Crawfish Season is upon us!!!!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Crawfish Season is upon us!!!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 01-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #31
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is there a better or faster method than the one I have always used? After I pop the tail off, I twist the first section of shell off and the vein will pull out with it. I then hold the meat I just exposed with my left fingers, with my right fingers I hold the edge of the remaining shell and pull the meat out.

Cuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #32
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I am hungry now
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #33
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

we don't have crayfish of that caliber up north. I am extremely jealous that anyone gets to see 1500lbs of crayfish meat in their lifetime, let alone in a single year.

I might get a dozen in a trap in a week, at best.
Unread 01-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #34
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuder View Post
Is there a better or faster method than the one I have always used? After I pop the tail off, I twist the first section of shell off and the vein will pull out with it. I then hold the meat I just exposed with my left fingers, with my right fingers I hold the edge of the remaining shell and pull the meat out.
I always tore off the first section of tail like you said but with the right fingers squeeze or pinch near the end of the tail and it helps to push the meat out and is less likely for the meat to tear near the tip.
2004 Wrangler X, 6-cylinder, 5-speed, Dana 30 w/ARB, Alloy USA front shafts, Dana 35, 2" BB, 1" BL, OME shocks, Brown Dog MML, UCF Ultra High-Clearance Skid, Lo-Pro Mount, SYE, Pro Comp Adj. Control Arms, Savvy Gas Tank skid, JKS Quick Disconnects, Rock Hard Sliders, 31" BF Goodrich KM2's on Ravine wheels, Hard Top, Bestop Soft-top, Bestop Safari Top

2010 Moab Trip Thread with JeepForum Members
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f95/i...010-a-1038859/

Dont hate on the guy that keeps his Jeep clean....
Hate on the guy that doesn't get his Jeep dirty....
J-Mox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #35
MossGreen97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
we don't have crayfish of that caliber up north. I am extremely jealous that anyone gets to see 1500lbs of crayfish meat in their lifetime, let alone in a single year.
One of the contractors my company deals with, throws a crawfish boil a couple weeks after Good Friday(when the prices go down). All Belle River crawfish 4000-5000 lbs. of them. No, that is not a typo! If you think select crawfish are big, you should see these monsters. We plan our year around this.
Free crawfish and all the free beer you can drink I will have to take some pictures this time.
Unread 01-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #36
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MossGreen97 View Post
One of the contractors my company deals with, throws a crawfish boil a couple weeks after Good Friday(when the prices go down). All Belle River crawfish 4000-5000 lbs. of them. No, that is not a typo! If you think select crawfish are big, you should see these monsters. We plan our year around this.
Free crawfish and all the free beer you can drink I will have to take some pictures this time.
I would pull myself to louisiana with my eyelids for that sort of thing.
Unread 01-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #37
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mudbug festival in Shreveport is awesome and Miller Light Crawfish Boil in Jackson, MS. is great also. Even tho they are not free.

As for eating Crawfish, I pull head and tail apart, suck the head, pinch the bottom of the tail (inside of tail) with my thumbnail and my index finger wrapped around the backside of the tail, place the meat that is sticking out into my mouth and bite down slightly, then pull with hand holding the tail. I dont worry about the trail going down the meat or the yellow stuff, it all adds flavor. No pealing the first piece of shell or anything, my 10 & 8 year old girls have been doing it for a couple years now and my 2 year old son will get his first taste this spring. If they can do it anyone can.
And you keep the terrorists in check before you get your *** blowed off.[/B][/FONT]
RebuildRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #38
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Mmmmm... Mudbugs....

We used to get a big bed of coals going, steam up mudbugs and pi** clams while we got drunk, gorge ourselves stupid, firewalk on the last of the coals.

Those was the days. Gawd help you if you try firewalking these days - either the EPA or the CPSC will be all over you in about ten farkin' seconds...

Government sure knows how to wreck a good time, don't they?
Unread 01-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #39
sardog12
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5RMQ View Post
Waaay too much work for the reward. Make mine shrimp.
You just don't know how to do it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdemux View Post
Next summer we'll try the more traditional way of boiling corn & potatoes along side the crawfish. We would have, but being on an island means logistics have to be figured out before you get there.
New potatoes (smaller) are the best to go with crawfish.
Unread 01-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #40
LongueCarabine
1985 CJ7 

I'm in the middle of crawfish country out here. I can look out my front window across the highway are several huge fields of crawfish traps. Obviously, ours are pond raised crawfish. The ones in the Basin are considered "wild" crawfish. They are all good, though.

Pond raised crawfish have saved many a farmer from hard times.

Can't wait for March / April when they will be plentiful, cheap and BIG.

LC
LongueCarabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #41
RockyMnt1

So let's see here. We just got finished with New Year's Day. I am sure there were a few parties in New Orleans associated with that. Then there are the Saints games. I am sure there was NO alcohol/food associated with those events. Just to fill in any dull times, the Mardi Gras parades are starting up now. Next up, there is the Super Bowl which includes ther Saints (no parties there...) and to top it off, in case you missed a party or two, is Mardi Grras (Feb 16). You folks are some marathon partiers this year.....

The only thing that would enhance the taste of the mudbugs would be an ice cold can of Dixie beer!!!! Yum, creme ale of the south.....
RockyMnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.