Demand for a searchable image database? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Demand for a searchable image database?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Reply
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
econstantin
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 175
Demand for a searchable image database?

Hi all, I'm new to the Jeep community and think it's awesome how much support and sharing goes on between people. While I'm still learning a lot about building a rig, I build websites/systems for a living. I have this idea and am wondering if you think it be a good idea and worth doing.

I notice a lot of people request photos of a particular rig setup (i.e. TJ w/4" SL on 33s) -- often there are some good photos in thread, however it's not always evident what to search for across treads, and photos are usually interspersed with other comments.

What if you could do a search based on for model, lift types, wheel sizes, etc. and get the results in the form of a photo gallery of matching rigs?

I think it'd be relatively straightforward to build a basic website to allow this, a possibly even an iPhone app to allow people to quickly & easily take a photo, tag it with appropriate rig-info and upload it directly.

Anyways, would like to hear your thoughts / feed back on this idea.

econstantin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
econstantin
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 175
If it wasn't clear from my original post, I'd be happy to build out the site/app -- I'd just need some community input/feedback.
econstantin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler
 
WhiteOut's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,160
There is already a pic request forum and threads in every model forum for lift height/ tire combos.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
econstantin
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut
There is already a pic request forum and threads in every model forum for lift height/ tire combos.
Yeah, I'm aware of that -- this would simply make it easy to find all pics matching whatever criteria (instead of lots of clicking/scrolling around)
econstantin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Indy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,981
Garbage in, garbage out. Most folks aren't going to supply the correct data, in the correct order, spelled correctly, to make a good searchable database. Not a bad idea, but pretty massive undertaking really unless ai has made a massive leap forward since the last time I programmed an array.
__________________
Odds are im typing on a tablet. It takes too much effort to add some punctuation. Im lazy, get over it

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
econstantin
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
Garbage in, garbage out. Most folks aren't going to supply the correct data, in the correct order, spelled correctly, to make a good searchable database. Not a bad idea, but pretty massive undertaking really unless ai has made a massive leap forward since the last time I programmed an array.
Good point, and taken. I envisaged using drop-downs to minimize the data-entry & possible typos; there would indeed be some work involved to get comprehensive drop-down lists, but much of it could be automated without too much difficulty...
econstantin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #7
Indy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WY
Posts: 2,981
If there was only a limited number of options actually available it would be doable, but even store bought the drop down would be pretty long. Add In a lot of fab and the results get pretty slim. You could go flat generic, model cj5/cj7/yj etc, then lift by 1/2" increments same with tire size, but you would end up discounting long vs short, a bunch of things like elipticals, spoa vs spua, etc

At the end of the day, it's not a complex search to program, but the number of variables would yield poor results unless you had thousands of entries since a bunch of what was actually being looked for would never make it to the results page. It's a good idea and easier than most problems I used to code for but it would be hard to implement.

You would end up with a lot of what I asked for but not what I meant, and people on the Internet are lazy. They as a whole would rather be spoon fed by asking an easy to search question than taking 5 seconds to search so it would likely rarely be used.
__________________
Odds are im typing on a tablet. It takes too much effort to add some punctuation. Im lazy, get over it

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
econstantin
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
If there was only a limited number of options actually available it would be doable, but even store bought the drop down would be pretty long. Add In a lot of fab and the results get pretty slim. You could go flat generic, model cj5/cj7/yj etc, then lift by 1/2" increments same with tire size, but you would end up discounting long vs short, a bunch of things like elipticals, spoa vs spua, etc

At the end of the day, it's not a complex search to program, but the number of variables would yield poor results unless you had thousands of entries since a bunch of what was actually being looked for would never make it to the results page. It's a good idea and easier than most problems I used to code for but it would be hard to implement.

You would end up with a lot of what I asked for but not what I meant, and people on the Internet are lazy. They as a whole would rather be spoon fed by asking an easy to search question than taking 5 seconds to search so it would likely rarely be used.
Yes, it would start with limited search options to constrain the problem. In looking at the various pic request threads, it seems that around 60% of requests are for model + tire-size + lift, which suggests that there would be some utility to being able to filter by even these basic criteria.

I agree that people don't want to deal with things that are complicated, I also think that people can be motivated to select a couple search criteria if the perceived benefit is there (think used-car search sites, they have lots of options to search against). Indeed, the key to success would be a very quick and easy user interface/experience.

It sounds like overall you think this would be a good idea if designed/implemented properly (which, I agree, is not without certain challenges)....

Anyone else think yay or nay?
econstantin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.