D.U.I - Lawyer or no lawyer? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > D.U.I - Lawyer or no lawyer?

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 01-07-2006, 09:31 AM   #61
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had dinner with my county's prosecutor awhile back (socially, in a group). I am not a lawyer, but there were several lawyers at the table as well. One thing I noted is that they all know each other rather well. I would get a lawyer... may not help much... but it's all who you know in life.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #62
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav79
just like it says...i recently got a dui coming home from a falcons game, wasnt speeding, got pulled over for failing to maintain my lane....blew .108 legal limit is .08 here in Ga. No real complaints ..... i was in and out in about 2 hours....cop was pretty cool besides the fact that he was arresting me....but my question is should i get a lawyer or not? If i go sans council will i just get hammered by the judge? $3500 is a good chunk of change that could be better spent on the jeep rather than a lawyer IMO. any advice short of not getting a dui would be apprieciated

Thanks

Travis
I work in the legal business. A .108 is tuff. Anything close to .08 can be dealt with as a wet-reckless. You should go talk to the Public Defender's office first before you pull out the check book. At least they can advise you of what may or may not happen. You will want to make sure the test documentation is correct. Was it a breath test? Did they test you twice and average the results? Make sure you get the last certification on the PAS (Breathalyzer) How long was it from the time you had your last drink till you were pulled over? How long was it from the time you were pulled over till you were tested? Sometimes rising blood alcohol levels can get you off. I've won cases were the guy has been at .1 and .09 when tested an hour and 20 minutes after his last drink. We proved he was below the .08 at the time he was pulled over 10 minutes after he had a couple shooters too many. They gave him a wet-reckless which they usually can do with anything over .05 if they wish. You will also want someone to fight to get your right to drive back ASAP. Not driving can be hard on the old work life. I don't know squat about the law in your area, but I think out here in the Republic of California you would sit much better with a Public Defender than you would by yourself. BTW Someone mentioned he was with a bunch of D.A.'s and all the attorneys were friendly with each other. I bet the other attorneys were Public Defenders. They work pretty close together in most cases. Golf together, drink together, screw each others wives, that sort of thing. Bob
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #63
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinsburgjeep
some states, WV included, have no provision for a restricted license for work/school. You can get a breathalyzer put into your car after 30 days of a suspension, which breathalyzer stays in for the duration of the suspension, 6 months for a first timer. If, however, you choose to appear your administrative suspension you CANNOT get the breathalyzer installed.
It's not a breathalyzer. It is an Ignition Interlock System. Getting one of those sucks, because it costs big bucks. You have to pay to have it installed, pay an equipment rental fee, and pay a monthly maintenence fee. Va. has those as well. If you get convicted over a certain BAC, it is mandatory if you want to drive.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #64
martinsburgjeep
I is the laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
It's not a breathalyzer. It is an Ignition Interlock System. Getting one of those sucks, because it costs big bucks. You have to pay to have it installed, pay an equipment rental fee, and pay a monthly maintenence fee. Va. has those as well. If you get convicted over a certain BAC, it is mandatory if you want to drive.
you are correct it is an interlock system, in West Virginia, to add to the pain in the back side, there are only 2 service center one in the north central part of the state and one in the southern part. If you are in say the eastern part (3 hours from one and 5 from the other) it can really suck. I know people that have had the equipement malfunction and have to either (1) wait for someone to come from the service centers which takes not hours, but weeks ro (2) have your vehicle towed to the center. all in all they are a PITA
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #65
Big_Black_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipcordAFF
Ok, guys seriously shut up. Its you Big black, and jeep got nutz that are going on and on in your little dick contest, seriously. Calm the F!ck down. Have you noticed that the rest of the thread is offering serious and pertient advice, whist you two are busy berating each other and calling each other sisies...if you both cant turn the other cheek, then do it over PMs, that way, we dont all have to be reminded of what the fifth grade was like. Seriously. Stay on topic or shut the h#ll up! Have a nice day!

...o, and my opinion, get a lawyer!

Fair enough, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsgotnutz
Lick my left one Ripcord.

someone ban this clown
[FONT=Tahoma][B]Black Jeep Club V2.0 Member #89[/B]
[COLOR=Sienna][B]New England Jeep Club Member #5[/B][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]The Official I Own a Toy Jeep Club Member #5[/COLOR]
Swamp Donkey 4x4 [/B]

[B]1994 Saab Aero[/B]
*MAPTUN STAGE 7, *3" JT Exhaust, *SQR intake
470HP...1/4 mile ET: 12.67 @116MPH

[/FONT]
Big_Black_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #66
jennyellice

Just consul the DUI lawyer bcoz they have practiced law in that area
jennyellice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #67
turtlerace
Best taken in small doses

1979 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyellice View Post
Way to bump a 7 year old thread...
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #68
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyellice View Post
You should probably never post again.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 03:29 AM   #69
terrasmak
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Black_YJ View Post
a.) i'm FAAAR from being "little"

b.) i'm 18 you stupid piece of sh_t, i don't ask mommy for anything, since she died when i was 5. Not that it's any of your business, but i was raised by my aunt who raised me right. Have i or would i ever drink and drive? no. But she also didn't raise an arrogant, *******.

c.) i'll the latter half as you having lost someone by getting their car plowed into by a drunk, and i'm sorry for that. if not, well then i guess we just don't agree

and anyway VegasJeep put it best, and i'll rest my case on anothers words

What determines that someone is drunk? .08 or .10? i have seen people who blow .08 stumble and fall and cannot stand up. i ahve seen others blow a .20 and you would nto they were intoxicated but could carry themsleves much better.

Can you tell me why him being in a state that has a .08 legal limit makes him so much more drunk and putting so much more people at risk then if he had been in a state that says .10 is legal? Why can a state make the difference and determine you are "more" drunk. YOU DID!!!

People make mistakes. Hell if we were all perfect the world would be a pretty boring place huh?
THe guy understands he screwed up and is taking it very serious. Thats good.
You have a lot to learn, let's just say there is a 0.08 limit and you can not keep it in your lane , blow a 0.05 or even less, you can still get slammed with a DUI. Many states also have DUI and DWI , a little bit different , but very much the same.

OP, I advise to get a lawyer. If not, before you throw yourself at the mercy of the court , enroll is sober living classes. Community service stuff can help, anything to show the judge you are trying to improve yourself after your lapse in judgement.
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #70
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
You have a lot to learn, let's just say there is a 0.08 limit and you can not keep it in your lane , blow a 0.05 or even less, you can still get slammed with a DUI. Many states also have DUI and DWI , a little bit different , but very much the same.

OP, I advise to get a lawyer. If not, before you throw yourself at the mercy of the court , enroll is sober living classes. Community service stuff can help, anything to show the judge you are trying to improve yourself after your lapse in judgement.
What part of "way to bump a 7 year old thread" got missed?

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #71
BLOODBANE
1984 CJ7 

So since this has long played out, did he get a lawyer or not? Necro posting at its best right here.....
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #72
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I sure hope this has been adjudicated already....if not there's some serious problems with the judicial system in Georgia.

Now excuse me while I go find a thread about Y2K and the precautions I should take.....

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #73
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Spammer getting ready to blow it up.
Chris_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 01:47 AM   #74
Mr Q X
1995 ZJ 

http://www.avvo.com/ask-a-lawyer?gcl...FaE1QgodGGsAVQ
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #75
CrustySprings
1985 CJ7 

I know this is an old thread but I feel compelled to speak up. Everybody likes to rag on lawyers and tell lawyer jokes...until you need one and then you want the very best lawyer you can get. Always seek legal advice when in trouble with the law.

But drinking and driving is very dangerous and deadly. The problem seems to be that when someone drinks, they don't realize just how impaired they are. It seems to sneak up on them. They think they are bulletproof. They aren't.

This video is old. It is graphic. But it really gets the point across. Don't drink and drive. We will catch you.

Watch it if you dare. Share with your family and friends as we approach the holiday season.

Please don't drink and drive.
258 cu. inch six, Team Rush ignition upgrade, T5, Dana 300, Superwinch lockouts, Black Diamond 3" suspension lift, greasable shackles, poly bushings, JKS quick discos, 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT's, American Racing 23 15x8 alloys, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio, 2' adjustable tip Firestick antenna, Viair 460 onboard air system

Last edited by CrustySprings; 12-13-2013 at 09:30 AM..
CrustySprings is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.