So here we go, did some testing tonight. The can says 3-5 days before use and it will continue to harden for a few weeks. But it's been long enough to get a feel for it.
As a quick reminder: side 1 was given 2 coats per instructions onto galvanized sheet metal. It was not roughed up in any way so very shiny.
Side 2, flat paint lower left 1/3, gloss paint lower right 1/3 and raw metal upper 1/3. But all 3 were hit with some 00 steel wool prior to application. The metal wasn't scuffed in any way prior to paint so its shiny underneath.
First up was flexibility.
Passed in every area, no flaking etc.
After that I went for impact. Sticking with my scientific background I employed a method scientist world wide call "took it outside and beat the living bejeezus out of it over the rail of my deck". I figured this give it a hard impact coupled with wrapping around the railing at the same time. I wasn't gentle.
1st up, the bare metal.
After repeated beatings, complete and total failure. But this was on the shiny metal, so scuffed may fare better.
2nd side actually took most of the beatings as I watched the product come off in massive chunks. But I also reversed and delivered quite a few solid whacks to the shiny side making the painted side flex in both directions.
I'm calling this a pass! Look on the outside lower edges and you'll see some loss, but it TOOK THE PAINT WITH IT. Bare shiny steel, the rest of the plate is still holding strong!
Next up was the same treatment to the scuffed bare metal.
Bad picture, but once again total failure on bare metal. It came off all the way down to the edge of where the paint begins.
Last up, scrapes. I took the point of a pair of scissors and drug it across the finish applying quite a bit of pressure. It scratched and that's it. No picture. So then I repeated but put a LOT of pressure on the point.
Again, bare and shiny metal. Nothing that couldn't be touched up in 10 seconds.
The end result, it appears that it will not work on bare metal. However most importantly it holds as strongly as the paint it's applied to is bonded to the metal itself. I don't know how this compares to commercial bedliner as I don't have any to test and won't be spending $100 to find out. If someone has a spare bit to donate I'll compare the 2 with the same tests. As of right now though it looks like THIS COULD WORK!
I will be continuing the test with live trials! It will be a week or so before I begin but I'm going to test it in the bed of my Tacoma. Later results will be posted after I have some more info!