Cross Country Roadtrip in my JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Cross Country Roadtrip in my JK

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
rubiguy
2012 J-Series Truck 

Cross Country Roadtrip in my JK

Hey guys... So I'm taking a road trip cross country in my 2012 Rubicon Unlimited. From New Jersey to Cali and back, with some stops along the way. 25 days on the road. Pretty much stock rubi.
So I'm looking for any suggestions, advise, places to go, what to do and what not to do.

Departure date is July 16th and arriving back into jersey on August 8th.

Thank you in advance for anything you have to offer. Happy wheelin and tread lightly.

rubiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Do you have any destinations in mind? That is a whole lot of country so without some kind of direction on where you are heading it's a blank slate. But Moab..
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
rubiguy
2012 J-Series Truck 

Well, we're heading to Cali and back. Heading northwest going and southeast coming back. Hittin Cleveland, Chicago, S.Dakota, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Cali, going then Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, New Orleans, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, on the way back.
I know I'm missing some important stops along the way but had to sacrifice some destinations cause of time. But any suggestions, tips, information would be great.
Thanks again and happy wheelin
rubiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So safe to assume since S. Dakota is on the list that Mt Rushmore is a planned stop? Crazy horse is pretty neat too.. both are pretty quick in an out if you want them to be, or you can spend time reading all the displays and history and such.

In CO it might be out of the way if Moab is planned, but the million dollar highway and then mesa verde. In UT pick any of the parks, from my understanding they are all amazing, but I've only been in Arches, and Canyonlands. If you plan to wheel in Moab, I'd recommend Fins N Things, it's well marked, classic, fun and a stock rubi will be fine.

Grand Canyon, then over to Las Vegas.

Once you are to the border of CA if you want an easy offroad 2ish days trip you can run the Mojave Road instead of taking the highways. If you dip this far south off the get go though you will miss all of the northern cali stuff.. Yosemite, Sequoia, Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz...

Coming back across the south I'd swing into Roswell just for kicks, it was interesting but I wouldn't plan to spend a lot of time there. I haven't spend enough time in the southern states to make many other recommendations..
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #5
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you see this truck out on the interstate, make sure to honk and wave. That's me. If it's an Asian guy driving, that's my co-driver.

And please keep your ****ing distance if it's my co-driver, I sure as hell would. You've been warned.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Skip Cali and hit Oregon. Do Winimucca to Kalamath Falls, then North on 140 to 62 and cruise the Crater Lake rim North, over 138, 230, 62 and down to the Rogue valley. Up I5 to 42 and out to North Bend and play on the the sand dunes. North on 101 through Tillamook (air museum) to Astoria (Goonies and the maritime museum), 202/103 or back to Seaside and 26 down through camp 18. Stop at OMSI in Portland, then down I5 to just North of Eugene and East on 34/20/126 through the lave beds and into Sisters.
You will see some of the most beautiful scenery and have ample time to do some offroading if you get the yen.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
bobjp

The Badlands in SD are cool. I'd plan a full day there at minimum. And Mt. Rushmore is pretty quick as mentioned.

I'd recommend the Grand Tetons and possibly Yellowstone, but it sounds like you want to be south.

FYI, Chicago rapes you on tolls when you take I90 and don't even dare to travel through there at rush hour.I take it you want to go to SD because I80 through Iowa is definitely the faster route to get where you're going.
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Rusty Scupper

Sylvan Lake - Custer South Dakota. Nice small lake, with hiking trails behind the lake.

Harney Peak - Custer South Dakota - nice hike up to a fire lookout. You can leave from the Sylvan Lake parking lot.

Cheyenne Crossing, Spearfish SD - Nice restaurant cafe. Hot fudge brownie sunday to die for.

Wall Drug, Wall SD - Just so you can say you stopped there.

FYI... Some of the gas stations are shut down at night so plan accordingly.
Rusty Scupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper
If you see this truck out on the interstate, make sure to honk and wave. That's me. If it's an Asian guy driving, that's my co-driver.

And please keep your ****ing distance if it's my co-driver, I sure as hell would. You've been warned.
Don't stereotype Asian drivers bro ... about 10% of them can actually drive pretty well.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
Don't stereotype Asian drivers bro ... about 10% of them can actually drive pretty well.

Come to my company and you'll see how true that joke really is.

Still not enough power.
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:

Im sure you get asked this alot, and probably could take forever about the pros and cons. But on a day to day basis, do you enjoy being a trucker?
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #12
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepComanche89 View Post
Im sure you get asked this alot, and probably could take forever about the pros and cons. But on a day to day basis, do you enjoy being a trucker?
I would enjoy it more if I was working for a company that keeps its word and employs people that speak English.

Still not enough power.
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:

I would enjoy it more if I was working for a company that keeps its word and employs people that speak English.
Understandable, just wondering as i always thought it was a cool career
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #14
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepComanche89 View Post
Understandable, just wondering as i always thought it was a cool career
When alley docking no longer makes your butt cheeks tight, it's at that point trucking becomes boring. By then you've probably seen enough **** out there that nothing surprises you anymore.

Still not enough power.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.