Custom PC Build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Custom PC Build

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #91
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok this should be an easy question:

I have an Asus A8n SLI mobo, which supports 3 gigs of ram....

I have XP home ed, which will support ____ ram.

How much ram will be supported with my setup?

--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #92
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirt View Post
Nothing wrong with looking at each board, asking questions about them, and figuring out why things are done certain ways. In fact, I completely encourage it.

It's like a lift kit. Would you buy one just because someone told you it was what you needed? I hope not.

If he's big into external storage, he might use the IEEE1394 a bunch. I know with my external drives, I much prefer to use the firewire over USB.
I will most certainly be using Firewire. I do some video editing on the side with Adobe Premier pro. I also plan to turn this thing into a complete multi-media machine.

I can do without the wifi, that's no big deal. I'll add a card if I must, but those are about $60 from what I've seen so I thought I might as well go ahead and get a more expensive mobo.

I would also like to have the eSATA drives on the back. Again, firewire is an absolute must for me, but the eSATA looks even better. Those are just for external drives, right?

And Newdriver, the mobo you posted up is on the top of the list now, but as thedirt has said, I want to look into this thing heavily and weigh all the options.

Is gigabyte a good manufacturer?

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #93
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

While we're on the topic of heat sinks, so far from what I've seen there seems to be 2 really popular brands. One is the one NewdRiver posted up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835154001

Looks pretty cool. This is the other cooler I found that people also seem to really like, and the one I'm currently learning towrads. It also lights up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118019

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #94
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

I like this one because it looks like something terry gilliam would have come up with;

The truth is though that the stock Intel cooling fan (that comes with the retail box) works perfectly well unless you're overclocking.

I have a Scythe Infinity heatsink for when I start overclocking my Q6600 but it's complete overkill if you're not running faster;

See? Subtle it isn't
Unread 06-23-2008, 07:17 PM   #95
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

good god.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #96
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #97
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

any other fans I should look into? Or is the CPU enough?

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #98
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdRiver View Post
That board uses DDR3 memory which is overpriced and overrated. Compared to the P5E there are two external SATA and a IE1394, all of which I doubt that you will use. And two more USB, but are you really even going to use six in the back? The one extra LAN port and the WiFi thing are nice but if you are going to be using a wireless router neither matters.

Stop trying to find different hardware, I already picked it out for you
Alright, tell me what you think of this list. I have everything but the monitor (coming out of my pocket seperately, need to see in person first) and the speakers (need to hear them in person first). So, this should be everything but the monitor and speakers. It's all Intel/ATI based, and yes, I ended up choosing quite a few of your recommendations.

Do let me know if there are problems or other specifics I should consider. I'd appreciate it.

Now, onto the goods...

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail

XCLIO A380BK Fully Black High Gloss Finish SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

You said that the fan on the front doesn't work or something like that or that it wasn't powered? Can you explain to me what you meant and why that's a problem. I like the case besides the branding. Looks excellent and people seem to be satisfied with it. There are similar models around, but they have mesh side panels and not glass which seems to me like cooling wouldn't be as efficient since there's no chamber. I don't know though. Please be specific!

Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3500320NS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

The drive you recommended.

SAPPHIRE 100242L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Going to crossfire them. Sound good?

ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ700 700W ATX12V / EPS12V Patent Piperock Modular Power Supply - Retail

Awesome PSU. So far the components you picked look good too, and I haven't even reached the ram yet!

Logitech G15 2-Tone USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - Retail

Logitech G9 Black 5 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB Wired Laser Gaming Mouse - Retail

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664AR804 - Retail

Amazing. Who would have thought RAM could look so cool?

Is this what they look like in person?
[YT]xx8CaJzwdic[/YT]

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

Continued...

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #99
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

And last but not least (and not fully decided on yet)...

ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Please tell me what you think. This has a firewire port on it and the x48 chipset. And it still utilizes DDR2 memory. I have no idea of the balistic memory would work alright with it. It's a nice board and seems to have pretty good reviews (besides the normal bashing every product gets).

All of that for a grand total of......$1,802.86 without shipping. What's left over will go to speakers and perhaps even a sound card if I have enough $$$.

The monitor is on my own dime.

Tell me your thoughts guys and if I missed anything. My big concern is the case and if I need to add extra fans (exhaust maybe?).

Thanks!

† Christian Jeep Club †

Last edited by bman9089; 06-23-2008 at 09:26 PM..
Unread 06-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #100
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirt View Post
Everything looks good so far except for the hard drive. I highly recommend you get a perpendicular recording type drive. The longitudinal has space problems when you start running into the sizes you are looking at.

Plus, it's cheaper, and a more reliable technology: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148288
Good point. I'd like to know what NewdRiver thinks of this as well.

Hey, I'm all about saving a little cash. I still gotta factor in shipping. I might even back down on the mobo $50 if there isn't anything in the above that makes much of a performance or flexibility difference. Worse comes to worse I'll drop one of the video cards and run crossfire later. I'd like to get it up and functional though in a complete state. I don't want to add a card later and find the system unstable, ya know?

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #101
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

I don't think that cooler will fit on the motherboard with the giant heatsink over the chips. Maybe look into it.

Oh as for the RAM, there's an awesome rebate on the faster 1066 Tracer 2x1GB kit that's good for two rebates per household. Might as well buy two.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148070

Not only looks good but uses the best quality memory chips, same ones as top-end Corsair. I hope it looks as good as it does online, I'm buying a couple too

Also, check this out. So one is parallel and the other is perpendiclar? Go with the cheaper one (plus dirt says its better)!!!

As far as the DVD burner goes, I don't understand why they have all these? It's only two different models; one of each are in the full retail boxes and the others are just the drive in a plain box (OEM). Just pick one I suppose, they all have the same specs.

Otherwise, I like it a lot
NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #102
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just found out that I might be able to get Vista for free. I'm not sure just yet.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-23-2008, 10:07 PM   #103
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdRiver View Post
I don't think that cooler will fit on the motherboard with the giant heatsink over the chips. Maybe look into it.

Oh as for the RAM, there's an awesome rebate on the faster 1066 Tracer 2x1GB kit that's good for two rebates per household. Might as well buy two.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148070

Not only looks good but uses the best quality memory chips, same ones as top-end Corsair. I hope it looks as good as it does online, I'm buying a couple too

Also, check this out. So one is parallel and the other is perpendiclar? Go with the cheaper one (plus dirt says its better)!!!

As far as the DVD burner goes, I don't understand why they have all these? It's only two different models; one of each are in the full retail boxes and the others are just the drive in a plain box (OEM). Just pick one I suppose, they all have the same specs.

Otherwise, I like it a lot
Give me a second to edit my posts and totals above.

A couple questions.

1.) What do you think of the mother board? Honest opinion. Do you still prefer the one you posted up?

2.) Do I have enough slots to have 4 dimms worth of 1gb ram? I'm not against it. That'll add more lights and make the case look fuller.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #104
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Also NewdRiver, what about the case didn't you like?

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #105
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

lots of updates.

I looked through the reviews and found out that the zalman (which is huge ) will indeed fit on the board. I found a review of the board and another guy mentioned his setup:

"CURRENT SETUP I USED WITH THIS PRODUCT MOBO: Asus Rampage Formula, CPU: Intel E8400 3.0GHz, HSF: Zalman CNPS 9700 NT, VIDEO: BFG Nvidia 9800 GX2, RAM: 4GBs Corsair Dominator, POWER: PC Power and Cooling 750watt, CASE: Coolermaster Cosmos S"

† Christian Jeep Club †

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.