Detroit Lockers on the street? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Detroit Lockers on the street?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-28-2002, 06:48 PM   #1
BzJeep
2001 WJ 

Detroit Lockers on the street?

I heard that the Detroit Lockers that come with the Superior 35 Kit are automatic. Does that mean they are always on so I won't be able to drive it on the street? Or are they like QuadraTrac and kick in when you need it. Im thinking about just getting a Super 35 Kit for my new YJ because it comes with a locker and then I won't have to buy a new axle for just 33" tires.

Thanks for any input.

PS: Where would be the cheapest place to find a Super 35 Kit?

Thanks ..again

[b]Green Jeep Club Member #16[/b]
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/bzjeep[/url]
BzJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2002, 06:54 PM   #2
BaileyTJ

Detroits are always locked. Not to good for a lot of street driving, shorter turning radius more than average tread ware
Unread 04-28-2002, 08:07 PM   #3
BzJeep
2001 WJ 

Is it posible to get the Super 35 kit without lockers? or with another type of locker?

What is there website..

[b]Green Jeep Club Member #16[/b]
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/bzjeep[/url]
BzJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2002, 09:05 PM   #4
aroberts

I have a detroit ez locker in the rear. It's kind of a pain in the rear to get used to, but after that it's just a pain in the rear. You will learn how it works and how to drive with it. Basically anytime the axle is being rotated by the drive shaft, the locker is engaged. To disengage it, drop to neutral and wait a second. It also engages right before you take off, so be sure to let the clutch out just enough to engage the locker then take off. You will feel it lock. Don't be in a hurry with corners, take your foot off the gas. This is a good beginning you will be able to figure the rest out as you drive. Best advice....get air lockers.
aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2002, 10:15 AM   #5
ChuckB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So...and I know this has been asked/answered before, for a "daily driver" are air lockers the best way to go?
2000 WJ Limited 4.7...spare
2014 JK Sport...younger Son's
1989 YJ rust bucket...older Son's
1994 YJ w/Chevy 350....older Son's
ChuckB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2002, 10:45 AM   #6
Dell Motes

I put a Super 35 in my 97 TJ. Love it.
The Detroit is rock solid, but disengages when turning corners. You will hear a slight clicking sound. It is actually smoother than the Power Trax no slip I had in the stock rear. I modified the no slip and put it in the front Dana 30. It cluncks occasionally, but the traction of both axles locked is worth it.
My TJ is lifted 6.25 inches in front and 5 in rear, with 33 x 12.5 rubber. Tire wear is now less than the stock with the power trax in the rear. Changed the gearing to 3.73 when I did the axles as well.
Got the super from Rusty's in Alabama
97' TJ,4.0/AUTO, 6 inch suspension lift,3.73 gears, Detroit locker/rear, Powertrax No slip/front, Superior Axle Super 35 Kit, Flowmaster exhaust, K&N filter, custom bumpers/winch mount, Warn X8000i winch,custom overhead console with CB, 33X12.5 MT rubber, trail ready with High Lift,fire extinguisher,tools etc.
Dell Motes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2002, 11:43 AM   #7
The General

Use the search button, this topic has been covered in depth before. Not to be rude, but you will be able to find more information that way.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2002, 08:44 PM   #8
BaileyTJ

quote:
Originally posted by wcr16:
So...and I know this has been asked/answered before, for a "daily driver" are air lockers the best way to go?

you got it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.