Do people that drive Autos off-road have less skills than people that drive sticks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Do people that drive Autos off-road have less skills than people that drive sticks?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-04-2003, 12:31 AM   #1
Big Grand

Do people that drive Autos off-road have less skills than people that drive sticks?

So I was thinking to myself, in my last jeep I had a stick and it took a long time to learn how to be smooth and not stall and whatnot. In my new jeep I have a auto and this thing is a breeze to drive off-road. So what do you think?

Last edited by Big Grand; 10-04-2003 at 01:49 AM..
Big Grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2003, 12:34 AM   #2
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

I think to each his own. I prefer a stick over auto.
The only place I like an auto is in traffic.
Unread 10-04-2003, 12:56 AM   #3
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

DO auto drivers....

- Have less offroad skills? No

- Have a harder time driving a standard off road? Yes.

Is it harder to drive a stick off road... No, just takes a little more concentration.

Does that mean that people that have Autos have less " off road skills" ? No.

If you have a stick to make offroading more chalenging then go try to wheel a dump truck.

00 TJ
98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2003, 01:34 AM   #4
Big Grand

I guess skills was a bad word to use. What I mean is when I had a Stick, it made me such a better driver and when I finnally got good at it people would be suprised to learn that I had a stick I drove so smooth. Autos involve alot less ability to drive.
Big Grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2003, 02:26 AM   #5
isezumi00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grand
. Autos involve alot less ability to drive.
ah ahh ahhh

there goes you and that "ability" again.

"Ability to drive" would be things like, proper braking, proper speed, adherince to proper vehicle spacing and road etiquitte.

Now who do you think is more likely to miss something...someone with their mits at 10 and 2 who only has to maintain observancy of road conditions, traffic and obey traffic laws and check mirrors. Or someone who has one hand on the wheel and one hand on the shifter knob has to operate a third peddle. While maintaining observancy of road conditions, traffic and obeying traffic laws, checking mirrors AND watching a Tach.

Its possible for a stick driver to be more competent then an Auto...but you can only spread a persons attention over so many things before they all suffer too much.
isezumi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2003, 10:07 AM   #6
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grand
I guess skills was a bad word to use. What I mean is when I had a Stick, it made me such a better driver and when I finnally got good at it people would be suprised to learn that I had a stick I drove so smooth. Autos involve alot less ability to drive.

The stick didn't make you a better driver, but practice made you a better driver and made you better at using the stick.

Perhaps an Auto requires less of a driver, but that doesn't mean they have less off road ability, just that they don't need to learn how to drive a stick....

00 TJ
98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2003, 10:12 AM   #7
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai

2004 KJ Liberty 

auto do off-road and on-raod. what they are designed for: automate a technical procedure. so it it true that u need less skill to wheel in a auto: you don't need the skill to operate a manual transmission. you don't have to wonder what gear you need for the opcomming obsticle. and stuff like that. i do think that most trail are easier to drive in a auto, so i guess that is does take less ability. but i'm not going as far as saying that auto-drivers HAVE less abillity

Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
MugZy_YJ_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2003, 11:31 AM   #8
Ex CCS Racer
2008 JK Wrangler 

Autos are nice when climbing due to lack of stalling out but suck when decending with very little engine braking. I like a stick myself but I wouldn't mind an auto. I cold adjust my driving for either.
Unread 10-04-2003, 11:33 AM   #9
Ex CCS Racer
2008 JK Wrangler 

To answer the orginal question...no.
Unread 10-04-2003, 12:27 PM   #10
Nymisus

funny you bring this up, me and one of my friends were talking about this yesterday at one of the spots we offroad....I think it may be a tad harder to off road using a stick due to stalling but that is about it, I like my stick like EX CCS said, sticks are better at going down large inclines .......but my friend has an ford that is an auto and he likes it just fine, wouldn't want a stick, so i guess its personal preference really.......
Herculined, rock it air intake, tb spacer, warn heavy duty front bumper with D rings and 2 KC 150watt Daylighters, warn rear bumper with tire carrier, 1" BL and 1" MML, 4"RE suspension w/dicos sitting on 33x12.5 swamper TSLs on rockcrawler
Nymisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2003, 09:32 PM   #11
LoOpY

when my foot is slipping off the clutch, when my rpms are bouncing back and forth, when im fumbling with the stick because my smooth movements were interupted by mother natures speed bumps, thats when I wish i had an auto.

i love manual, but automatics are so much less of a hassle off road, that you can probably guess what my next wheeler will have

as to the ability thing, I believe Mugzy summed it up pretty well
LoOpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2003, 09:38 PM   #12
CETROV

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I like the stick, I like the "feeling" of doing more than just pushing the gas pedal.
Unread 10-04-2003, 09:47 PM   #13
YJWOLF

look at rockcrawl comps. 99% of them use an auto. Why? because they dont have to worry about stalling, and hold gear just fine. So do these competitiors have less skill? i dont think so. Skill is not based in stick vs. auto, but everything else. So to answer the original question: no. And yes i also drive an auto.
YJWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2003, 10:43 PM   #14
PrfctAggression
Web Wheeler

I find the smell of burning clutch gets pretty annoying on certain obstacles, and ability has nothing to do with that. In some cases you simply must burn it.
[COLOR=yellow]Yellow Jeep Club and Redneck Jeep Club member #666 [/COLOR]
PrfctAggression is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2003, 10:46 PM   #15
jdogg4

Im good with both. I have an Auto now cause I've been running a stick for over 10 years now and am sick of it. I at times on the trail wish I had the stick still cause I hate the way the auto shifts in that 1-2 gear thing. I really need to do that relay switch thing.
2001 60th Anniversary sport silverstone. Mopar brush guard. Mopar gastank skid. Rusty's Air tube, K&N filter R.E. 6130 4.5 superflex. HD trackbar & bracket OME longtravel shocks 1 3/4 frount spacers and the hack-n-tap RE SYE kit with JKS discos. 32"BFG AT Ko's firegod rockrails. going up to 5.5 and 33s soon.
jdogg4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.