Diabetes - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Keith
Admin

Diabetes

For those with diabetes what symptoms finally made you go see a Dr. that ended up diagnosing you with diabetes?

A/S/L me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 AM
united2512002
1998 ZJ 

Well i personally dont have diabetes but my father dose and the way that they found out that he had it was by blood tests which they did every 2 months to make sure that the medication he was on was not having any effect on his body in a bad way. Our doctor every time a blood test is performed has the lab check for any signs for diabetes. I know this isnt too informative but the best way to check is to go to your doctor and jave blood drawen and have them check for the commom signes.
post #3 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 09:05 AM
CanuckGirl
2014 JK Wrangler 

I had a blood test done when I was diagnosed with mono and my fasting sugars were a lot higher than the normal range. I ignored it when my dr brought it to my attention, but about 3 years later he sent me for another blood test and snuck the diabetes test in there which confirmed things.

The main symptoms I had was sleeping all the time right after I ate. I could hardly force myself to stay awake sometimes. Also, I noticed that I was peeing all the time (TMI, i know) and that I was always soooo thirsty.

It's been... annoying.. to say the least to get things under control. If your blood sugars are too bad, I would look into a medicine called Victoza. I take that, along with insulin and metformin (I'm a type 2, but kind of out of control). The Victoza sucks for the first couple of weeks, but works really well in stabilizing sugars. The downside is that it's an injection. Between that and my insulin, I kind of have junkie track marks all over my stomach. It's waay sexy.

Anyhow, I hope you don't have it, but it's not the end of the world. It can be hard to manage, but they have made some pretty good advancements in the medicine in the past few years and it gets easier.
post #4 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Rusty Scupper
2016 JK Wrangler 

A friend of mine has Diabetes and uses an insulin pump. His sugars go out of wack when he is very active. He said that if he starts to act "goofy" give him a couple tablets that he carries around. When I asked where he keeps them he said his front pocket. I told him that he better give them to me or he is going to die, as I am not digging in the front pockets of his pants.
post #5 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckGirl View Post
Between that and my insulin, I kind of have junkie track marks all over my stomach. It's waay sexy.
Pics?
post #6 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Louie4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A guy I knew in college said he didn't find out until he was a sophmore in high school. He told me that one night he got out of bed and drank a gallon of water which he's never done. He told his mom and she took him to the doctor and he found out. His dad was also diabetic so it was the first thing to test. I've also head that diabetics tend to be thirsty a good bit but that's just what I heard.

My dad is diabetic (type II) and so was his dad (type II) so I'm curious as well.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 10:33 AM
DBLJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Scupper View Post
A friend of mine has Diabetes and uses an insulin pump. His sugars go out of wack when he is very active. He said that if he starts to act "goofy" give him a couple tablets that he carries around. When I asked where he keeps them he said his front pocket. I told him that he better give them to me or he is going to die, as I am not digging in the front pockets of his pants.
Some friend you are. I hope your friend has other people around that arnt too shy to save his life.
post #8 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 AM
chumpmann
2008 JK Wrangler 

My mom and my GF both have diabetes.

They both found out by getting sick and going to hospital.

My mom was 60 when she found out. Was sick a whole weekend and passed out.
Sugar was 850+ at hospital.
She did complain of excessive thirst two weeks prior.

Didnt know my GF when she was diagnosed.
But she said she went to Doctor thinking she had UTI.
She was 21.

"Never trust quotes on the internet" - Bejamin Franklin

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Other Jeeps...
1994 YJ - 2.5" RC lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT

Hers - '07 XK
post #9 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Deschain

1995 ZJ 

excessive thirst
weight loss
partial blindness

I have an insulin pump now and control it really well. My weekly averages are about 150.
post #10 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM
WhtJeep
2008 WK 

the 3 polys

Polyphagia, Polydipsia and polyurea

always thirsty, always pissing, always hungry

2008 WK Khaki Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain
1995 XJ Lifted and driven straight into the ground - RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresso
Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it's a 35
XboxGT - The Mad Med1c
post #11 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

i don't have diabetes, but dated a girl that did. symptoms that made her go to the doctor was excessive drinking of water. she was always thirsty...she'd go through 2+ gallons of water a day and have to pee every couple of minutes. plus she was just feeling bad all around, and losing weight. doctors said her blood sugar had been like 400-500+ or something for over a week or two.

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #12 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Rusty Scupper
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
Some friend you are. I hope your friend has other people around that arnt too shy to save his life.
I hope you know I was kidding.
post #13 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

If you do have the diabeeeetus, can I trade you some oral glucose for a lifetime membership?
post #14 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Dcomf

Extreme thirst first of all with the need to urinate every excessively. Light headedness every so often with a white tinge in peripheral vision. A rash on my feet and shins.
post #15 of 39 Old 07-12-2010, 01:45 PM
97Xj_Sport

One of my buddies got diabetes (which ever the worst one is) when hes was 23, same thing happened, felt sick while visiting his dad at the hospital and started drinking water and gatorade like crazy. The day after he got home he passed out and had a blood sugar level of 1600, then went into a coma for a couple of weeks. He's fine now though, well other than the diabeetus.

97 XJ 2 door sport- 3" Rusty's lift, 31" MTR's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.