Craftsman tools - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Craftsman tools

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Raimundo
1993 ZJ 

Craftsman tools

I posted last night about getting a set of good-durable taps and dies. Some recommended CRAFTSMAN since they are made in the USA? jaja, surprise, surprise, I went to SEARS today and,,,,they are made in CHINA!!!!! I guess we have no choice but to go down the pipe. Please forgive me, I'm still living in a world of quality, I haven't realized,,,,any way, thanks for the advise.

Raimundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

You do understand that quality is dictated by the company right? So long as the company is willing to do the QC and make sure their factory follows their instructions, it's just fine.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
CrzyMtnMan
1996 ZJ 

Actually have two China sets, metric and standard, purchased from the cheap tool store, with a little lube have never broke them. I am not machining though, just polishing up damaged threads and such. I have made a few grade 5 and 8 bolts longer without a problem.
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

My Craftsman tools aren't bad. Using a cheater bar I've broken ratchets and sockets, but being able to drive 10 minutes to Sears for a free replacement it's hard to buy anything else. If there was a Snap-On around here I'd go that route.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

I have some Mac tools, but I have had very good luck with SK tools...Unfortunatly they went under....so no more warranty...I have found though, that when I started using quality tools, The number of times I racked my knuckles, or cut my hands has been greatly reduced....Well woth spending a few more dollars for good tools...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Craftsman is still okeh - but the QC isn't quite up to scratch (you're right about the Chinese being able to do good work. IFF you're breathing down their necks...)

A good example? Norinco firearms. Up through 1975, when the Russians were still running the plant, they were quite good. After that, when the Russians let the Chinese take over?

Let's just say that if you pick up a Norinco-made anything made 1976 or later, you're safer dropping the mag, clearing the chamber, and using the damned thing for a club. Ever see a bolt blow back and get embedded in someone's face? Yech.
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Raimundo
1993 ZJ 

Yeap, I guess I'll go Craftsman
Raimundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
Craftsman is still okeh - but the QC isn't quite up to scratch (you're right about the Chinese being able to do good work. IFF you're breathing down their necks...)

A good example? Norinco firearms. Up through 1975, when the Russians were still running the plant, they were quite good. After that, when the Russians let the Chinese take over?

Let's just say that if you pick up a Norinco-made anything made 1976 or later, you're safer dropping the mag, clearing the chamber, and using the damned thing for a club. Ever see a bolt blow back and get embedded in someone's face? Yech.
Yeah Norincos have stamped metal parts, milled steel is the way to go!

For good old Craftsman tools, check the flea markets. You'll save loads of cash and they'll still have a warranty AND be USA made.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post

For good old Craftsman tools, check the flea markets. You'll save loads of cash and they'll still have a warranty AND be USA made.
this!!!!

I have a crapload of old tools that are in perfect shape

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Nothing wrong with stamped steel - that's how AKs are made!

But, if you use crap steel, you may as well used pressed paper, or sheet acrylic...
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

I found an old SK 7/16 breaker bar on the road one day...I thought it was a 3/8, and had a hell of a time trying to figure out why none of my sockets would fit it... lol Still had the part number stamped into the handle...Did a net search and it was made bake in the 1920's...ish....Don't know if its worth anything, but its a great conversation piece, and I can mess with my buddy's too...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #12
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

For occasional use, new craftsman stuff is fine. But if you're wrenching all the time, better to invest in a better set of tools.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:26 AM   #13
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post

Nothing wrong with stamped steel - that's how AKs are made!

But, if you use crap steel, you may as well used pressed paper, or sheet acrylic...
Cheap Chinese and Romanian AKs are made with stamped steel parts. The good old Russian ones are milled steel.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #14
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Cheap Chinese and Romanian AKs are made with stamped steel parts. The good old Russian ones are milled steel.
Guess again - stamped & bent... The bending jigs you can get online are usually copies of Russian patterns.

Misha Kalashnikov spec'd stamped/bent steel receivers because it was cheap, it was easy, and it vastly reduced the number of operations (and therefore opportunity for error.) A couple of stampings would shape it and punch the holes, a trip to the press would fold it to shape - and assemble.

The Soviet Union never did have much for mass machine work...
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #15
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
For occasional use, new craftsman stuff is fine. But if you're wrenching all the time, better to invest in a better set of tools.
Agreed... If you are serious about turning a wrench... Invest in a quality set of tools... Matco, Snap-on... Fewer busted knuckles!

'04 TJ... '65 CJ5(sold :( )... 89' Int. Harvester Toter!
j_bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.