Do only scammers read/respond craiglist!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Do only scammers read/respond craiglist!?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 01-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
the2040
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do only scammers read/respond craiglist!?

I am trying to sell things on craigslist and the only responses that I am getting are from scammers! This is extremely frustrating! Where are all the real people actually just want to buy crap. Here is one of the moronic e-mails that I have received.

Quote:
Hey,Thanks for the prompt response to my inquiry. I want to buy it, Iwould love to come and check it but i am on an official duty. Pls dowith draw the advert from Web.I should believe it is in perfectcondition as stated on the web. I will be making the payment via aCertified Check which my secretary will send across to you. I'll bepicking the item from you, the Freight and handling fee will be addedto the money for the Item. My Mover will be coming to Pick it from youonce the Certified Check has been cashed. Then you'll get the paymentacross to shipping vendor.Pls I will need both your name and physicaladdress along with you phone number to issue out the payment.Thanks -- DO YOU STILL HAVE THE ITEM FOR SALE ??????????????
This is funny because in the add and in my first e-mail back I said face to face only.

Sorry I had to vent this is pissing me off. I have probably had 15 e-mails all like this. For those of you who sell on craigslist is there something you do to keep these people away?!

If man asks for many laws it is only because he is sure that his neighbor needs them; privately he is an unphilosophical anarchist, and thinks laws in his own case superfluous.
Low Output 4 Cyl Jeep club #2012
the2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
jcaplins
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What are you trying to sell?
I've sold one thing on CL and it was a non-event. Just a couple e-mails from legit shoppers and it was sold in 2 days.

Seems to me listing anything with an engine will get you nothing but scammers.

I've tried to sell a jeep and an airplane through online agencies and both yielded nothing but scam e-mails.
jcaplins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
digitalcox
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My buddy was trying to sell his Jeep on Craigslist and got flooded with spammers. It seems like a crap shoot when dealing with Craigslist.
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've had the same experience/frustration with craigslist... I have sold a couple of things successfully, but most postings just get the spam you already posted as replies...
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
the2040
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Its an RC car I'm trying to get some money out of so I can buy a different one, no point in having 2. All the e-mails are broken English or very bad grammar. Much worse them myself. I was used to this when I tried to sell my Wow accounts, but I didn't expect it for an RC car. Maybe if I just repost it with my Phone # I wont get these morons e-mailing me.
If man asks for many laws it is only because he is sure that his neighbor needs them; privately he is an unphilosophical anarchist, and thinks laws in his own case superfluous.
Low Output 4 Cyl Jeep club #2012
the2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

Man when I tried to sell my Jeep a year ago I had nothing but legitimate responses, I don't even think I had one scam response.

Things must be getting worse. Any reply I read though that states "I'd love to see it in person but..." I just stop right there and delete.

GD Thread HIJACKERS Member #1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

-Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Sport View Post
Sometimes I wish I had leaf springs.
DiabloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Ensiferum
1997 ZJ 

I've sold a bunch of things on Craigslist, haven't had any spammers, I usually put my phone number on the ad.
Ensiferum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
christine1003
1999 WJ 

I get about 3/4 spam and 1/4 actual people responses. i can easily weed out the spam. I don't know what you can do to fix this. Also when i put my phone number on a couple different outfits always call to "sell my vehicle for me for more money", leave me alone!!!!
Unread 01-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
Indy

I've sold quite a bit on CL, you just have to expect a few princes to email you.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Dead_End
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've gotten scam emails about buying things when I'm selling, or emails about getting more money out of what I'm selling when I'm trying to find something.
2000 TJ-amber fire, 2.5L, AX5 transmission, NP231 transfer case, 1" t-case drop, D30 front, D35 rear, 4.10 gears, 4" Rubicon Express lift, 33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler Dratrac tires, 15x8 American Racing steel D-window rims, 3 chime train horn, Viar 450C compressor with 6 gal tank, CJ tailgate, CJ/YJ hard top with XJ roof rack, soft top, Dynomax Super Turbo cat-back, HD ZJ steering, bedliner, SRC rear bumper w/tire carrier
1990 XJ "Dead End"-amber fire, 4.0L, AW4 transmission, D30 front, D35 rear, 3.55 gears, 235/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires, 15x7 TJ rims, 2001 front clip
1993 XJ forest green, 4.0l, 2wd, AW4 trans, D35 rear, 3.55 gears
Unread 01-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I very recently have been getting spam sent to my phone from 8 digit numbers that I believe came from me posting my phone number on CL

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.