defective Auto zone part damaged my car any advice?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > defective Auto zone part damaged my car any advice??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

defective Auto zone part damaged my car any advice??

Long story short Auto Zone sold me a CV axle that did not have a snap ring on the end to hold it into the differential. For whatever reason I missed that and installed it in my car. It has resulted in two tows, and me having to pull both cv's, drop the front subframe out of the car, and pull the differential out as now that side won't slide in without great force.

I needed to replace the driver side anyways as well so I ordered that one and this time it came with a snap ring on verifying that they should have sold me the pasenger side with the snap ring on as well.

So I may have to replace the new passenger side cv and the differential as well as wasting money on flui and a **** ton of time. Basically the guy at autozone said I am pretty much sol (He is trying to help me but I inferred) because auto zone does not back the parts the supplier does. The supplier will only really listen to you a credited shops word not mine. What gets me is autozone does not sell parts to shops they sell them to backyard mechanics and they advertise themselves as such. I spend a lot and I mean a lot of time and money in that store (the guys there all know it). The bottom line is they sold me a part that was supposed to be a direct oem replacement and it was not and has caused damage to my vehicle. I would like to ensure that I am properly compensated and I am looking for any advice you guys may have here. Thanks

PS. I know that I should have inspected the parts better but ultimately that is the QC of the manufacturers job and Autozone selects them reflecting a trust in their QC. I believe if there is a failure in that chain it is either the parts house or the manufacturers responsibility to right it not the customer. Please tell me if that is improper assumption.

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I doubt the manufacturer sells to AutoZone only, and saying that a qualified mechanic/shop must make the claim makes sense as well.

It sucks, but you're probably out of luck. Even if they did cover the part, they wouldn't reimburse you for your time or consumables.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurcio1989 View Post
Long story short Auto Zone sold me a CV axle that did not have a snap ring on the end to hold it into the differential. For whatever reason I missed that and installed it in my car. It has resulted in two tows, and me having to pull both cv's, drop the front subframe out of the car, and pull the differential out as now that side won't slide in without great force.

I needed to replace the driver side anyways as well so I ordered that one and this time it came with a snap ring on verifying that they should have sold me the pasenger side with the snap ring on as well.

So I may have to replace the new passenger side cv and the differential as well as wasting money on flui and a **** ton of time. Basically the guy at autozone said I am pretty much sol (He is trying to help me but I inferred) because auto zone does not back the parts the supplier does. The supplier will only really listen to you a credited shops word not mine. What gets me is autozone does not sell parts to shops they sell them to backyard mechanics and they advertise themselves as such. I spend a lot and I mean a lot of time and money in that store (the guys there all know it). The bottom line is they sold me a part that was supposed to be a direct oem replacement and it was not and has caused damage to my vehicle. I would like to ensure that I am properly compensated and I am looking for any advice you guys may have here. Thanks

PS. I know that I should have inspected the parts better but ultimately that is the QC of the manufacturers job and Autozone selects them reflecting a trust in their QC. I believe if there is a failure in that chain it is either the parts house or the manufacturers responsibility to right it not the customer. Please tell me if that is improper assumption.
Im confused as to how this falls back on them and not you......

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

Because I paid for a complete cv axle and they sold me an incomplete cv axle which I was unaware of and installed. They are responsible for ensuring that the parts that leave their door are what they described and I am responsible for installing the part in the proper fashion which assumes that the part they sold is complete. I am an engineer at an oem and I know for a fact that if we sell a defective part that causes damage to equipment we will pay for the damage no questions asked. You cannot expect the end user to be an expert in the QC of the part if his responsibility is to receive a complete part and install it as such.

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
Dead_End
2000 TJ Wrangler 

They- just like you- thought you were getting a complete part. You'd be best off taking it up with whoever made the part rather than the retailer.
Dead_End is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
Mr Q X
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_End View Post
They- just like you- thought you were getting a complete part. You'd be best off taking it up with whoever made the part rather than the retailer.
Retailer who sold, should do the dirty work not the paying customer to ensure top customer service and returning customer's. Pretty sure autozone has more nudge with a manufacture then a regular old joe.
Unread 08-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The zone sells to commercial customers, meaning repair shops, just as much or more than walk-in DIYers.

Bottom line in my opinion is that you were the last person to touch the part and you should have done a once over on it to make sure it was complete and matches up to the original.

Its not anyone's fault in particular and I'm afraid the manufacturer will not take responsibility for it.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Because I paid for a complete cv axle and they sold me an incomplete cv axle which I was unaware of and installed. They are responsible for ensuring that the parts that leave their door are what they described and I am responsible for installing the part in the proper fashion which assumes that the part they sold is complete. I am an engineer at an oem and I know for a fact that if we sell a defective part that causes damage to equipment we will pay for the damage no questions asked. You cannot expect the end user to be an expert in the QC of the part if his responsibility is to receive a complete part and install it as such.
Which had you inspected it for completeness prior to install, could have caught the missing piece. If that had been done, you could have returned the defective part prior to installing it and causing damage.
Maybe it just me BC I was taught differently, but I always look through parts I buy before I install, just in case. No manufacturer is perfect and to blame the middle man on your own error just doesn't seem right to me.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
Jonathanjr1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think the only thing they can do is replace the defective part under warranty and say have a sorry for the defictive part. You failed to inspect the part prior to install so it's your fault not autozones. These type of things happen all time if its missing a peice the manafactures are cranking out parts as fast as they can and some time there are mistakes.

This is kind of like what happend to blitz one guy poors gas on a fire knowing that the gas will expolde and go after the people that make the container to store the gas. guy who burned himself gets rewarded for being stupid. Insted of going after the guy who sold/made the gas he goes after the middle man. In this case the guy who failed to inspect the part is now going after the middle man instead of the guy that made the part.
Jonathanjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Sometimes lessons in life are expensive. I bet you'll check the next part before installation.
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

I'm not going to lie or try to defend what I did out of pride. I was in a hurry. I briefly inspected the parts. I mostly paid attention the the spindle side. I remember noticing that the snap ring groove on the old shaft was not as deep as the groove on the new shaft. In hindsight I now realize that because I did not turn the diff side of the old shaft while comparing what I was looking at when I noticed the groove was shallower was actually a compressed snap ring with oil on it. If I had turned the shaft and looked closer I would have seen the cut ends of the snap ring.

If I was a professional who looked at these every other day I would have most certainly noticed this. I am not, I am a backyard mechanic and this is the second time I have replaced a cv axle. I buy parts from autozone, they are a parts house who advertise as themselves towards catering to backyard mechanics. If they sell a defective part to a backyard mechanic I do not believe they can just say "well we do not stand behind these parts unless you are a credited shop." My business and loyalty is with autozone not the manufactuer. I paid for a complete part and was not given what I paid for. It is not realistic to think that they will never sell a defective part but when they do I do not think they should hold the customer responsible.

At the end of the day its not that big of a deal its a couple hundred dollars and about 10 hours of my time. I try to be an honest person and I believe that if I would have to lie to recieve compensation that I would rather foot the bill and leave that in the back of my mind as I buy parts for the rest of my roughly (Godwilling) 50 years on this earth building cars, trucks, boats, planes, anything else with a motor.

Unread 08-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I was sold an axle shaft for my WJ that was missing the oil seal. Turns out that it's fairly common when that seal (or another part) is missing they'll take it from another boxed unit. Sometimes the manufacturer will even put the wrong part in a box. You could submit a labor claim to the manufacturer & cross your fingers, but I really think you're sol. Lesson Learned; Move on & In the rest of your 50+ years on this earth, just make sure you inspect what you take off & compair it to what's in the box.
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
Cause
WHAT !!!!

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah..
blahty, blah, blah....
........as I buy parts for the rest of my roughly (Godwilling) 50 years on this earth building cars, trucks, boats, planes, anything else with a motor.
You only expect and hope to live to 73...?
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

Life expectancy of a male in the US is 76 so I guess 73+ is pretty realistic. I ride motorcycles, and fly ultralights, etc. so I don't want to jinx myself acting like I got a guaranteed 50+ years left. If I conduct pre-flights the same way I install cv's I guess I'll be pretty lucky to last even a couple more years lol

On that subject I believe psychological age is a way more important factor its just kind of impossible to quantify. If you don't know what psychological age is just thinking about the how long the first 15 years of you life felt compared to the next 15.

Unread 08-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Cause
WHAT !!!!

Quote:
........... If I conduct pre-flights the same way I install cv's I guess I'll be pretty lucky to last even a couple more years lol

My Granfather was 108 when he died falling off of a roof, my mother was 99...

I intend to live forever and be a burden to everyone!
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.