Custom PC Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Custom PC Build

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #61
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Intel-branded. But I did some reading up and I guess you can OC with them now. Apparently it's been a very recent change as the P965 and 975X are the first to support it.

Overclocking is such a pain though. Fiddling with dozens of settings in minute increments for hours on end... just to squeeze out a few more FPS. Thankfully hardware these days is so much more efficient than it was just a few years ago.

PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #62
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What do you guys think of this case? It's between this and the Antec 900 at this point, and so far, I'm liking the idea of the Full Tower.

So, it's between the Antec 900 and the XCLIO A380 in black.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811103010

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #63
Otahyoni

That looks nice and that is a massive fan...
Otahyoni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #64
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Subtle, very subtle, I like it

I wouldn't run it on carpet though, you'll get lots of dust sucked in through the front.
Unread 06-22-2008, 12:09 AM   #65
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki View Post
Subtle, very subtle, I like it

I wouldn't run it on carpet though, you'll get lots of dust sucked in through the front.
Yeah, I read a review where one guy said to keep your cats away.

So far, besides small complaints (all items seem to have complaints somewhere) it looks to be a pretty good case.

I'm still torn between ATI and Nvidia though. I'd much prefer to run Nvidia, but I can't find anything that can match that ATI setup posted earlier.

Not sure what to do.

Is EVGA a good manufacturer?

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-22-2008, 12:13 AM   #66
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post
Yeah, I read a review where one guy said to keep your cats away.
Yeah, I had a full tower once that had so many fans in the front it needed a pet exclusion zone, if I left the window open, bird strikes became a significant possibility
Quote:
I'm still torn between ATI and Nvidia though. I'd much prefer to run Nvidia, but I can't find anything that can match that ATI setup posted earlier.

Not sure what to do.
Well, ATI are not bad, I just prefer to run NVidia, I've never had significant problems with NVidia cards - I prefer reliability over outright speed.
Quote:
Is EVGA a good manufacturer?
Yep, I'm running an EVGA 8800 GT, no problems, even though it's overclocked.
Unread 06-22-2008, 12:28 AM   #67
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, both of those ATI boards together in cost are ~$400.

Do you know of any Nvidia boards that could compete?

I'm not against running a single board either, and perhaps adding another unit to upgrade to SLI or crossfire down the road. That makes more sense to me anyways, so that I don't box myself in and have room to upgrade later on.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-22-2008, 01:01 AM   #68
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

I'm running a single 8800GT and those run $200 or so these days and they're perfectly fine.

SLI is nice, but I find it unnecessary, I can run the vast majority of games out there at top settings with no problems, stupid **** like Crysis doesnt run on any ****ing machine, but HL2, Company of Heroes (), World in Conflict () and pretty much every other PC game I have run fine.

It'll drive two screens although I'm currently only running one at the moment.
Unread 06-22-2008, 01:14 AM   #69
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

hmmm....uh oh. Do I need a sound card? I don't think I included that.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-22-2008, 01:17 AM   #70
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

btw kyo, the 9800 gtx is on sale for $200 now. Nvidia lowered the price to compete with the new ATI HD 4850. It seems to match up perfectly with the radeon card, performance and price. But it's bigger, and uses 2 power ports? What's that about?

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-22-2008, 01:17 AM   #71
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nah, your motherboard should come with an onboard 5.1 or better sound chip. Decent enough to get the job done anyway.
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 01:19 AM   #72
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
btw kyo, the 9800 gtx is on sale for $200 now. Nvidia lowered the price to compete with the new ATI HD 4850. It seems to match up perfectly with the radeon card, performance and price. But it's bigger, and uses 2 power ports? What's that about?
More processing power needs more raw power, I'm waiting until "small coal fired power plant" comes as part of the minimum requirements on the box.

If you can get a 9800GTX for the same price as an 8800GT I say go for it
Unread 06-22-2008, 03:01 AM   #73
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

haha, yeah, I figured the one attached to the mobo might not be enough. It has an optical out though, which surprised the hell out of me.

I think I'll wait on that and add it later if I want. I don't want to buy a nice card and not afford a good speaker setup. Anyone got any suggestions for a good audio system at around $100? Good manufacturer?

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-22-2008, 03:09 AM   #74
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, so I'm playing with an Intel/Nvidia setup.

I'll post up all the specs so you guys can fix any problems or tell me what else I need to do before I go with anything. I'm hoping to have the parts ordered within the next couple weeks. Optimally, by the end of the month.

I'm looking at running EVGA mobo with dual Nvidia 9800 GTXs in SLI mode. What kind of power will I need? I need suggestions on the power supply now. I'm not sure which manufacturer is good or how much power I will need.

So far after piecing everything together except the power supply and speaker system, I'm sitting at about $1400. I'm still shocked at how I pulled that off. We'll see if I get everything. I feel like I'm building parts for an engine.

(Thanks for all the help so far! I'll post up pics when I get the system built! )

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-22-2008, 06:29 AM   #75
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

What did I say about the 9800GTXs?
NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.