Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Depreciation sucks

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  trailboss 
#1 ·
Anyone else (I am sure) look
Up their jeeps trade in or sale price and get a kick in the stomach???
I did. Maybe my area? Not selling but wow I didn't think it would drop so much

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
A vehicle is rarely an investment that will make you money - at least in the world of daily drivers. Now, some exotics, rare collectables, etc change the math there. Those are out of reach to most of us.

#3 ·
Our 2008 Wrangler (JKU) held its value relatively well ... traded it in for my Ford truck. The Grand Cherokee not so much.

There are lots of vehicles that suffer worse depreciation in the first few years comparatively. Lots of car sites have the information and estimated value ranges.

#4 ·
Anyone else (I am sure) look
Up their jeeps trade in or sale price and get a kick in the stomach???
I did. Maybe my area? Not selling but wow I didn't think it would drop so much

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You are trading money for memories, just depends on what you think is valuable.

#7 ·
ALL vehicles suck on resale until they become a collectors item (Mustang, vette, GTO etc)
But jeeps actually hold much better than others as long as you compare like conditions.
If you compare any other 25 yr old vehicle that has gone through 3 ft of water, been so deep in mud that it had to be pulled out by two daisey chained jeeps and spent most of it's time with no top or doors I thinkyou will see.
I've had some one offer me 3 grand cash for mine, I wouldn't pay 3 dollars for a 1990 toyota corrolla that was treated the way my rig was.

#8 ·
#12 ·
somehow I think ya'll paid way too much for your Jeeps. I paid $3800 for my XJ. Drove it for 4 years, did some decent wheeling. Took it to FL, ect. When it burned to the ground, I got $5000 in insurance money, and made another $1000 selling parts that were still good after the fire. I got my current Rubicon for what normal Sports are selling for in my area. takes time and patience, but I'm convinced a Jeep, if bought right, is an investment.

#13 ·
I am a huge fan of depreciation, next purchase is hopefully a early 2000s e39 M5. Retailing for close to 90k dollars and now can be mine for 15k. Volkswagen phaeton is the same guts as Bentley and reasonably affordable. Buying new will never win the depreciation game, buy the right classic and care for it. Co worker of mine has a 65 Porsche 356 that is only going up in value despite daily driving it in the summer.

#15 ·
Only ever bought 1 Jeep new: the rest I bought used. No WAY would I ever pay what people are paying these days! I buy a couple years off lease, let someone *else* eat the depreciation and drive it till I wreck it, or it disintegrates under my feet.....$35-40k for a JEEP? Sorry......no way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.