Dielectric Grease debate - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 06-06-2015, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
jeepnoob2000
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
Dielectric Grease debate

There does not seem to be a consensus on whether to apply dielectric grease to spark plug terminals or not.

I for one have been changing my spark plugs and lathered up the plugs pretty good including the terminal, as was recommended. Now I'm finding out that may not be right. I haven't started the jeep yet. Should I remove the plugs again and clean them off? (plus the inside of the coils will be slathered) :
jeepnoob2000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 06-06-2015, 04:18 AM
mike_dippert
hodophobic
 
mike_dippert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,473
Garage
It's fine. Spark plugs are probably the singke most common application of dielectric grease. The grease creates a weather seal so the metal contacts don't corrode. It also helps slide the rubber boot over the ceramic part of the plug, and helps prevent them from sticking together after 30k miles or more.
mike_dippert is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 06-06-2015, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
jeepnoob2000
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
I've heard that the dielectric grease on the spark plug terminal will create resistance and possibly cause overheating or misfiring ? I've only replaced half the spark plugs so far, should I keep lathering the terminals with dielectric grease or no?
jeepnoob2000 is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 06-06-2015, 07:04 AM
festerw
Registered User
 
festerw's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 1,611
Never seen overheating or misfires caused by dielectric grease. I think or would take a very specific set of circumstances for either of those to happen.

Hers - 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7 4x4
Mine - 2003 Jeep Wrangler X
festerw is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 06-06-2015, 07:11 AM
mike_dippert
hodophobic
 
mike_dippert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,473
Garage
Keep going. You really only need it around the boot.

*If* it were to cause a problem, it would be because it is interfering with the metal-metal contact between the plug and wire. That would likely result in a misfire, and a related check engine light. The fit is tight enough to squeeze out the grease from the contact area 99% of the the time.
mike_dippert is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 06-06-2015, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
jeepnoob2000
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
well the point is that dielectric grease is supposed to be a nonconductor or electric insulator, so having a thin layer between the terminal and coil contact would create extra resistance, in theory. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and tend to err towards "better safe than sorry"... just don't want to hurt my car with spark plug electrical resistances! On the other hand, if it is well-known to not be a problem then I would just disregard it.
jeepnoob2000 is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 06-06-2015, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
jeepnoob2000
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
Keep going. You really only need it around the boot.

*If* it were to cause a problem, it would be because it is interfering with the metal-metal contact between the plug and wire. That would likely result in a misfire, and a related check engine light. The fit is tight enough to squeeze out the grease from the contact area 99% of the the time.
yea the metal-to-metal contact is what I'm concerned about, and I put dielectric grease all over it. It appears to just be a spring inside the ignition coil that contacts the spark plug terminal
jeepnoob2000 is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 06-06-2015, 07:36 AM
ravenworks
Web Wheeler
 
ravenworks's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NE
Posts: 4,189
Just use it as you have been and move on,no harm done.
We use it on everything and I mean everything in heavy equipment.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
ravenworks is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 06-06-2015, 02:13 PM
CoriolisSTORM
WHAT?!
 
CoriolisSTORM's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: ???
Posts: 1,222
Garage
Back before I learned anything about electricity (well a lot about it anyway), I had problems with my dashboard like most TJs caused by a bad connection to the pins. I went to the local auto parts store and asked for something that was electrically conductive to put in each pin to solve my issue. Well, the idiot gave me dielectric grease... That worked... well, not at all...

1998 TJ Wrangler SE - Stone White, 2.5Ls of screaming lifter clacking power, AX5, 31" BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KOs

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - Deep Water Blue, 3.8Ls of oil consuming fury, NSG-370, BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 265/70/R18s
CoriolisSTORM is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 06-07-2015, 07:13 PM
y2k-fxst
Registered User
1964 CJ6 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North English
Posts: 724
Used it on every plug I've changed in the last 30 years with no ill effects. Actually they send a packet with every set of plug wires I ever bought. I use the heck out out of dielectric grease on trailer wiring connectors.

I own a Harley and a JEEP, still some people can't figure out why I'm broke!
y2k-fxst is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 06-07-2015, 07:23 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents
 
CJ7-Tim's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: out in the garage - Minneapolis
Posts: 24,498
The proper application of dielectric grease is for it to seal the wire connector, or repel water from a spark plug boot, but not get on the actual metal to metal electrical contacts. 99.999 % of time, it really doesn't matter.

.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 06-09-2015, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
jeepnoob2000
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
Well, half of the spark plugs have dielectric grease on the terminals and half of them don't, so far running smoothly!

So is there an 'opposite' to dielectric grease that would actually HELP conductivity on the terminals?
jeepnoob2000 is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 06-09-2015, 05:09 AM
vadslram
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 6,024
the only way Dielectric grease would make it misfire is if the connections are loose anyway. If the connector is tight there will be metal to metal contact and the grease does not interfere. Plus by keeping moisture and oxygen away from the connection you will prevent corrosion that does cause misfires.
I use dielectric on my outboards, snow mobile, tractor, lawn equipment, and Jeep, been doing it since I first heard about it decades ago and I have never had a problem with misfires caused by the stuff.
vadslram is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 06-09-2015, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
jeepnoob2000
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
I use dielectric on my outboards, snow mobile, tractor, lawn equipment, and Jeep, been doing it since I first heard about it decades ago and I have never had a problem with misfires caused by the stuff.
yea but do you actually put it on metal-to-metal contacts? or just near/around them?
jeepnoob2000 is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 06-09-2015, 07:43 AM
mike_dippert
hodophobic
 
mike_dippert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,473
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnoob2000 View Post
So is there an 'opposite' to dielectric grease that would actually HELP conductivity on the terminals?
Conductive grease/paste does exist.
Don't use it unless you know you're suppose to. It can cause shorts, fires, or electrocution if used improperly.
mike_dippert is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome