Crawfish Season is upon us!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Crawfish Season is upon us!!!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Crawfish Season is upon us!!!!!

Its that time again, Mardi Gras, Crawfish, Spring around the corner. Wait did I say

Crawfish

Just in our neighborhood over the next several months we will probably cook about 1500 lbs.

And you keep the terrorists in check before you get your *** blowed off.[/B][/FONT]
RebuildRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
mdywglr4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yum... straight yummy.
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
N5RMQ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Waaay too much work for the reward. Make mine shrimp.
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5RMQ View Post
Waaay too much work for the reward. Make mine shrimp.
You just gotta know how to do it. I can eat 5 crawfish to 1 shrimp all day long. We also cook about 500 lbs. of shrimp a year in our hood.

But

PLUS

[

Equals GREATNESS
And you keep the terrorists in check before you get your *** blowed off.[/B][/FONT]
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebuildRookie View Post
You just gotta know how to do it. I can eat 5 crawfish to 1 shrimp all day long. We also cook about 500 lbs. of shrimp a year in our hood.

But
[/B][/SIZE]
I'll second that,you must not be doing it rite.My dad,my brother,and I can eat a full sack in about 45 minutes.
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
RockWoRM
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If crawfish is so good, why does it need to be all doctored up with corn, potatoes, lemon and other stuff in order to eat it?
juz say'n.

and no offence intended... but Pabst? ... seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
If crawfish is so good, why does it need to be all doctored up with corn, potatoes, lemon and other stuff in order to eat it?
juz say'n.

Its not doctored up with that stuff its all part of the meal.The corn,potatoes,sausage,mushrooms,and onions absorb the sesoning that you boil them in and makes them that much better.The real trick is purging your crawfish to get all of the mud out of them.I am with you on the Pabst though,there is definetly better beer out there.
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
juz say'n.

not doctored up, we call them side Items, but all in one pot. And lemon is the same as with shrimp at alot of resteraunts.

Pabst bottle is great, but the can is junk. I like it more so for the label than anything and the playing cards under the caps, I'm a Miller Lite guy myself, or import.
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
drdemux

Do you just buy the crawfish at a store or do you go out and catch them?

My cousin has a cabin on an island right near Kenora Ontario on the Winnipeg River system. This was the first full summer for him being on the water. While we were cleaning out the old boathouse... we happened across some traps.

We placed the guts/skin/head from filleted fish inside the traps, tied them to a rock & set them up for a few days, checking them and emptying the catch into a 5 gallon bucket. Our haul was not the biggest (numbers) but enough to get the idea of cooking more. We had been catching them with nets & flashlights since we were kids, but never thought about getting enough to eat.

Well the kids were hesitant at first to try them, but once they did they were hooked! Old Bay seasoning & some Cajun spice with garlic butter to dip. The very next morning all the children tended the traps so we could have another LARGER crawfish boil. We ended up catching a few that were so big that you could even eat the meat out of the claws - there were a few that were 4"+!

Next summer we'll try the more traditional way of boiling corn & potatoes along side the crawfish. We would have, but being on an island means logistics have to be figured out before you get there.

So anyways... Anybody have tips on catching them? Better traps or bait? we used traps like these. How to Make a Crawfish Trap | eHow.com
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

The cold snap we had here is kept ours underground
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebuildRookie View Post

But

PLUS

[

Equals GREATNESS

PBR is sweet!!!! Glad to see another PBR fan

Believe.
Jeepzcb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdemux View Post
Do you just buy the crawfish at a store or do you go out and catch them?[/url]
Have done both, but we cook so much a year its just more logical to buy them from a reputable source. I have a guy here that can get me some Monster Selects that you could eat the claws out of most of them.

I will be taking some pictures of some and posting them in the months to come.

We have our 6th annual Crawfish boil at our house this year. 70+ people, 300 lbs. crawfish, t-shirts, huggies, the whole nine yards.
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
mdywglr4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
juz say'n.

Those are side items.

Seasoning is just for that... to season to taste.
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #14
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I know I've seen some crazy things go in that pot. Wings, beanie weenies, hot dogs, all come out great tho.

My favorites, Mushrooms, onions, corn, sausage, peanuts. Just lost interest in the potatos.
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
juz say'n.

None taken...

If you boiled crawfish in plain old water, it'd probably taste like your dog's *** (much like shrimp or crab). But hell if it isn't AWESOME after a little cajun flavor!! Like said before, the corn, potatoes, mushrooms, etc. etc. is just a side.

Oh, and leftover potatoes from the boil make the best tater salad

PBR or Miller High Life.. I can go with either.

'97 TJ Sport Black, 3.5" RE, PSC Trail Cage, Ford F150/Explorer Hybrid 8.8 Aussie locked, Lockright in the XJ HP 30, 4.88 gears, Borla Headers, No Muffler, 35x12.5 R15 Baja MTZs, Currie TrackBar. Homebuilt Longarm 4 link, AA HD SYE, TW CV DS, Warn tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper, Warn X8000i with Amsteel Blue rope with a safety thimble, CO2
GeauxLook@myJeep
geauxturbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.