Dinged someone's door in the parking lot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Dinged someone's door in the parking lot

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

View Poll Results: Door Dings and owning up to it.
Someone dinged my door and just took off. 17 94.44%
Someone dinged my door and left a note. 1 5.56%
I dinged someone's door and took off. 3 16.67%
I dinged someone's door and left a note. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

Dinged someone's door in the parking lot

So it was 445 and I was getting into my truck to head home. Opened the door, hopped in my truck, fired her up, and then a gust of wind pulls my door out from my hand squarely into the door of the BMW parked next to me.

There are multiple businesses in my office park and i haven't a clue who's car it was. Seemed to be an early 2000s 328 in decent shape. Didn't do any damage to the edge of my door on my f250 but I did leave a good crease in the bimmers door as well as a red scuff on its white paint.

This was the first time I've ever dinged someone's door as I'm always very conscientious of where I park and the cars around me. Not sure what to do, I looked around, wrote a note with my name and phone number, placed it under the windshield wiper and went on my way.

Been home for an hour now and wondering when/if they will call, as well as how passed they're going to be.

Who here has been dinged or did the dinging and did/didn't leave a note?

TexanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
bobjp

Good for you for leaving a note. Most don't

I'm tired of finding dings in my car from careless people. It's a **** mobile with a host of other problems so I wouldn't pursue it even if they left a note, but it's very inconsiderate.
Unread 08-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I'd be pissed, until I found the note.
Nice job.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 05:12 AM   #4
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Good-on-ya for doing the right thing!
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 05:32 AM   #5
jski701
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree, a note was the best way to not be inconsiderate. If they do call, you can probably get it fixed with a paint less dent removal guy for a lot cheaper than a body shop.. Most body shops use a dent removed person for small stuff like that too, they just charge a lot more for it.
jski701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have had people hit my car with their doors while I am sitting in the car. People are *******s.

I always call them out, as they act like they didn't know. Is it really possible not to know your door just whacked a solid object??? They are either lying, or if they are that oblivious, they shouldn't be driving a car.

So far, there has been no damage to my vehicle in these couple of incidents, but if there is damage, I will have to hold myself back from wanting to cave their door in with a kick.

Your situation was an actual wind accident, that can happen to anyone. I think in the cases I have seen it is most often carelessness.

You did the right thing.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

Well, I didn't get any calls or texts last night from the car owner. Just arrived back at the office and the car is gone, so they had to have gotten my note...

I was thinking about this last night, I should have taken a picture of the ding for my records. Perhaps if i see the car in the lot today I'll snap a covert pic.
TexanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Wait for their insurance co. to contact you, if they file a claim. More than likely, they won't. I got a door ding on the rear quarter panel of my '06 Saab 9-3. I went by a local body shop and asked for an estimate to repair it. They came back with +- $450! Since I don't know who did it and I have a $500 deductible, I passed on the repair. Now I am waiting for someone to hit me, broadside, on the rear quarterpanel to get the ding repaired.
Unread 08-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Dngrs = Dingers?

COTY 2009
Quote:
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Unread 08-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
AlTheKillerr

if someone dinged my car id be pissed. If they were considerate enough to leave contact information, Id be happy someone was willing to take responsibility and just toss the note, go about my business and not worry about the dent.
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #11
KHoff90

This is why I don't buy nice vehicles. I get pissed for maybe an hour if I see a ding in my door, then I forget about it. But good on you for leaving a note!

PSN: KHoff128
KHoff90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #12
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Obviously there's lots of money in it for whoever corners the market on undingable doors!

COTY 2009
Quote:
Unread 08-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Obviously there's lots of money in it for whoever corners the market on undingable doors!
Some Saturn's had plastic doors if I remember right. One of my coworkers had one, and liked to kick the door to prove a point.
Unread 08-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
BLOODBANE
1984 CJ7 

Same thing happened to me once. It wasnt a BMW though and there was someone sitting in the car (passenger) I get back out of my truck and hand her a business card. She says "look at this car, not a big deal", I told her that it wasnt mine to beat up. Never did hear anything out of them.

I dont care if its the biggest POS in the world, its still someone else's property. Man up to your mistakes and sleep good at night.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #15
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTJ View Post
Well, I didn't get any calls or texts last night from the car owner. Just arrived back at the office and the car is gone, so they had to have gotten my note...

I was thinking about this last night, I should have taken a picture of the ding for my records. Perhaps if i see the car in the lot today I'll snap a covert pic.
The same blast of wind that tore the door from your grip probably sent that note into the next county. If you can find the car again leave another note.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.