Did I win a car? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Did I win a car?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 01-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Did I win a car?

Did I really win a car or is this a scam/bait and switch intended to get people into the dealership? I have to wait until morning to call or even show up at the place. I am fairly good at spotting obvious "You've won!" scams through the mail since those are usually from some unknown place along with some sort of fake check. This is a mailing from a local Chevrolet dealership very close to home and I have even been to their Jeep branch to get parts. The prize indemnity insurance company, American Hole in One, seems to be legitimate as well. The contest word seems solid and I scratched the portion off to find the correct combination of symbols.

Photographs of the relevant pages with some personally identifying information blurred.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
the2040
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would say you won, but who knows what. Probably just some cash
If man asks for many laws it is only because he is sure that his neighbor needs them; privately he is an unphilosophical anarchist, and thinks laws in his own case superfluous.
Low Output 4 Cyl Jeep club #2012
the2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2040 View Post
I would say you won, but who knows what. Probably just some cash
Even if it ends up being take a test drive to get $100 I would go for that. :P

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I've seen these before. I'm willing to bet you won something, but not the car. Somewhere in the fine print it probably says that the key "may" start the car. You have to go in and try it.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I've seen these before. I'm willing to bet you won something, but not the car. Somewhere in the fine print it probably says that the key "may" start the car. You have to go in and try it.
The key taped to the mailing is actually a really cheap Ford valet key with the exact same keying for each tumbler, but is not cut for all the tumblers.

A VW key flips out and looks something like this. I believe the included crap key is a gimmick for people to use to scratch the game piece off.

Build Project Thread
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
Noiitekk

Scam scam scam. My step father just got the same thing in the mail.
Noiitekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #7
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I believe I figured it out. The last page mentions, "3 WAYS TO WIN!", but counting the car plus scratch off as one and then the gift card that only comes to two ways. In the fine print it mentions a $1 prize at 44,867 to 45,000 odds which is not mentioned any where else. The possible conclusion is that the car is the first way, the gift card is the second way, and the scratch off is to win $1.

Build Project Thread
Unread 01-16-2010, 02:22 AM   #8
DutchNaumo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
I believe I figured it out. The last page mentions, "3 WAYS TO WIN!", but counting the car plus scratch off as one and then the gift card that only comes to two ways. In the fine print it mentions a $1 prize at 44,867 to 45,000 odds which is not mentioned any where else. The possible conclusion is that the car is the first way, the gift card is the second way, and the scratch off is to win $1.
wow that should be illegal
DutchNaumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchNaumo View Post
wow that should be illegal
It's only illegal if you shoot the salesman

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:12 AM   #10
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

The Kia dealer here does this all the time...

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #11
1997_Sport

Just go to the dealer and ask them about it, you probably pick a key out of a bowl of like 1000 keys and try to start the car, if that doesnt work there is probably a number on the key and that number will represent what cash prize you win, which will be probably 1 dollar.

EDIT*** Either go today, tomorrow or monday or you are SOL.

No jeep but I do have a 04.5 Cummins with a 4in exhaust, edge j/a, and I guess thats it....for now
1997_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
RedJeepXJ

I'd say there is gonna be some surprise, and they have restrictions like "while supplies last" but the way that is made it would look like it is designed very specifically to make you think you won the car and could possibly be argued in court.

These scams just show how stupid people are, If they designit to make it look like people won a car and they go to the dealership and find out they won $1 or $25 they *should* just get pissed, but the dealership obviously knows/expects they can get some sales out of this. If the dealership was so dishonest to begin with why would anyone trust them to be honest regarding any other part of the transaction?
RedJeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #13
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
I'd say there is gonna be some surprise, and they have restrictions like "while supplies last" but the way that is made it would look like it is designed very specifically to make you think you won the car and could possibly be argued in court.

These scams just show how stupid people are, If they designit to make it look like people won a car and they go to the dealership and find out they won $1 or $25 they *should* just get pissed, but the dealership obviously knows/expects they can get some sales out of this. If the dealership was so dishonest to begin with why would anyone trust them to be honest regarding any other part of the transaction?
Exactly! This is going to be my test if I can trust the local group of dealerships. I need to get the rear main seal repair on the Jeep which is not cheap in labor. If this is a scam, they are going to permanently lose my business.

Build Project Thread
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
jeep350chevy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

scam.. got the same thing from a ford dealer. went down there and got nothing
jeep350chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #15
bobjp

Why would a chevrolet dealer give away a vw?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.