to go!
Unread 08-03-2004, 11:28 AM   #15
BaaBaa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ONE MORE VOTE FOR CRATING YOUR DOG!

Not to overload the bandwagon, but you can't imagine the benefits... once they get the idea that it's not a punishment to be in their "home," they'll go in there any time they're scared... thunder, fireworks, construction, and when they know you're mad at them... my 1.5 year old lab fought the idea of crating for about 3 weeks, yelping and crying when he was in, and finally he got it... now when I leave for work he goes and spends most of his day in the crate with the door open, just because he knows that's his place

a word of caution (not sure if anyone else mentioned this)... don't get a crate that's MUCH bigger than the dog. If there's enough room in it for him to use half as a bathroom and half as a bedroom he will (and dogs are willing to sleep a lot closer to their own crap than you or I... not to speak for you ) Something they can turn around in and move comfortably is big enough. Put a blanket in it for them that'll get their scent on it so that when it's time to move to a bigger one, the blanket can move too and it'll still feel like home.

And the quote of the thread???

"Nothing likes being poked." -Dr. gutiemouth

Black 2000 TJ Sport
[B]Black Jeep Club Version 2.0 Member #66[/B]
BaaBaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.