D.U.I - Lawyer or no lawyer? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > D.U.I - Lawyer or no lawyer?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 01-06-2006, 10:54 AM   #46
jeepsgotnutz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Black_YJ
someone who lists their location as paris .....

You're 30, don't act like you've been around the block and try to talk down to ME

It's Paris Texas you little Turd. And it's better to have been around the block, than to have to go ask mommy if you can even go near the street. We'll see how you feel after someone gets a D.U.I after they plow into you or a family members car and kills someone.

I was sad because I had no shoes, until a I met a man with no feet. So I said to the man, "Got any shoes you're not using?"
jeepsgotnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #47
harleysilo
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Pay the $3500. Get a lawyer.

First thing you should know is that you are facing 2 cases, an administrative one and a criminal one.

You have ten days to request an administrative hearing regarding the suspension of you license, if you don't do that it will get suspended. Read the back of your yellow ticket (the one that is now your license) it explains that. When you go to your administrative hearing a good lawyer will try to talk to the cop and prosecuter and maybe settle on something like dissmising the administrative in lieu of working something out at the real criminal court case. That's want you want to happen.

If you do this on your own (get a lawyer) send it certified mail.

So once that is taken care of you can worry about the criminal case.

A few things a good lawyer will have you do before your first appearence are....

1)Take a DUI class, this is around 24 hour class, take the inital 100 something question evaluation seriously b/c your score matters, they (the instructor) can order you to consoling if you score badly enough. The Alcohol Evaluation person will also look at that score.

2) Get an alcohol evaluation, a good lawyer will have you go to a licensed professional who will declare you good to go.

These two accomplishments will be used to show that you arn't an alcoholic and arn't a risk at repeating your bad behavior.

Your lawyer should and will prepare a Discovery motion where he/she will request all of the evidence (witness statements, police report, video tape, proof that the breathalizer machine at the station was calibrated, etc) be provided a minimum of 10 days before trial. This is important because if the prosectution (state) doesn't comply you can continue to postpone the case.

Your and the lawyers objective will partially be to postpone as long as possible because the longer it goes the less likely the cop will be to show up.

It's unlikely that the prosectution in Atlanta will comply, because they are idiots.

PM me if you have any more questions.
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #48
98JEEPTJ
2005 WK 

Depends on your lawyer, but you should definitly get some sort of lawyer. I know people on there 5th offense and just get a fine and a hand slap, kept their license and no jail time, they also payed close to $15,000 for the lawyer...

Harleysilo is right on about the proceedings.
Unread 01-06-2006, 12:06 PM   #49
martinsburgjeep
I is the laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
In most states you will get your license suspended on a first time offense, not revoked. There is a difference. Anyway, with the suspension, you will usually be able to get a restricted license that allows you to drive to and from work/school. The restricted license is usually part of the ASAP program.
some states, WV included, have no provision for a restricted license for work/school. You can get a breathalyzer put into your car after 30 days of a suspension, which breathalyzer stays in for the duration of the suspension, 6 months for a first timer. If, however, you choose to appear your administrative suspension you CANNOT get the breathalyzer installed.
Unread 01-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #50
Big_Black_YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsgotnutz
It's Paris Texas you little Turd. And it's better to have been around the block, than to have to go ask mommy if you can even go near the street. We'll see how you feel after someone gets a D.U.I after they plow into you or a family members car and kills someone.
a.) i'm FAAAR from being "little"

b.) i'm 18 you stupid piece of sh_t, i don't ask mommy for anything, since she died when i was 5. Not that it's any of your business, but i was raised by my aunt who raised me right. Have i or would i ever drink and drive? no. But she also didn't raise an arrogant, *******.

c.) i'll the latter half as you having lost someone by getting their car plowed into by a drunk, and i'm sorry for that. if not, well then i guess we just don't agree

and anyway VegasJeep put it best, and i'll rest my case on anothers words

What determines that someone is drunk? .08 or .10? i have seen people who blow .08 stumble and fall and cannot stand up. i ahve seen others blow a .20 and you would nto they were intoxicated but could carry themsleves much better.

Can you tell me why him being in a state that has a .08 legal limit makes him so much more drunk and putting so much more people at risk then if he had been in a state that says .10 is legal? Why can a state make the difference and determine you are "more" drunk. YOU DID!!!

People make mistakes. Hell if we were all perfect the world would be a pretty boring place huh?
THe guy understands he screwed up and is taking it very serious. Thats good.
[FONT=Tahoma][B]Black Jeep Club V2.0 Member #89[/B]
[COLOR=Sienna][B]New England Jeep Club Member #5[/B][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]The Official I Own a Toy Jeep Club Member #5[/COLOR]
Swamp Donkey 4x4 [/B]

[B]1994 Saab Aero[/B]
*MAPTUN STAGE 7, *3" JT Exhaust, *SQR intake
470HP...1/4 mile ET: 12.67 @116MPH

[/FONT]
Big_Black_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:08 PM   #51
sailingnut

Genraly in my state, when you go for a DUI (court) have a lawyer with.
its 40hrs. comunity service 8hrs. of M.A.D.D (mothers agenst drunk driving)
some fines, higher insurance, suspended drivers,

but ALWAYS good to talk to a lawyer FIRST.
Seen peeps go into a court room w/o a lawyer not good USUALY.

Just kinda think of this way, the judge sees like 10 of these a day?! so NOT good.

Not harpin on ya just sayin....
sorry to hear 'bout the ticket
most people i talk to say its like 10,000 by the time all said and done
(like a year down the road)??
I try and think to my self (SELF) taxi's cheper!! but thats just me.
I work for the city so i see a LOT of people in for DUI comunity service
My first jeep
thanks Jim ;)

Colorado Jeep Club Member
sailingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:20 PM   #52
sailingnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav79
thank you.... thats what i was looking for...... i blame no one but myself for what i did...im thankful that no one was hurt and its taught me a lesson.... just seems silly to hire a lawyer to tell the judge im guilty

yes but if you dont have a lawyer to "hold your hand" (sorry)..
the lawyer can do a lot of things for you to 'get the ball rollin' for lack of a better word
I.E. classes, driving history, Ect. and present them to the judge in a proftional
manor. so not to tick off the juge.
My first jeep
thanks Jim ;)

Colorado Jeep Club Member
sailingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:44 PM   #53
ChaoticBastard
2012 JK Wrangler 

Definatly get a lawyer.I have 2 DUI's within 3 years.I am now sober 3years,6 mons,4 days.Getting my second DUI was the best thing that happened to me.I just RECENTLY got the ignition interlock device out of my car.And that was after being 3 years clean.So I know how this works,Well in PA I do.Im into both DUI's a total of $13,400 Dollars.Thats not including paying for rides for 2 years of license suspension.1st time I didnt let them draw blood,Automatic 1 year suspension of license.In most but not all states you cannot get a work license if your suspension is DUI related.But do not go in there without a lawyer.The cop might have been COOL otherwise but believe me he is only out to get his quota and to make his arrest and conviction record look better.Get a lawyer,Pay the piper and learn from this.I thank god everyday that I never hurt anyone in the 9 years I drank myself to near death.being sober is the best thing in the world and it's so nice knowing when I check my mail I wont have a certified letter from the court house in it..
MetalHead Jeep Club Member #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo
what's wrong with bombing poor people? It has all the awesomeness of bombing combined with removal of crime. It's like a win win situation.
Unwad your panties
ChaoticBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:47 PM   #54
GoGo
2012 JK Wrangler 

About the Texas thing...

Had a Texas license and got a DWI in Minnesota. Got 30 days no drive in MN, $1000 fine (Guilty conviction). Got a letter from TX, I now get a 90 day license suspension, owe them $1040 once a year for the next three years (don't even have a TX license anymore), plus $100 for reinstatement, because TX says if I was convicted in another state, I would have been convicted in TX. They can penalize me for THE SAME THING I"VE ALREADY BEEN PENALIZED for in another jurisdiction!
Before anyone chimes in, yes, driving is a privilege, not a right. But come on now, getting hit up twice for the same thing in two different jurisdictions??? BS.

Poseur Jeep Club Member # 1

I'd feel safer hunting with Cheney than, going for a drive with Ted Kennedy.
GoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2006, 11:55 PM   #55
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF
Web Wheeler

If I were you I would go in without a lawyer, All a lawyer can do that you can't is understand the law. If you work on it you can understand the law too and most likely do anything that he would be able to do for you. This depends cause in some small towns the prosecuters and defense atts are friends and then it helps to have the lawyer. If you are in a relatively big court system I would go in and talk it out with them, get a Public Defender if need be and you should be OK (I am saying all this from past experience, never a DUI though)

And you do really need to think about some things, Driving while drinking is really stupid and you're lucky that all you are facing is Monatary loss

Also
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:04 AM   #56
Awshux
Cynical Bastard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98JEEPTJ
I know people on there 5th offense and just get a fine and a hand slap, kept their license and no jail time...
If true, this makes me think of 2 things:
1) I hope you never get into a car with these "people" you know.
2) I hope I never have to drive through Omaha!
Even if untrue, it makes me think of one additional thing:
1) It's "their," not "there."
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:20 AM   #57
pbrutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awshux
2) I hope I never have to drive through Omaha!
You better hope you don't have to, 'cause we got some crazy-*** drivers 'round here on Friday nights Never a cop around when you need one.
Unread 01-07-2006, 12:32 AM   #58
martinsburgjeep
I is the laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWtoTHEjeepLIF
All a lawyer can do that you can't is understand the law. If you work on it you can understand the law too and most likely do anything that he would be able to do for you.
I completely disagree. DUI lawyers often specialize and know all the ins and outs of both administrative proceedings and criminal proceedings. They have ESTABLISHED relationships with prosecutors and police officers. They already know the law. They don't just know the law, they know how to present the law. They know which facts are important and which facts only seem important. I spent many an hour in a courtroom against pro se litigants. Some were very intelligent, none ever won and it wasn't because the law/facts weren't on their side and it certainly wasn't because I'm Perry Mason, it's because they didn't know what was important and what wasn't in a legal sense. Most important, lawyers are not emotionally attached to the case and can see the facts without the haze of emotion added by representing yourself.
Unread 01-07-2006, 01:05 AM   #59
RipcordAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Black_YJ
a.) i'm FAAAR from being "little"

b.) i'm 18 you stupid piece of sh_t, i don't ask mommy for anything, since she died when i was 5. Not that it's any of your business, but i was raised by my aunt who raised me right. Have i or would i ever drink and drive? no. But she also didn't raise an arrogant, *******.

c.) i'll the latter half as you having lost someone by getting their car plowed into by a drunk, and i'm sorry for that. if not, well then i guess we just don't agree

and anyway VegasJeep put it best, and i'll rest my case on anothers words

What determines that someone is drunk? .08 or .10? i have seen people who blow .08 stumble and fall and cannot stand up. i ahve seen others blow a .20 and you would nto they were intoxicated but could carry themsleves much better.

Can you tell me why him being in a state that has a .08 legal limit makes him so much more drunk and putting so much more people at risk then if he had been in a state that says .10 is legal? Why can a state make the difference and determine you are "more" drunk. YOU DID!!!

People make mistakes. Hell if we were all perfect the world would be a pretty boring place huh?
THe guy understands he screwed up and is taking it very serious. Thats good.

Ok, guys seriously shut up. Its you Big black, and jeep got nutz that are going on and on in your little dick contest, seriously. Calm the F!ck down. Have you noticed that the rest of the thread is offering serious and pertient advice, whist you two are busy berating each other and calling each other sisies...if you both cant turn the other cheek, then do it over PMs, that way, we dont all have to be reminded of what the fifth grade was like. Seriously. Stay on topic or shut the h#ll up! Have a nice day!

...o, and my opinion, get a lawyer!

RE 2" BB / 1" Goferit Offroad BMML / 31" Kumho Venture MTs / Expert Offroad Rock Sliders / Lightforce RMDL 170 Strikers / KC 130w Slimlites / Kilby Gas Tank Skid / Skidrow Engine Plate Skid / Diff and Steering Skid / Infinity Basslink / Cobra 75WX ST / JKS Quicker Disco's / Various other things..
RipcordAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2006, 08:27 AM   #60
jeepsgotnutz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lick my left one Ripcord.

I was sad because I had no shoes, until a I met a man with no feet. So I said to the man, "Got any shoes you're not using?"
jeepsgotnutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.