Custom PC Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Custom PC Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #46
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip J Fry View Post
Know of any screensavers that support multi-monitors?
http://www.dreamaquarium.com/index.html

That should, if it doesn't let me know and I'll get a hold of the author and tell him to fix it

Unread 06-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #47
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Regarding video cards, this was posted today;
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=580

Long story short, the 9800 GTX is 10-15% faster than the 8800 GT but it's 50% more expensive, so the 8800 GT is still the better value.
Unread 06-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #48
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdRiver View Post
Threw together a list for you:

-Asus P5E $224.99
-Intel E8400 $189.99
-Tuniq Tower $49.99
-Arctic Silver thermal compound $5.99
-Crucial Ballistix Tracer (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 $129.99
-Seagate 32MB cache 500GB HDD $104.99
-ABS Tagan BZ 700W PSU $164.99
-Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB X2 $379.98 (some wierd automatic discount)- $20 rebate
-Thermaltake Armor case $169.99- $35 rebate
-Lite-On DVD burner $33.99
-Gateway 24" monitor $479.99

Total: $1954.88 up front and then $55 in rebates

Not only is it in budget, it is better than the Alienware in terms of quality of the parts, the CPU is rediculously better, and it has about twice the graphics power.

Crap, you need a keyboard and mouse and speakers too. Oh well. G15, G5, and Klipsch 2.1 speakers bring it up to $2249.85

Note: You'll have to pick up Vista somewhere, there should be some local computer retailers selling the OEM version for cheap, or you could pick it up from Newegg for $84.99, .....or you could be resourceful online

BTW, I tried configuring an Alienware how you had it. They don't sell the 26" Samsung so I chose the 24". Upgraded to what you had listed, everything else left as it was $2253.00. The price they charge for a larger hard drive scared the crap out of me.

Not only is my list cheaper, it will perform rediculously better.
Excellent. Thank you for creating a starting point for me. I wanna go over a couple things.

First off, you can drop the monitor out of the budget. $2000 budget for everything except the monitor which I'll be getting seperately. I think I'm going to go for the single 26" samsung (I need to go look at it first at bestbuy). I'll stick with that at first and see where it puts me, then, later on when I can recoup some funds, I'll look into a dual monitor upgrade.

A few questions about the components you selected:

1.) Motherboard - Is it expandable? I do have a precision workstation from dell with xenon processors and it can take 2 of them and 16 gigs of ram. It's VERY expandable and I love that. How expandable is this motherboard? Maybe instead of getting quad cores, I could get a MB that supports 2 processors and run the duo processors? I'd like the ability to simple add a processor over time and upgrade it. I'd like this thing to get me through college at least, and be blazing fast. I hate computers that can't keep up with me, and I don't want to box myself in with a motherboard that can't be expanded upon.

2.)Those Radeons look sweet. Will those work alright? Are the drivers good? They are brand new so I'm hesitant. Also, would they smoke 2 nvidia 8800 GTs? And if I decide to run multiple monitors in the future, run 2 for work and 1 for gaming, is that possible with these cards? Again, I don't want to box myself in.

I may look around for other cases. That one looks nice, and I do want something showy, not just a plain black box. Nothing gaudy though. Any suggestions on brands or what I should watch out for?

3.) Is that power supply enough to power those cards?

Thanks for all the help! I'm doing even more research tonight, so I'll keep you posted. It sounds like my padres are liking the custom computer thought. I'd like to build it myself and be able to call it my own.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #49
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki View Post
Regarding video cards, this was posted today;
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=580

Long story short, the 9800 GTX is 10-15% faster than the 8800 GT but it's 50% more expensive, so the 8800 GT is still the better value.
How would those compare to the new Radeons though? I've had both brands and prefer Nvidia but I still like ATI. That being said, if ATI is in the lead right now, I may go with that (the card posted above by NewdRiver). Only bad spots I've read about ATI are driver issues.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #50
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post
How would those compare to the new Radeons though? I've had both brands and prefer Nvidia but I still like ATI. That being said, if ATI is in the lead right now, I may go with that (the card posted above by NewdRiver). Only bad spots I've read about ATI are driver issues.
Looks like the ATI card is perfectly fine for games, but I don't trust ATI drivers for 3d applications, your mileage may vary.
Unread 06-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #51
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki View Post
Looks like the ATI card is perfectly fine for games, but I don't trust ATI drivers for 3d applications, your mileage may vary.
you mean it would cause glitches in programs like fireworks?

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #52
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post
you mean it would cause glitches in programs like fireworks?
I don't know fireworks, but I've had bad experiences with ATI drivers in 3ds, though admittedly that was in the dim and distant past, so you might be ok.

Research OpenGL support with the card you want to get, it's always been pretty decent with NVidia (since they also produce Quadro cards for professional workstations), less so with ATI since their cards are usually aimed at gaming.
Unread 06-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #53
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Would an Antec 900 case be big enough? Or should I look into the 1200? I'm not sure if I need a full size tower or mid size. I only really want what I need, but I don't mind a large case if there are lots of extra benefits to it.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #54
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Excellent. Thank you for creating a starting point for me. I wanna go over a couple things.

First off, you can drop the monitor out of the budget. $2000 budget for everything except the monitor which I'll be getting seperately. I think I'm going to go for the single 26" samsung (I need to go look at it first at bestbuy). I'll stick with that at first and see where it puts me, then, later on when I can recoup some funds, I'll look into a dual monitor upgrade.
That's how I picked out a monitor. You really need to go there and look at them and see what looks nice to yours eyes.

Quote:
1.) Motherboard - Is it expandable? I do have a precision workstation from dell with xenon processors and it can take 2 of them and 16 gigs of ram. It's VERY expandable and I love that. How expandable is this motherboard? Maybe instead of getting quad cores, I could get a MB that supports 2 processors and run the duo processors? I'd like the ability to simple add a processor over time and upgrade it. I'd like this thing to get me through college at least, and be blazing fast. I hate computers that can't keep up with me, and I don't want to box myself in with a motherboard that can't be expanded upon.
....don't go there. Dual processor boards usually need both processors to function corrently. They are designed specifially for server applications. Intel does have a new platform they call Skulltrail. You can google that. Then you can look at the prices...dual processors is not an option for you. Besides, the Xenons are not designed to handle games.

The E8400 will have speed to spare. With that Tuniq Tower you'll pretty much max the speed out on air without changing the voltage. Probably a little bit more than 4Ghz. That's plently, any games are going to be GPU limited at that point. As I said the ASUS has a quick overclocking feature, and the instruction manuals explain everything very well. I really like that board and it's the second choice for my upcoming system. First choice is a DFI board but you'd have a tough time with all the settings. I'll be having a tough time with the settings . Intel is actually releasing a new socket next year, LGA 1366 so yes it will go obsolete, everything does. Think of it this way, when the new ones come out late next year, the prices of the Extreme series will drop dramatically (extremes have unlocked multiplier) and you'll still be able to keep up. My 5 year old 3500+ is only just starting to feel dated. You'll have two PCI slots and two PCIe 1x slots available how I have it configured. There are devices for both buses. You'll have no problem adding a network card or a TV tuner later on.

Oh that Arctic Silver thermal compound is for the CPU heatsink. It's the best there is; for a couple of dollars you'll see a few degrees lower on the temperatures compare to using the cheap crap they pack with the processor.

Quote:
2.)Those Radeons look sweet. Will those work alright? Are the drivers good? They are brand new so I'm hesitant. Also, would they smoke 2 nvidia 8800 GTs? And if I decide to run multiple monitors in the future, run 2 for work and 1 for gaming, is that possible with these cards? Again, I don't want to box myself in.
See here. A single card smokes the 9800GTX. I can't find a 8800gt sli v. 4850 cf review at the moment, but I assure you it'll beat them. ATI released a new Catalyst driver, 8.6 designed for these cards. The cool thing about owning a ATI recently is that they release driver updates almost weekly now; they work on them constantly and each one typically gives you very nice frame rate inscreases in the latest games. Yes the multiple monitor thing will work just fine. You'll have to disable and enable settings like I said before but that takes maybe 20 seconds.

Quote:
I may look around for other cases. That one looks nice, and I do want something showy, not just a plain black box. Nothing gaudy though. Any suggestions on brands or what I should watch out for?
YES! There are tons of cases, I just figured that you were on the Tt bandwagon. Here's the one I like. I like the brushed silver, they have it in black too. I like full tower for its expandability: I'll have no problem shoving a watercooling setup in there if I want to, there are plenty of bays available for whatever...I also like doors on hinges. Full towers look more impressive on your desk too . I'm not a fan of unconvertional designs, but I do know that the Antec 1200 is a ripoff. They basically added a fan to the top and raised the price. The 900 is very popular for a reason. You may also like the Coolermaster Stackers. Aluminum is going to be lighter (a must for me, I'm going to be carrying my system back and forth) but its also noisier. Typically the quality on the aluminum cases is better than the steel because manufacuters need to be gentler putting it togeter because the metal is weaker. Hence the Aurora has a nickel plated steel backplate so the screws don't strip out...(yes I'm trying to persuade you do buy it ). Read some reviews and pick what you like.

Quote:
3.) Is that power supply enough to power those cards?
With plenty to spare.

Quote:
Thanks for all the help! I'm doing even more research tonight, so I'll keep you posted. It sounds like my padres are liking the custom computer thought. I'd like to build it myself and be able to call it my own.

Those are just the essential parts, you can add fan contollers (your motherboard will have fan connectors on it and you can change the speeds in the BIOS or set them to vary according to the temperature, but controllers allow you to adjust them in real time to lower the noise or up them went it gets hot), cold cathode lights (if you geta case with a window these are almost a must), etc, UV reactive or colored SATA cables....cool thing is most of those parts are really inexpensive too.

Last edited by NewdRiver_; 06-20-2008 at 11:49 PM..
NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 11:44 PM   #55
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

Kyo, about ATI and OpenGL:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...7991&Itemid=34
NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 04:26 AM   #56
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Do cases ever go obsolete? Like if I wanted to switch out the Mobo?

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 06-21-2008, 04:33 AM   #57
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Also, what are some good manufacturers for things like mobos and graphics cards? EVGA seems to be good, I don't know about others though. They all make the same cards it seems like, so who has the best track record?

EDIT: One last thing, what do you think of this board? It's the same price as the other board and seems to have more connections on the rear. Plus, it'd made by Intel so I figure it's good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121338

† Christian Jeep Club †

Last edited by bman9089; 06-21-2008 at 04:54 AM..
Unread 06-21-2008, 06:00 AM   #58
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The X38 version of that board was excellent; I can only imagine that newer version is just as good. However it uses DDR3 RAM which is unnecessarily expensive compared to DDR2 which is dirt cheap right now. The high latency timings of DDR3 strip away any advantages it might have over DDR2. One thing about Intel-manufactured boards though -- you can't overclock the CPU with them. Not that that's a huge deal though, because today's processors do more work per clock cycle making their performance less reliant on FSB speed. Just wanted to point that out.

Your case's form factor will outlast your desire to keep it. The only reasons to get a new one are your needs for space, cooling and/or aesthetics.
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #59
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

I'm running this case;

The thing is an absolute beast, weighs 40 lbs, built from solid aluminum. The entire side of it holds 120mm fans, but if you choose decent quality ones it isn't particularly noisy - the loudest thing in my machine is the raptor hard drive.

Costs $420, but it comes with a 1000W power supply, the only thing I don't like about the PSU is that it isn't modular, so I might switch that out with another one that doesn't have lots of superfluous wires sticking out and interfering with airflow.
Unread 06-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #60
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirt View Post
Huh? I'm running an Intel Core 2 Duo with intel chips and my CPU has been overclocked 20% for the last year or so.
Huh... when did they change that? I haven't had an Intel board for ages and that used to be the only reason most modders didn't buy them.
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.