JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/)
-   -   DC/NOVA/MD residents (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/dc-nova-md-residents-466619/)

joeyprice 09-25-2007 07:12 PM

DC/NOVA/MD residents

Particularly NOVA. I just relocated, I'm in temporary housing until mid-oct and am looking for a place to live. Every place I'm finding in the VA DC burbs seems to be REALLY expensive of a roach infested hell hole (to be fair I'm basing this on what I've found on apartmentratings.com). So the question I have to you is this - where do you live? My job is in Arlington, so I'd prefer not to go too far from there, and I'd really like to be on or near a metro line. If you live in an apartment complex reaonably close to any of the afore mentioned areas tell me what it is and how you like it. I'm a little suspicious of the online reviews...you know the saying, unhappy customers tell 10 people, happy customers tell 3.

Thanks
joey

3Rotts 09-25-2007 07:30 PM

I live out in Loudoun myself but I would check around the Balston area. I used to have some friends that lived in that area and they liked it. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the apartments. The NOVA area is a little pricey. You either live cheap and deal with the LONG commute or live close and pay high rent.

martinsburgjeep 09-25-2007 08:24 PM

I lived in a high rise in Alexandria when I was in law school. It was right off of the beltway, where it intersects with Route 1. At the time it was Riverside Park Apartments. Three high rises, a couple of pools, tennis courts. Nothing spectacular, but clean, safe, convenient and reasonably priced.

That was over 10 years ago, but I'm pretty sure the complex is still there. Not sure it's still the same owners. Back then it was a good $300 per month cheaper than comparables I looked at.

edit to add website: www.riversidealexandria.com

looks like it was recently renovated, not sure what that means as far as pricing is concerned

creature 09-25-2007 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinsburgjeep
I lived in a high rise in Alexandria when I was in law school. It was right off of the beltway, where it intersects with Route 1. At the time it was Riverside Park Apartments. Three high rises, a couple of pools, tennis courts. Nothing spectacular, but clean, safe, convenient and reasonably priced.

That was over 10 years ago, but I'm pretty sure the complex is still there. Not sure it's still the same owners. Back then it was a good $300 per month cheaper than comparables I looked at.

And you can't really go wrong living 2 blocks from the krispy kreme on rt 1. :drool:

martinsburgjeep 09-26-2007 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creature
And you can't really go wrong living 2 blocks from the krispy kreme on rt 1. :drool:

ohhhhhhhh yeah, I'd forgotten about that :drool:

dawnskaybug 09-26-2007 05:09 AM

I feel for you
What are you doing in arlington???
As stupid as this sounds Martinsburg(yeah him) might not be a bad commute.. Train to metro,,, Lower housing prices..
Im from both areas and yer screwed..

NOVATJ 09-26-2007 06:31 AM

Depending on what part of Arlington you are working in, I'd look at places at the end of the metro lines.

Blue Line:
If you are in Crystal City or The Pentagon, look for a place in Springfield. Springfield Station Apartments is a nice place, and it's right by the Metro.

Orange Line:
If you are in Ballston or Clarendon, look for a place in Vienna, Dunn Loring or West Falls Church. The area right around the Dunn Loring Metro has been built up in the past few years. They have built a bunch of residential buildings right around there. A friend of mine was living in Regent's Park right next to the Vienna Metro. His apartment was really small, but really nice.

It's an expensive area, so no matter what you'll pay. The only way I get by is to having renters in my townhouse. If you have met other people at your work in the same situation, consider renting a townhouse together.

joeyprice 09-26-2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOVATJ
Depending on what part of Arlington you are working in, I'd look at places at the end of the metro lines.

Blue Line:
If you are in Crystal City or The Pentagon, look for a place in Springfield. Springfield Station Apartments is a nice place, and it's right by the Metro.

Orange Line:
If you are in Ballston or Clarendon, look for a place in Vienna, Dunn Loring or West Falls Church. The area right around the Dunn Loring Metro has been built up in the past few years. They have built a bunch of residential buildings right around there. A friend of mine was living in Regent's Park right next to the Vienna Metro. His apartment was really small, but really nice.

It's an expensive area, so no matter what you'll pay. The only way I get by is to having renters in my townhouse. If you have met other people at your work in the same situation, consider renting a townhouse together.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I actually work in Roslynn, so either blue or orange lines are fine. I'll check out these places.
Thanks again!

table 09-26-2007 05:52 PM

I was happy at Foxchase of Alexandria (google them). They were quick with repairs and maintenance issues. They have a shuttle bus that goes to the King Street (Yellow Line) Metro.

PS - when you get here, and you absolutely need to go to a dealership, choose Heritage in Alexandria. Really good customer service, and cheaper labor and parts costs. Avoid Rosenthal in Arlington.

creature 09-26-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsip
PS - when you get here, and you absolutely need to go to a dealership, choose Heritage in Alexandria. Really good customer service, and cheaper labor and parts costs. Avoid Rosenthal in Arlington.

I always liked the dodge dealership in springfield (I wanna say Safford Dodge?), been there a couple of times to get dealer only parts for my XJ and they had 'em in stock. I'd avoid the farrish jeep dealership in fairfax.....I know of somebody who had their heep there for some serious issues, it was there for a few months and they couldn't figure it out, in the end it turned out to be something like a 15 amp fuse being the problem.

martinsburgjeep 09-26-2007 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsip
I was happy at Foxchase of Alexandria (google them). They were quick with repairs and maintenance issues. They have a shuttle bus that goes to the King Street (Yellow Line) Metro.

when I moved there 10 years ago just about EVERYBODY gave me this sole piece of advice . . . stay away from Rosenthal dealerships at all costs

The time now is 08:19 AM.