Cummins vs Chevy drags Chevy around the block!!!!!!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Cummins vs Chevy drags Chevy around the block!!!!!!!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #31
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mox View Post
Chevy guy pulled a gun on the Dodge after he quit dragging him around. Also broke the Chevy tie rods, bent his bumper and flat spotted all his tires. Chevy boy was running his mouth off and got showed up.
Where'd you hear that?

prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #32
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cconn View Post
Engine power actually plays pretty much no part in a bumper to bumper pull like this. This may not make sense, but it is only how much power you can put on the ground that matters. I had a single cab 1995 Chevy 1 ton dually with a 350 in it an automatic transmission. One of the weakest duallys on the market. One night we hooked it up bumper to bumper with another guys 1 ton dually Ford Powestroke, extended cab with manual transmission. To my and everyone else's great suprise, I was able to drag the Ford all over the parking lot, despite having significantly less horsepower and torque. I believe the automatic transmission gave me the most advantage.
Actually, engine power plays a huge part in this. You need torque to turn the drive shafts, and you need power to make torque.
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #33
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

If the Dodge was locked -in 4wd, the chevy never had a chance with 1200 lbs siting on the front axle. Plus the Cummins is making torque before you even push the throttle. Te chevy has to get up t 4000 or so rpm's. Put them side by side in gear at the base of a hill and see which one walks up the hill with no input and which one doesn't move.
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #34
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just by looking at the vid, it looks like he was in 4wd. He whipped that chevy around like it wasnt even there. Too funny. But as someone said earlier, if the chevy had stepped on it, the result wouldnt have been as bad. I was surprised to see how easy the chevy went over the burm though.
Unread 12-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #35
cconn
Mud Bogger

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddr1 View Post
Actually, engine power plays a huge part in this. You need torque to turn the drive shafts, and you need power to make torque.
Nope, of all the other variables, gear ratio, weight, tires, etc, power would play the least factor in a bumper to bumper pull. My 70 horsepower tractor will drag my 300+ horsepower Chevy all over the place.
2013 Commando Sport. Rock Krawler 2.5" X-Factor lift. 35" MT/R's, 17x9 Pacer black wheels. ProRock 44 front axle. RCV shafts, ARB front and rear lockers. 4.56 gears. Coast 1310 drive shafts. TeraFlex adjustable tire carrier. AEV front bumper. Warn 9.5 CTI winch. TrekArmor seat covers, Spiderweb shade

Build Thread : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/c.../#post15031329
cconn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #36
IEcrawlerTJ01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

LMAO!!! Funniest vid I have seen in a long time

Chevy guy deserved it if he was talkin **** haha

CUMMINS all the way!

Nuff said...[/CENTER]
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #37
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cconn View Post
Nope, of all the other variables, gear ratio, weight, tires, etc, power would play the least factor in a bumper to bumper pull. My 70 horsepower tractor will drag my 300+ horsepower Chevy all over the place.
OK what ever..
Unread 12-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #38
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddr1 View Post
OK what ever..
Um, he's right. To a degree.

Top image below : 1956 Oliver tractor with a 45bhp inline 6 gas engine. No idea on gearing, but it must have been close to 3000:1 final.

Bottom image below : 1981 Chev pickup (close enough on year, can't find a pic of my exact one) with an estimated 265bhp V-8 gas engine. Can't remember exactly, but gearing was about 16:1 (I think).

Biggest problem with trying to compare them is I had around 64 square inches of rubber contacting the ground. The Oliver tractor had around 150. I had around 3500 pounds sitting on those 64 sq in, my neighbor was pushing 5,000 pounds on his.

Needless to say, my neighbor didn't even notice I was back there, let alone trying to pull him. I had to blow the horn for him to even realize he'd forgotten to disconnect the chain before just calmly driving away. Dragging me along without even trying.

It's all about low end torque and the contact patch of your tires (plus a good dose of weight ON those tires). Horsepower without the other two means you're dancing on the end of a cable/strap/chain being dragged around like an inner tube on snow.
tractor.jpg   truck.jpg  
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #39
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prjohnson View Post
Where'd you hear that?
Someone had posted on harlinecrawlers a screenshot of the text conversation between the boy in the Dodge and himself.
2004 Wrangler X, 6-cylinder, 5-speed, Dana 30 w/ARB, Alloy USA front shafts, Dana 35, 2" BB, 1" BL, OME shocks, Brown Dog MML, UCF Ultra High-Clearance Skid, Lo-Pro Mount, SYE, Pro Comp Adj. Control Arms, Savvy Gas Tank skid, JKS Quick Disconnects, Rock Hard Sliders, 31" BF Goodrich KM2's on Ravine wheels, Hard Top, Bestop Soft-top, Bestop Safari Top

2010 Moab Trip Thread with JeepForum Members
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f95/i...010-a-1038859/

Dont hate on the guy that keeps his Jeep clean....
Hate on the guy that doesn't get his Jeep dirty....
J-Mox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.