Dmv - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Dmv

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
jmichaelsjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Dmv

I don't normally do this, but I lived in MN for most of my life up til 10 years ago when my wife moved me to Wisconsin. Most of my experiences with the MN DMV were excellent.

I cannot say the same for the WI DMV. Without bashing them specifically with my stories, I want to hear your DMV stories:

I will tell one:
The DMV location in Appleton, WI. I had to go their to transfer my plates from MN to WI (ten years ago) and I got there an hour before they opened (hearing stories of how slow they were). And by the time they opened there was a line down the sidewalk quite long. After getting inside, it took another 2 1/2 hours to get served. I've heard since then they haven't really gotten any better.
Okay 2:
I have a quite a few stories of things since then. But in MN I could walk in and be out 5 minutes later, or even do things like renew my DL online and get a new one in the mail within a week. Why does this same task in WI DMV take a half day off work just to accomplish.

Okay so I did bash them specifically, I'm sorry for anyone that works at the DMV, but my most recent delays for getting my new personalized plates for my new JEEP continue to frustrate me as to the time it takes to get things accomplished at the WI DMV. I submitted my application almost exactly 6 weeks ago, they say 4-6 weeks, and when I emailed them yesterday, they told me that they hadn't gotten them back from the "manufacturer" yet. ugh

Not really mad, just frustrated that the current plates have expired and after 6 weeks, I still don't have my new personalized plates. While I realize that with "standard" plates I would basically be able to walk in, get them, and walk out (maybe 3 hours later).

Sorry for the online b!@#$ session:

Now tell me your DMV stories! They could be about people you saw there, service (good or bad), etc.

Unread 09-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The CT DMV is an absolute joke. They closed some of the larger ones so they could save money, and had the smaller ones open for longer hours. When I say hours I literally mean 2-3 hours more than they were opened before, for 3 days a week. Every time I drive by that DMV during those 3 days a week it is open, the line is out in the parking lot.

My first vehicle was a 1990 White XJ. When I bought a 2000 black XJ, I had everything transferred over so I could use the same plates. I drove the black 2000 XJ for about a year until I got T-boned and it was totaled. I bought my current XJ to replace that one. When transferring over the plates, I found out that the whole time I was driving the black XJ, it was registered as a 1990 White XJ, because the DMV never switched the plates over.

Its a good thing I never got pulled over during that time.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
bobjp

I hate the DMV. I think "Are you an unhappy old *****?" must be a question on the DMV's job application. I like how customer service means nothing to the government. It's not like they work for us or anything.

Thankfully, MI started allowing you to renew registration online or over the phone so it's been a while since I've had to go.
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Almost every DMV experience I've had in AZ was pretty good, from the time I got my license, until the time I moved out of AZ.

I took my test in Parker, AZ and passed, it was probably the easiest thing I've ever done to be honest. In and out in an hour, that included processing and the actual road test itself. There was literally nobody there, just the two women behind the desk.

Every time I've had to go down to the DMV when I lived in the Phoenix area, I'd go to the one in Tempe because it seemed like nobody ever knew about that one or something. Registering my Jeep with veteran plates took maybe 10 minutes at most. I stopped by on my way home after trading my old car for the Jeep to register it, I stopped by the mall after that to get something to eat; I spent more time eating at the mall than I did inside the DMV.

Had to go back a couple times in the Phoenix area for a couple things, again same story... in and out quick.

Now when I moved to CA...

The one in Fullerton is just... wow! They seriously need to fire half those people in there if they haven't already.

The DMV in Torrance isn't half bad actually, all 3 times I've been there, they were really friendly. It just took so damn long to get anything done.

The CDL DMV in San Bernardino, it was a hit or miss at the old location. I imagine the old staff relocated to the new location. Half the crew was grouchy but worked hard and fast, the other half was grouchy and didn't do ****.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

In Amarillo tx I was in and out of the DMV in 5 mins getting new license since I moved from md.

Dps was a different story but that was my fault, going in a hr before closing on a Friday! I waited an hr and a half but again all my fault.
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997_Sport View Post
In Amarillo tx I was in and out of the DMV in 5 mins getting new license since I moved from md.

Dps was a different story but that was my fault, going in a hr before closing on a Friday! I waited an hr and a half but again all my fault.
Dmv took me like 10 minutes in NC. Normally would have been like 2 hours in Rockville

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

My best story is last year right around my 27th birthday I lost my license. So I went to the CT DMV to get a Duplicate.

I waited in the normal BS line and paid the fee and waited for them to print my license. They called my name to say my license was ready and as soon as they handed it to me I burst out laughing. The picture on the license was me when I was 16!!!

I handed it back to her and said I need a license with my real picture on it, not one of me taken 11 years prior and before I hit puberty. She snapped and said "NO NEW PICTURES FOR DUPLICATES". I said I understand, but this is not the picture that was on my old license, I have grown up since then. She took the license, closed one eye, looked at me, and said "AHHH THAT LOOKS LIKE YOU". Now I was one of those confused teenagers and I looked COMPLETELY different when I was 16 (long hair, smart *** face, skinny as ****). Now I have short hair, a beard, and am my normal 180lb self, ya know GROWN UP!

She told me to get in the next line as her supervisor would have to review my situation. So I got in the back of another BS line, waited, only to hear the same thing from the Supervisor. NO NEW PICTURES FOR DUPLICATES! I was pissed now and said I have since turned 21! My license has obviously expired at least once since that picture was taken. Licenses don't last 11 years before they expire right?? She says nothing, literally i can hear crickets, she says my manager is working down there--> points to another huge *** line, go down there to talk to him.

So I wait in my THIRD BULL**** LINE getting madder by the second. This guy had a brain though and realized there was an issue. He approved a new picture being taken and my 1 hour DMV tripped turned into a 4 hour ordeal.

WHAT A ****ING NIGHTMARE.

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My license back in AZ didn't expire until 2056, it was awesome showing the expiration date to people in CA. Many a time people thought it was a fake.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Indy

I have to provide everything short of semen for a wy dl. 3+ legal forms of id including either a passport or my original birth certificate. If your state doesnt do a physically raised stamp on your birth certificate, they wont accept it. Its a joke. Getting the passport is easy as pie and that lets me traverse to other countries but driving in a population of 500k is next to impossible.

Hell getting licensed to fly from country to country in your own plane is easier. That only took a physical.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

Va DMV is a joke as well. I knew they sucked to the point you plan your entire day around your trip up there, but I didn't realize how bad it really was until I moved to Wv. The Wv DMV I use seems to do twice the work, help twice as many people, twice as fast, with half the staff of the Va DMV.
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.