~ Do you SCUBA? ~ - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > ~ Do you SCUBA? ~

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #61
Yellowhammer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've been PADI certified for 11 years and fascinated with the underwater world my whole life. I've been fortunate enought to dive The Great Barrier Reef, West Palm Beach, Jamaica, The Gulf of Mexico, and a ton of freezing cold quarries here in North Alabama.

I would give up ALL other hobbies before I would quit diving. There are no words to describe what it's like. It must be experienced first hand.

Yellowhammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #62
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I look forward to diving the Oriskany some time in the near future (hopefully). Anyone else here been down there to see her?
Unread 06-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #63
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Decided to bump this thread since there is another active SCUBA thread...

Also, just picked up a 38 special last night. Can't wait to take it out

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #64
Hurley91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Decided to bump this thread since there is another active SCUBA thread...

Also, just picked up a 38 special last night. Can't wait to take it out

I met a guy last february in Cuba that does this. He had some awesome stories to share, and even more tastier fish to share.
Hurley91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #65
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowhammer View Post
I've been PADI certified for 11 years and fascinated with the underwater world my whole life. I've been fortunate enought to dive The Great Barrier Reef, West Palm Beach, Jamaica, The Gulf of Mexico, and a ton of freezing cold quarries here in North Alabama.

I would give up ALL other hobbies before I would quit diving. There are no words to describe what it's like. It must be experienced first hand.
Amen to that. Scuba is whole other world down there and it is GREAT! As long as we don't screw it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315 View Post
I look forward to diving the Oriskany some time in the near future (hopefully). Anyone else here been down there to see her?
Dove her 3 months after they sank her in 2006. Not much large life on her when I dove her, but the little critters were already making her a home. When my wife, son, and I dove her, the flight deck was still about 110'-120' or so. She has since settled a bit more, so the flight deck is about 140-150' now I think. But if you're not wanting to hit the deck, the tower is still a great dive, with the top of it right about 75-80' down.

Current is fairly swift at the top, so you descend on the line, but once there, it really isn't a problem.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #66
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
Dove her 3 months after they sank her in 2006. Not much large life on her when I dove her, but the little critters were already making her a home. When my wife, son, and I dove her, the flight deck was still about 110'-120' or so. She has since settled a bit more, so the flight deck is about 140-150' now I think. But if you're not wanting to hit the deck, the tower is still a great dive, with the top of it right about 75-80' down.

Current is fairly swift at the top, so you descend on the line, but once there, it really isn't a problem.
Sadly, I posted that over 2 years ago and still have not made it to the Oriskany. Talked to a guy that dove it a few years ago and he said he clocked the flight deck right at 150', so that sounds about right. GREAT family pic, BTW!
Unread 06-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #67
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't see why they put them so deep. Wreck diving is a blast and when they are that deep you don't have enough time to really explore unless you tie off tanks for decomp.
There are some good wrecks off San Clemente island that are at a reasonable depth, but the good ones are deep.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #68
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It wasn't supposed to be that deep, but she sank a LOT faster than expected and she hit the bottom pretty hard. Being mostly sand it isn't surprising she's settled a bit. Also a few hurricanes have affected her a bit too.
Green Jeep Member #155

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
Unread 06-22-2012, 05:05 AM   #69
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would love to go down on her. (didn't sound right I know) I saw the information about her in a scuba magazine. Some guys were wearing doubles and did a photo shoot. I need to get out and dive more often. the water n So. Cali is cold and poor visibility compared to other places.
If I dove more often I would get the Divator mask with radio gear. Pricey but not ridiculous.

RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #70
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Rik, if you end up making it out this way, hit up the FL keys too. Some good dives there too! But if you dive the Oriskany, let me know. Perhaps I could make it down to the coast and join ya!
Green Jeep Member #155

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.