D.U.I - Lawyer or no lawyer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > D.U.I - Lawyer or no lawyer?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
Trav79
2004 LJ Wrangler 

D.U.I - Lawyer or no lawyer?

just like it says...i recently got a dui coming home from a falcons game, wasnt speeding, got pulled over for failing to maintain my lane....blew .108 legal limit is .08 here in Ga. No real complaints ..... i was in and out in about 2 hours....cop was pretty cool besides the fact that he was arresting me....but my question is should i get a lawyer or not? If i go sans council will i just get hammered by the judge? $3500 is a good chunk of change that could be better spent on the jeep rather than a lawyer IMO. any advice short of not getting a dui would be apprieciated

Thanks

Travis

Trav79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
In the open

Call a lawyer. Also check on a diversion progam.
Mopar rock rails,15x8 eagle alloys
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149388]Our Jeep pics[/URL]
In the open is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
Trav79
2004 LJ Wrangler 

i did have a meeting with a lawyer....$3500 bucks.....im just wondering if it would be easier to just go in and plead guilty
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
01grander

Do people really just not get that drunk driving is very serious? You put peoples wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, sisters, and brothers lives at stake. You should get the max penalty and i hope to God you never do this again. Shouldnt be thinking of addons to the jeep.
Plenty of Hellas.
01grander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
RubiconSS

Not sure how your state works but most are pretty cut and dry for First Offenders.
Fast Track (ARD) type program, small fine, short period of License Suspension, Class and your record is basically expunged. Do it again and (rightly so) they hammer the crap out of you.
Made a mistake - Learn from it - take your lumps.
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
mdoug445
2002 WJ 

You sure it wasnt 3500 bucks total? like court fees, fines, and all that? cause i had a friend who got a DUI here in indiana. legal limit is .08 and he blew a .08. stayed in jail all night and after it was all said and done it was reduced to a public intoxication charge and it cost him about 2000 bucks total. fines, lawyer and whatever else there was. but get a lawyer definately.
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Often times depending on your criminal history...if you dont have one thats even better, the first offense is pretty light at least here in Texas, as its only a class B misdomeanor for the 1st time anyway...you may get probation, have to attend some classes, and maybe do some community service and/or pay fine. But you might want to ask another shark/lawyer and get a second opinion, maybe even talk to a DA rep...but I dont know for sure.
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Trav79
2004 LJ Wrangler 

sigh.....all i want to know is whether or not a lawyer is needed in a case like this....i seriously doubt i would actually spend the money on jeep mods instead of a lawyer....im taking this very seriously, all im saying is that if im going to get the same penalty anyway why would i need a lawyer.....who are you to judge me....save the preaching for church...if you dont have any constructive advice on the topic please keep it to yourself

EDIT...i was responding to 01grander....thanks to the rest of you for your responses
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Being that you were so far over the limit, I doubt a lawyer will do you much good. Cop to what you did wrong, do your time and learn from your mistake.
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #10
01grander

I can judge you because you put innocent peoples lives at risk voluntarily. I'm sick and tired of people taking this crap lightly he could have killed someone and i dont think we should be nice to people who do this knowingly. All you had to do is get a dd or a cab and i wouldnt care. Even when i drank like a crazy fratboy i didnt drink and drive. Ive done stupid stuff but things that would effect me and not other people directly.
Plenty of Hellas.
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #11
Trav79
2004 LJ Wrangler 

im thinking along those same lines...im not affraid to take my lumps....everyone i talk to says to get a lawyer reguardless
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #12
01grander

I will at least say look for a lawyer that has practiced law in that area for awhile. A lot of those people have good contacts and could get you a lesser punishment alone thru knowing people and getting you into a community service program.
Plenty of Hellas.
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:56 PM   #13
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01grander
I can judge you because you put innocent peoples lives at risk voluntarily. I'm sick and tired of people taking this crap lightly he could have killed someone and i dont think we should be nice to people who do this knowingly. All you had to do is get a dd or a cab and i wouldnt care. Even when i drank like a crazy fratboy i didnt drink and drive. Ive done stupid stuff but things that would effect me and not other people directly.
Must be nice to be perfect. The rest of us do occasionally make mistakes. Cut the guy a little slack. It is his 1st offense. He probably feels like crap already for doing it.
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:56 PM   #14
mdoug445
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01grander
I will at least say look for a lawyer that has practiced law in that area for awhile. A lot of those people have good contacts and could get you a lesser punishment alone thru knowing people and getting you into a community service program.
forgot to include that as well, good point. when i had to get a lawyer for some speeding tickets last year I ended up with a lawyer that also handled some cases for the city as well, so he knew the prosecutor very well. i think that helped me out, as i got rid of all of it.
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:58 PM   #15
Trav79
2004 LJ Wrangler 

thank you.... thats what i was looking for...... i blame no one but myself for what i did...im thankful that no one was hurt and its taught me a lesson.... just seems silly to hire a lawyer to tell the judge im guilty

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.