Do you need to change all 4 tires on 4WD if 1 is flat? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Do you need to change all 4 tires on 4WD if 1 is flat?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
taco_pants

Do you need to change all 4 tires on 4WD if 1 is flat?

So my friend works at a tire shop and had a flat this morning on his 05 F150 with 4WD. It turns out that there is sidewall damage and it can't be fixed. He is now convinced he has to buy 4 new tires. I've heard of needing to change 2 tires at a time for AWD vehicles but never all 4 for 4WD vehicles. Is this right?

taco_pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
YJteen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It is recomended to buy new ones....but its driveable if you have a tire that is the same diameter.
You should be fine with the axle setup, just as long as you don't beat on it as hard as you would looking at a Playboy magazine, the d30 and d35 should hold up.
YJteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

as long as the tires are the same actual diameter, within some small percent, it's not a problem to only change one.

Even if they are not the same it's really only an issue if you have a locker.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, happened on our AWD mini van all the time (we abused the hell out of that mini van). If your tires are warn enough, a new tire's diameter is too big. Your only luck is if there a used one around ruffly the same size. And in that case, your lucky to get the same tire brand.

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco_pants View Post
So my friend works at a tire shop and had a flat this morning on his 05 F150 with 4WD. It turns out that there is sidewall damage and it can't be fixed. He is now convinced he has to buy 4 new tires. I've heard of needing to change 2 tires at a time for AWD vehicles but never all 4 for 4WD vehicles. Is this right?
Is this a serious question?
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

No he doesn't have to change all 4 tires. He can buy one tire to match the others. At most if his tires are worn he should change 2 and just make sure they are on the same axle (new tires on the back and old tires on the front or vise versa). The only time that the diameter of all 4 tires matters is when it is in 4 wheel drive and that is only for reduced traction situations where the difference in the tires is lost to the loose traction and not sent through the driveline causing trouble.

So tell him if his tires are good then just buy a new one to match the old in type and size. If they are worn then buy 2 and put them on the same axle keep the old one from that axle for a spare and go on with life. The only reason to buy 4 new ones is if he needs 4 new ones or is changing tire size like going from 32's to 33's.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.