Denver or Phoenix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Denver or Phoenix

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 03-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
joshwan
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Denver or Phoenix

So I have the opportunity to leave Chiberia (Chicago) and head to either Phoenix or Denver. Just looking for some opinions on both cities. I will be studying (@ 34 years old) civil engineering at either ASU or CU. Thanks!

joshwan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You like the cold or hot, mountains or desert?
cojab is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
joshwan
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've lived in both environments and enjoy both. I'm looking for more of an opinion on the cities/metro areas.
Unread 03-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I can tell you this... seeing an Illinois plate in Phoenix isn't uncommon. Many of us originally from Illinois moved to Arizona and will never move back. Some like me end up bleeding over into California for a while.

If you can handle 117 degree weather in the summer, and learn to drive with oven mitts, Phoenix is the place for you. Also, prepare to see a lot of people carrying a pistol on their hip if you move to Phoenix.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

You into the outdoors? Into actually owning guns with the government not caring? Az all the way.

Arizona is my home state. Still have lots of relatives out there too, so I go back and forth on a somewhat regular basis.

People say the cold is better because you can layer up, and in the hot you can only get so much naked. But really, drink a lot of water and you'll adjust easy enough.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I never have visited Colorado.
Scrmngchicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Legal pot in Denver; Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Phoenix. You decide.
Unread 03-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
joshwan
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well the pot does nothing for me, but to each his own. So that won't be a factor either way.
Unread 03-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

I have a buddy here that is from Denver. He says the winters are cold, snowy and in some areas windy. So, if you want different, go to Phoenix. If you want mostly the same as far as weather, Denver is where you should go.

If it were me, and outdoors enthusiast that likes exploring large uninhabited areas in anything four wheel drive. And I like to go target shooting in those places as well as carry just about anywhere I want. So in those two choices, Arizona is where it's at.

Any why the hate on Joe Arpaio? So he's hard on criminals. Don't be a criminal and you'll be fine.
Unread 03-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I love Sheriff Joe!
Yes winters can be cold, snowy and windy in Denver. Can also be warm and sunny. It's a great place if you dont mind getting all four seasons. Plenty to do and a short drive into the mountains if thats your thing. I dont live in the city though and dont spend alot of time there so I cant comment a bunch on that.
One thing I like about AZ is even in Phoenix its not a terribly far drive to Flagstaff or some other mountain areas. I'm not a big fan of the desert but those AZ mountain areas are nice. FWIW, if I recall, Flagstaff actually has more snowy days than Denver.
I've never been to Chigaco but either seems like an upgrade to me!
cojab is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

I would say Colorado. And to who ever said Colorado is like Chicago obviously hasnt been here. Its barely windy, we have over 300 days of sunshine (take that "sunshine state") and all 4 four seasons distinctly. The metro area around Denver is great. And I doubt youll be living in Denver and going to CU its about 45 minutes north. I would look at the suburbs north of Denver. Westminster, Arvada, Broomfield, Thornton... etc. Plus you have so much off roading and out door sports about 20-30 minutes away no matter where you are along the metro area. Its a great place to live, and very low crime. The people are awesome here as well. The Metro area is slowing turning back over to new families.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #11
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

Meh. Between the two I'd pick North Carolina!
Unread 03-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
nwiTJdave

Boulder all the way. But I also enjoy skiing so that's why I voted for there. I'm used to driving 4 hours now to Wisconsin or Michigan for any decent ski areas. Having been to the Denver area, I was hooked. After I got out of the service I was accepted to the University of Denver. I choose not to go there because my fiance was a student at George Mason at the time and the distance would have killed us. It is slightly a decision that I regret now, only because we are married and stuck in the region.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #13
CrustySprings
1985 CJ7 

If you like off-road Jeeping, go to Denver Colorado. On your days off, you can explore the Crested Butte, Ouray, Silverton and Telluride areas. There is nothing that can match Jeepin' in the Rockies. If you like to ski, some of the best snow skiing in America is in Colorado. Yes, it can get cold in the Denver area, but it usually doesn't last too long. Boulder is pretty liberal but CU seems to be an great engineering school. Stay off of the pot and focus on your education...it will pay off in the long run.
258 cu. inch six, Team Rush ignition upgrade, T5, Dana 300, Superwinch lockouts, Black Diamond 3" suspension lift, greasable shackles, poly bushings, JKS quick discos, 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT's, American Racing 23 15x8 alloys, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio, 2' adjustable tip Firestick antenna, Viair 460 onboard air system
CrustySprings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #14
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

You can off road in Arizona too. Roughly 80% of the state is BLM/open range. I used to go four wheeling when I was in Tucson in open range land. Extra fuel, water and ammunition was what I'd take just in case. One morning I went out to the old Diablo Ranch. It was a 70 mile round trip with no roads.

Last time I was out there, my wife and I went horseback riding at the old Empire Ranch. Lots, and I mean lots, of open terrain.
Unread 03-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #15
joshwan
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the opinions. As always, interesting and useful opinions and information from the Jeeping community.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.