deck restorer as bed liner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > deck restorer as bed liner

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
Indy

deck restorer as bed liner TESTED AND RESULTS!

I know this has been brought up before but so far I've been unable to Find anyone that has tried it. I've read it shouldn't be used since its water based so it may rust, which makes no sense too me. Also it won't stick to metal well which does make Sense.

But I'm having some tinted now so we'll know for sure soon!

I'm doing a dark grey, worst case I need to stain my deck anyway best case $25 bed Liner. ResuLts in a few days.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I figured it wouldn't work because it dries hard and any use of the bed that might tweak it a bit would crack the finish allowing it to get water under it and rust or break or chip off. Bedliners are all rubber based and can flex some. I can see it being a good option for protecting the boards in the bottom of a trailer though.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
Indy

I thought about the flex as well. I figure depending on the deck i can feel quite a bit more flex than i do on the ribs of a bed so it might be ok. Im putting it in the so far so good category. I applied it to some cold sheet metal and immediately stood it upright to see if it would run off, no issues though. Ill do a 2nd coat tomorrow, wait a day and see how much abuse it will stand up to. If it holds up on the bare metal ill try it on scuffed paint.

$25 experiment

Unread 01-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
ryanryan03
2010 JK Wrangler 

This would be awesome if it works.
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
Indy

Things are delayed a but due to it being frozen absolutely solid yesterday. But thawed it today and put the 2nd coat on this afternoon. The can says to wait 8 hours before light foot traffic and 3-5 days before moving furniture on it.

But what fun is that? Its been about 8 hours. Abuse must start asap

It seems flexible enough.

I made thunder noises with it for a bit too, no flaking yet.

I realized last night that im using corrogated sheet and didnt scuff it before the first coat. So its on the glossy stuff now. The back im doing a flat, a gloss, and raw metal again but hitting it all with a brillo pad. If it sticks to the unscuffed metal i figure it will stick to about anything.

So far so good. Testing will continue.

Unread 01-07-2014, 02:21 AM   #6
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

"Thunder noises"

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
Indy

Yes, I believe that's the correct technical term.

2nd coat of the painted side on this afternoon, real testing begins in a few days.

Unread 01-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

It's probably similar to the difference in water/oil based paints. Water based just isn't going to weather as well.
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #9
Indy

So here we go, did some testing tonight. The can says 3-5 days before use and it will continue to harden for a few weeks. But it's been long enough to get a feel for it.

As a quick reminder: side 1 was given 2 coats per instructions onto galvanized sheet metal. It was not roughed up in any way so very shiny.

Side 2, flat paint lower left 1/3, gloss paint lower right 1/3 and raw metal upper 1/3. But all 3 were hit with some 00 steel wool prior to application. The metal wasn't scuffed in any way prior to paint so its shiny underneath.

First up was flexibility.

Passed in every area, no flaking etc.

After that I went for impact. Sticking with my scientific background I employed a method scientist world wide call "took it outside and beat the living bejeezus out of it over the rail of my deck". I figured this give it a hard impact coupled with wrapping around the railing at the same time. I wasn't gentle.

1st up, the bare metal.

After repeated beatings, complete and total failure. But this was on the shiny metal, so scuffed may fare better.

2nd side actually took most of the beatings as I watched the product come off in massive chunks. But I also reversed and delivered quite a few solid whacks to the shiny side making the painted side flex in both directions.

I'm calling this a pass! Look on the outside lower edges and you'll see some loss, but it TOOK THE PAINT WITH IT. Bare shiny steel, the rest of the plate is still holding strong!

Next up was the same treatment to the scuffed bare metal.

Bad picture, but once again total failure on bare metal. It came off all the way down to the edge of where the paint begins.

Last up, scrapes. I took the point of a pair of scissors and drug it across the finish applying quite a bit of pressure. It scratched and that's it. No picture. So then I repeated but put a LOT of pressure on the point.

Again, bare and shiny metal. Nothing that couldn't be touched up in 10 seconds.

The end result, it appears that it will not work on bare metal. However most importantly it holds as strongly as the paint it's applied to is bonded to the metal itself. I don't know how this compares to commercial bedliner as I don't have any to test and won't be spending $100 to find out. If someone has a spare bit to donate I'll compare the 2 with the same tests. As of right now though it looks like THIS COULD WORK!

I will be continuing the test with live trials! It will be a week or so before I begin but I'm going to test it in the bed of my Tacoma. Later results will be posted after I have some more info!

Unread 01-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I think spending $100 to use a product designed for that use would be better than deck restorer. In the end I feel you will end up spending more money on maintenance of the deck restorer than you will spend on using the right stuff the first time. My dad always said if you don't have time to do it right the first time when will you have time to fix it. It can go right along with this if you can't afford to do it right the first time when will you be able to afford to fix it. I say save some money and use a product designed for the purpose of lining your pickup bed not for a product designed to cover a wooden deck. MHO

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Personally I think you're going to be really disappointed with it when it gets scratched to hell. Saying it can be touched up easily is a poor excuse for the wrong product for the wrong application. Bedliners are one of those things to do right the first time because trying to redo it is going to be a HUGE PITA.

Monstaliner and Chassis Saver are hands down the best DIY system. If you somehow manage to scratch through the Monstaliner you're not going to get through the Chassis Saver.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
Indy

But the exercise as entertainment alone is worth the cost. And this is in no way bEing anticipaTed as bEing the best route. Just whether or not it well work. My taComa is the perfect test bed. $25 is great number to spend on my $200 truck. For good or bad I guarantee I won't spending more money on a redo

Unread 01-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #13
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You got a sensitive shift key?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #14
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573
You got a sensitive shift key?
HeS nOt sensiTive hes jUST goinG THRu a ToUGh tiMe!
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #15
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepComanche89 View Post
HeS nOt sensiTive hes jUST goinG THRu a ToUGh tiMe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.