~ Do you SCUBA? ~ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > ~ Do you SCUBA? ~

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Reply
Unread 09-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #31
Slenny
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: US
Posts: 885
We have a pool at the YWCA, I'm not sure of the length but I was swimming 2-3 time a week for a 2 months and swimming one length I was dead tired holding on the ropes to get the strength to drag my carcas out of the water.

Slenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #32
RikRotorhead
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SloCal
Posts: 8,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal21 View Post
That's what I'm working toward.

Why? I have no idea

Oh well... the county paid for my cert. I guess I owe 'em...

Just make sure you go out and have some fun dives too.

Recovery diving is stressful and hard work. Sometimes you are in the water for many many hours, groping around in deep silt, rocks, sticky mud, under logs, etc... It's dangerous work.
The last one I did was a woman that drove off the levy n the Miami River in Dayton Ohio. I found her body stuck against an intake grate for the power plant. She'd been in the water for two days, and the fish had already eaten her pretty well. I've seen worse stuff tho'.
We were diving that "rescue" for two days. Eight hours sleep at 10 pm, then back in the water.
__________________
Betcha' wish your girlfriend was as dirty as my Jeep!
Zombies hate fast food.
Hang on! This is gunna' be a thrill ride of geriatric proportion!
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #33
RikRotorhead
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SloCal
Posts: 8,878
I just remembered a small incident while diving.....

We were on a boat dive off San Clemente Island, heading down the anchor chain to a wreck. An old frigate that was sunk on purpose.
At about eighty feet I started feeling really funny. I looked up and three other divers were above me.
Suddenly, without warning, I hurled. Yep, right through my regulator.
When it happened, I quickly grabbed my regulator and held it in my mouth, while pushing the purge button. The reg cleared quickly, and I didn't inhale any "stuff" or water. I pulled the reg out of my mouth and cleaned it. Ever try to rinse out your mouth while under water? You look pretty funny.
I headed back up to the surface to check my reg and get a fresh tank of air.
Weird. I wan't feeling sick at all. I have no idea what caused it.
__________________
Betcha' wish your girlfriend was as dirty as my Jeep!
Zombies hate fast food.
Hang on! This is gunna' be a thrill ride of geriatric proportion!
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #34
coonash
Senior Member
 
coonash's Avatar
1969 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lake Charles, LA
Posts: 658
I used to do some diving, then my wife left...

wait, what
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #35
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match
 
JBWood05TJ's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,802
My wife and I got certified in '98 and we both have just a little less than 500 dives. We've dived all over the Carribbean, Mexico, the Galapagos Islands, and Hawaii. Haven't made it down to the South Pacific yet. I want to wait until I can take enough time to dive either the Maldives or Palau, and then Truk. Might as well get it in if you're going so far. The deepest dive we've done is 200' in Belize. The coolest place so far was the Galapagos, hands down.

I shoot video and she shoots stills. Unfortunately she got started before they really advanced DSLRs and they got to where people could afford them. So everythings on slide film. She has a D100, but here U/W rig is an N70 in an Ikelite housing with about $4K in accessories.
JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #36
trob09
Senior Member
 
trob09's Avatar
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: north of most people
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
I just remembered a small incident while diving.....

We were on a boat dive off San Clemente Island, heading down the anchor chain to a wreck. An old frigate that was sunk on purpose.
At about eighty feet I started feeling really funny. I looked up and three other divers were above me.
Suddenly, without warning, I hurled. Yep, right through my regulator.
When it happened, I quickly grabbed my regulator and held it in my mouth, while pushing the purge button. The reg cleared quickly, and I didn't inhale any "stuff" or water. I pulled the reg out of my mouth and cleaned it. Ever try to rinse out your mouth while under water? You look pretty funny.
I headed back up to the surface to check my reg and get a fresh tank of air.
Weird. I wan't feeling sick at all. I have no idea what caused it.
I've seen people "feed the fishes" dozens of times underwater. The only time it happened to me was while diving my rebreather on a decompression stop. I obviously didn't want to hurl into my loop but I had around 20 minutes of deco left at 20'. I'm told it was an amusing process to watch me go off the loop to puke in the water and then back onto the loop to take a breath, go off the loop for the next spasm, back on to breathe, etc....
trob09 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #37
apexkw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ft Myers, Fl no rocks, no snow= boring
Posts: 93
certified since 1999 and loved it. it cost so much these days that i have not gone in years and regret it terribly. I would need to buy at a minimum new fins/boots/mask combo before diving again.
__________________
dont ask for it; go win it on your own, do that and you will succeed
-03-Rubi
-99-WJ
apexkw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #38
99goldxj
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Terre Haute
Posts: 1,569
I plan on doing it at some point...one of my many things to do before I die. There is a local dive shop in the town over that has an indoor pool. I have done the discover scuba thing countless times.
99goldxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #39
REDPILL
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Go Hogs GO Arkansas
Posts: 370
I got stuck briefly in a cave in the Dominican Republic. Maybe like 25 sec or so, but that is the only time I have felt paniced. The dive master calmed me down and pushed me backwards back into the cave. I then had to take off my BC and push it in front of me out of the cave. The dive master was a local. They are not a "big" people. I however am 6'6 300lbs. After the dive the dive master appoligized for takeing me in the cave. I wasn't upset it just scared the crap out of me, and him.

Edit: places I've dove, D.R., cancun, Nassau, Grand Cayman, Key West. Next up for me is gas cert. so I can dive the aircraft carrier in Florida.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl04 View Post
when it doubt... pull it out

Matthew 6, 5-6 Read it, Follow it.
2004 unlimited Yellow

Last edited by REDPILL; 09-09-2009 at 04:13 PM..
REDPILL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #40
RikRotorhead
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SloCal
Posts: 8,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by trob09 View Post
I've seen people "feed the fishes" dozens of times underwater. The only time it happened to me was while diving my rebreather on a decompression stop. I obviously didn't want to hurl into my loop but I had around 20 minutes of deco left at 20'. I'm told it was an amusing process to watch me go off the loop to puke in the water and then back onto the loop to take a breath, go off the loop for the next spasm, back on to breathe, etc....

What caused you to hurl? How deep were you for how long and why?
I think my hurl was caused by the greasy cheeseburger, fries and chocolate shake, being forced out of me because of the almost three atmospheres of pressure on my stomach? Who knows?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 99goldxj View Post
I plan on doing it at some point...one of my many things to do before I die. There is a local dive shop in the town over that has an indoor pool. I have done the discover scuba thing countless times.
I was reading about some great cave diving in your area. Lots of lakes and quarries around there too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by REDPILL View Post
I got stuck briefly in a cave in the Dominican Republic. Maybe like 25 sec or so, but that is the only time I have felt paniced. The dive master calmed me down and pushed me backwards back into the cave. I then had to take off my BC and push it in front of me out of the cave. The dive master was a local. They are not a "big" people. I however am 6'6 300lbs. After the dive the dive master appoligized for takeing me in the cave. I wasn't upset it just scared the crap out of me, and him.

Edit: places I've dove, D.R., cancun, Nassau, Grand Cayman, Key West. Next up for me is gas cert. so I can dive the aircraft carrier in Florida.

I watched a documentary of that carrier. It's in 200 feet at the shallow end and the superstructure is at 75 feet.
Looks pretty cool.


Found a link: USS Oriskany: the "great carrier reef"
__________________
Betcha' wish your girlfriend was as dirty as my Jeep!
Zombies hate fast food.
Hang on! This is gunna' be a thrill ride of geriatric proportion!
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #41
99goldxj
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Terre Haute
Posts: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
I was reading about some great cave diving in your area. Lots of lakes and quarries around there too.

I have quite a few church friends who have recently became certified or have been. I think Fun Time Scuba - Fitness & Aquatics - Home has a class on Saturdays and I will probably take it next year. I do know that three or more of my church members recently went to some place in Kankakee, IL diving at a quarry. The one who recently got certified went and was her first official dive other than training.
99goldxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #42
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match
 
JBWood05TJ's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,802
Cave diving should not be taken lightly, and any 'dive master' that takes an untrained recreational diver into a cave is a moron. That said, I'm glad it worked out OK for you.

It's pretty simple. Ask around to all your recreational diver friends and find out how many of them personally know someone that got bent or worse. Then go ask any group of cave divers or deep wreck penetration divers the same question.
JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #43
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!
 
Truck633's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 1,483
I would dive a mud puddle if I could!!!! Been certified open water for 10 years, never really cared to go advanced or rescue, the local dive shop recruits 3 people a week to run down to El Paso and clean the glass in the Polar bear exhibit from the business side....thats pretty cool! Other than that I have been in a wrecked airplane and the old hospital buildings in Elephant Butte reservoir in NM, and lotsa dives in kauai when I am there at PMRF!!!


Tom
dscn0001.jpg  
__________________
____________________________________________
You don't need a parachute to skydive... You need a parachute to skydive TWICE!!!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2009, 06:21 AM   #44
trob09
Senior Member
 
trob09's Avatar
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: north of most people
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
What caused you to hurl? How deep were you for how long and why?
I think my hurl was caused by the greasy cheeseburger, fries and chocolate shake, being forced out of me because of the almost three atmospheres of pressure on my stomach? Who knows?
It was a pretty rough ride out to the wreck. We knew it would be rough going out but the forecast was for it to lay down throughout the morning and be calm by the afternoon. On the ride out, the captain was puking out of the pilot house window, 3/4 of the passengers were lined up on the rail hurling - these are seasoned north-east wreck divers, used to snotty conditions. It was rough. Once you get under 30' or so, all the surface surge goes away.

The dive was max depth of about 150' with most of the dive at the 130-ish depth. bottom time was around 45 minutes.

When I started into my shallower deco stops I started getting back into the surface surge, started feeling queasy. There's nothing you can really do - you can't surface, you can't go down, you just have to take it. so I did.
trob09 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #45
erickpl
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: northern AL
Posts: 4,469
I've been diving since 2003. Got certified after SNUBA diving Molokini crater in Hawaii. Took classes at Edwards AFB and did the checkout dives at Lake Mead in NV. Go figure. Advanced and Rescue certifications were obtained about 4 years ago.

My diving was VERY limited in Cali, but I REALLY want to dive Catalina islands and the kelp beds off San Diego.

Since moving to Alabama, my family and I dove the Oriskany 3 months after they sank her. THAT was cool! She has settled a bit since being sunk, so the flight deck is probably too deep for casual diving (if you follow the rules).

I've been to Bonaire several times - the whole island is a marine park!!! SWEET! LOTS of coral and fish and a LOT of spawning going on last time we were there. I've had the pleasure of seeing a black tip reef shark on a dive, but it split when it saw there was a group of 5 of us. Seeing rays, sea turtles, barracuda... all up close.
__________________
-Paul
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.