defective Auto zone part damaged my car any advice?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > defective Auto zone part damaged my car any advice??

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 08-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

So you didn't notice that the assembly you removed had more parts on it than the assembly you installed. How would you react if you had paid a certified mechanic to perform this repair and had the same end result? Would you blame the parts house for selling the mechanic incomplete parts assemblies or blame the mechanic for not installing it correctly?
On the bottom of one of my Autozone receipts-"Warranty excludes damage caused by misuse, abuse, other faulty parts, improper installation or off road, commercial or marine use." If you installed it without the snap ring that would be considered 'improper installation'.

Unread 08-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurcio1989 View Post
Long story short Auto Zone sold me a CV axle that did not have a snap ring on the end to hold it into the differential. For whatever reason I missed that and installed it in my car. It has resulted in two tows, and me having to pull both cv's, drop the front subframe out of the car, and pull the differential out as now that side won't slide in without great force.

I needed to replace the driver side anyways as well so I ordered that one and this time it came with a snap ring on verifying that they should have sold me the pasenger side with the snap ring on as well.

So I may have to replace the new passenger side cv and the differential as well as wasting money on flui and a **** ton of time. Basically the guy at autozone said I am pretty much sol (He is trying to help me but I inferred) because auto zone does not back the parts the supplier does. The supplier will only really listen to you a credited shops word not mine. What gets me is autozone does not sell parts to shops they sell them to backyard mechanics and they advertise themselves as such. I spend a lot and I mean a lot of time and money in that store (the guys there all know it). The bottom line is they sold me a part that was supposed to be a direct oem replacement and it was not and has caused damage to my vehicle. I would like to ensure that I am properly compensated and I am looking for any advice you guys may have here. Thanks

PS. I know that I should have inspected the parts better but ultimately that is the QC of the manufacturers job and Autozone selects them reflecting a trust in their QC. I believe if there is a failure in that chain it is either the parts house or the manufacturers responsibility to right it not the customer. Please tell me if that is improper assumption.
1st what vehicle did said CV axle go in? I know many fwd cars that do not use that C-clip on the end of the axle to retain it in the trans.I also know that if you force the CV in to hard(or slightly mis-aligned) it will break that C-clip and it will disappear inside the trans and when you pull it out it appears it was missing since it's no longer there.Then there is the autozone and advance auto parts themselfs,made in china and not the correct length(the "new" CV axles) and are prone to coming out of the trans and that C-clip disappearing.
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Um. If this was on the vehicle implied by your signature...

My D30 does not use either a CV axle or locks of any sort on the diff side.

It uses axleshafts with u-joints and is retained at the bearing end, in my case by a unit bearing.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.