Crawfish Season is upon us!!!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Crawfish Season is upon us!!!!!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #16
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBailey View Post
The real trick is purging your crawfish to get all of the mud out of them.

I am with you on the Pabst though, there is definetly better beer out there.
that would make sence then. the one time I tried them they tasted like mud! bleah!!! plus I doubt people out here have the cooking skills down as well as in the south.

when I was in boot camp in Texas, (way back when) all they had was Pabst in the can... and not very cold, either. nasty stuff! but we drank it anyway.
nowadays I don't drink beer nearly as much as my younger days, but it's Sierra Nevada pale ale for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #17
drdemux

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebuildRookie View Post
Have done both, but we cook so much a year its just more logical to buy them from a reputable source. I have a guy here that can get me some Monster Selects that you could eat the claws out of most of them.

I will be taking some pictures of some and posting them in the months to come.

We have our 6th annual Crawfish boil at our house this year. 70+ people, 300 lbs. crawfish, t-shirts, huggies, the whole nine yards.

300lbs is crazy! I would love to head to the south and enjoy one of these boils!

What is the approx. cost/lb of the crawfish?
Unread 01-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #18
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, who is going to explain how to purge these guys? I am hoping to set some traps in a local lake this summer and catch some. The kid really wants to eat some. Last fall we went camping and hand caught about 12 of them. They were small but he seemed to enjoy them.
I find that my hobby of strangling people to death really collides with my hobby of not being in prison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duayne77 View Post
I beat my dog every chance I can get, and you know what, I enjoy it.
bradyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #19
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdemux View Post
Do you just buy the crawfish at a store or do you go out and catch them?

My cousin has a cabin on an island right near Kenora Ontario on the Winnipeg River system. This was the first full summer for him being on the water. While we were cleaning out the old boathouse... we happened across some traps.

We placed the guts/skin/head from filleted fish inside the traps, tied them to a rock & set them up for a few days, checking them and emptying the catch into a 5 gallon bucket. Our haul was not the biggest (numbers) but enough to get the idea of cooking more. We had been catching them with nets & flashlights since we were kids, but never thought about getting enough to eat.

Well the kids were hesitant at first to try them, but once they did they were hooked! Old Bay seasoning & some Cajun spice with garlic butter to dip. The very next morning all the children tended the traps so we could have another LARGER crawfish boil. We ended up catching a few that were so big that you could even eat the meat out of the claws - there were a few that were 4"+!

Next summer we'll try the more traditional way of boiling corn & potatoes along side the crawfish. We would have, but being on an island means logistics have to be figured out before you get there.

So anyways... Anybody have tips on catching them? Better traps or bait? we used traps like these. How to Make a Crawfish Trap | eHow.com
I don't catch them,I just go to the local seafood market and buy them live by the sack full.A sack of craw fish will weigh somewhere aroun 40# give or take a few#.The weight of a sack depends on the size of the crawfish
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #20
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyman1 View Post
Okay, who is going to explain how to purge these guys? I am hoping to set some traps in a local lake this summer and catch some. The kid really wants to eat some. Last fall we went camping and hand caught about 12 of them. They were small but he seemed to enjoy them.
To purge them you just put them in a cooler or some other suitable container.Let them soak and change the water as needed until your water is no longer dirty.You can also throw in a handfull of salt in the water to help with the process.
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
drdemux

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBailey View Post
I don't catch them,I just go to the local seafood market and buy them live by the sack full.A sack of craw fish will weigh somewhere aroun 40# give or take a few#.The weight of a sack depends on the size of the crawfish
We don't have the luxury being up north. What does a ~40lb bag cost?
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #22
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
We don't have the luxury being up north. What does a ~40lb bag cost?
It all depends on the time of year you buy them.I have paid as little as .75 cents a pound as high as 1.50 per pound.Typically they will be very high until after the super bowl.
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #23
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
300lbs is crazy! I would love to head to the south and enjoy one of these bowels! i believe this is the correct spelling.

It varies with the seasons, but typical now is $4 per lb. it will drop in late april and may to $1.25-$1.50 per lb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyman1 View Post
I do the salt thing once and I dont use rock salt. I fill a cooler with a sack of crawfish and dump a whole box of regular salt on them. Then fill the cooler with water and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then drain. I fill the cooler at least 7 times with fresh water and draining. My crawfish are clean and spotless, I guess thats why everyone wants me to cook'em.

for your case 15-20 crawfish you could do the same in the kitchen sink or a small cooler. and reduce the salt soaking time to about 5-8 minutes with less mudbugs.
And you keep the terrorists in check before you get your *** blowed off.[/B][/FONT]
RebuildRookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #24
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How Ya'll are? Justin Wilson be the man fer cajun fiddles, I garontee. I be lov'in me some crawfish etouffee at Pappadeaux.
Cuder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #25
LSU_TJ
TJ Wrangler 

Oh, yea! And, throw in some Saints on TV in the Superbowl!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5RMQ View Post
Waaay too much work for the reward. Make mine shrimp.
Unless you know what you're doing. I can eat 5 lbs of crawfish to 1 lb of shrimp easy. Both great but give me the crawfish all day long.

On the purging, do yourself a favor and don't do the salt method. Doesn't help and just stresses them out, and I don't mean emotionally..... Just tends to kill a few more. Just run the hose all over the sack on all sides real well to get the surface mud off then dump them in an ice chest and stick the hose down in them and let it run and overflow for a little while till the water is nice and clean. That simple. Did the salt method growing up but have since learned better.

Oh, and if you're going for the nostalgic side with the beer do it right......

LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULET

The prices stay high till after Good Friday (Easter Weekend and the highest sales in crawfish the whole season). That is when all the good Catholic families and friends have their blowout party weekend and typically do a big crawfish boil and consume massive amounts of beer because Lent is over and they can drink again since most gave that up for Lent. Mardi Gras is the blowout before Ash Wednesday and giving something up for Lent and Good Friday is the blowout for making it through....

LSU_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #26
80 CHOPPER
2003 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=LSU_TJ;8719402]Oh, yea! And, throw in some Saints on TV in the Superbowl!!!

Unless you know what you're doing. I can eat 5 lbs of crawfish to 1 lb of shrimp easy. Both great but give me the crawfish all day long.

Only 5 to 1 , what happened, broke your hand.
Unread 01-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #27
ancestralworm
there will be crying

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I must chime in on such a delicious thread. Sitting outside in a lawn chair, eating crawfish out of a beer flat and washing it all down with an Abita, accompany that with a fine woman in tight shorts and Hotdamn that is heaven on earth!

Cheers to the deep south!
Black Jeep Society victim#19

"The Jeep is America's only real sports car" - Enzo Ferrari

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
ancestralworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #28
mdywglr4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancestralworm View Post
I must chime in on such a delicious thread. Sitting outside in a lawn chair, eating crawfish out of a beer flat and washing it all down with an Abita, accompany that with a fine woman in tight shorts and Hotdamn that is heaven on earth!

Cheers to the deep south!

Yeah C'Mon!
Unread 01-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #29
LSU_TJ
TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Only 5 to 1 , what happened, broke your hand.

Yea,,,, guess arthritis is setting in, in my old age........

LSU_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #30
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
300lbs is crazy! I would love to head to the south and enjoy one of these boils!

300 lbs sounds like alot but it really isn't considering most of the weight is in the bodies; your buying the whole live crawfish and you eat only the tail and maybe a claw if it's big enough.

Man I LOVE crawfish!! I miss going to West Monroe, La to my wife's parents and having a boil during season. I just don't miss her stupid a$$ family I love the potatoes and corn and making ****tail sauce for them

As far as the question about purging, we did the salt thing also because I was told it made the crawfish vomit due to the saltwater so you got a better cleaning. It usually took 2-3 water changes to get them clean.
2004 Wrangler X, 6-cylinder, 5-speed, Dana 30 w/ARB, Alloy USA front shafts, Dana 35, 2" BB, 1" BL, OME shocks, Brown Dog MML, UCF Ultra High-Clearance Skid, Lo-Pro Mount, SYE, Pro Comp Adj. Control Arms, Savvy Gas Tank skid, JKS Quick Disconnects, Rock Hard Sliders, 31" BF Goodrich KM2's on Ravine wheels, Hard Top, Bestop Soft-top, Bestop Safari Top

2010 Moab Trip Thread with JeepForum Members
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f95/i...010-a-1038859/

Dont hate on the guy that keeps his Jeep clean....
Hate on the guy that doesn't get his Jeep dirty....
J-Mox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.