Could Starbucks Coffee be the next Hostess in the not-so-near future? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Could Starbucks Coffee be the next Hostess in the not-so-near future?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 12-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #31
nwiTJdave

Several years ago Starbucks actually lowered their prices on regular joe and raised their specialty drink prices. Since doing so, tehy have seen a large growth. I wouldnt hesitate to buy a few hundred shares. Will you get rich off it it? No, but they pay fairly regular dividends and the stock price will probably rise during the winter months, especially with cheaper gas prices.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #32
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Ill be stopping there after the gym for a pick me up for the finals. Nom nom nom
elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #33
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have watched SBUX for many years. Right now I would recommend that you buy some other stock. You missed the recent big run up. The SBUX trend is reflecting economic recovery, but it is difficult to imagine the stock price reaching 75 in the near future.

It is nearly impossible to predict what will happen with Starbucks business and the company stock in the long term. Their product line has evolved greatly in response to consumers preferences. Nevertheless, I question some of the company's decisions. How many customers actually buy freeze dried instant coffee, which tastes nowhere near as good as fresh brewed coffee?

Also, I have noticed the quality of Starbucks coffee has declined where the company has a store presence in supermarkets. I stopped buying coffee there because it tastes bitter. Surely I can't be the only consumer who has noticed this decline in quality.

Another potential loss for Starbucks is the possible demise of Barnes & Noble stores. B&N has been barely surviving for the past few years. Starbucks partnership is their main lifeline. If B&N goes out of business, then Starbucks will lose many stores and significant revenue.
2010Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #34
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkduck View Post
It's 100% my business when employees end up with a not-quite-full-time job that demands schedule flexibility so they can't work a second job, so they stay below the poverty level and have to rely on EBT and other publicly funded assistance that you and I pay for.

It's my business when some theif earns money in the US, on publicly funded infrastructure with publicly educated employees and then uses every dirty trick they can think of to avoid paying the same kind of taxes on that income that I pay. You think "legal" (manipulation of well-intentioned programs) welfare fraud costs you money? How is "legal" tax evasion (manipulation of well-intentioned programs) , money sheltering (manipulation of well-intentioned programs) and offshore banking (outright evasion of taxes) any different?

It's also my business when the stock market is, itself, a bubble economy no different from that which the housing market experienced not long ago and when it necessarily pops they're going to turn to a publicly funded government to save their sorry butts. If you don't think it's a bubble, consider that starbucks stock is about $53 and the dividends are about $0.17/qtr, meaning it would take approximately 77 years to make your $53 back on your investment using dividends. That's a bubble in exactly the same way my house was a bubble when the most recent previous owner bought it for $311,000 in 2007 and I scooped it up for $63k when they defaulted. The house was never worth $311k and SBUX was never worth $53.

The fallacy that anyone wanting more should simply find a better paying job is, like all extremes, unworkable. Picture this, every last American lives the American Dream(tm) and quits their low paying job and starts their own enterprise! High Five! Let's all congratulate ourselves by going to lunch at the sandwich shop! Oh, wait.. no employees. Fudge. We could get the CEO to make us a sandwich, but he makes $70,000,000 per year like the Starbucks CEO, so that sandwich is going to be $9,000. That looks pretty unsustainable right? So is an army of employees paid so little they have to take EBT.

As for my own salary? You might be shocked at how little it takes to be in the top 50% of American income. Here's a hint: I live in the sort of neighborhood where a house costs $63k and I drive a 10 year old Jeep. I don't even have much debt (nor are my interest rates very high). But don't worry about me, consider that this is about all I can afford and half of everyone else employed in America can't even afford this much luxury.

So here we find ourselves on the precipice of politics again. Extremes are unworkable and inequality continues to be a bomb. You bet your taint it's my business all day long.
Glad you have let us know Starbucks is a thief. Let's get Eric Holder to look into this . Starbucks or no other business is holding a gun to anyones head forcing them to work there and be in poverty, they can seek another job. Jobs like this were never meant to support a household or family, same goes for flipping burgers. Jobs like this are for people that need part time work, like students and such. So what's your solution? Class envy is alive and well. Yes we will let government rid us of this evil of inequality. We're seeing how that's worked out for us, haven't we. I'll bow out before PRC.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #35
KG7IL
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I frequent several forums on chickens, firearms, tractors. Wow, am I surprised to hear so much "I hope they fail"

Fellow Jeepers, revel that they are sucessful. they employe people, pay taxes and coerce no-one to buy they coffee. They are also adamant gun rights supporters, probably even think that you should be able to ride a jeep off road.

I almost wanted everyone to read this after substituting "Jeep Parts Store" in place of Starbucks.

I don't have a starbucks near me, nor would i stop more than one or twice a year, don't own stock. But I wish them BIG LUCK in their business.
KG7IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #36
fillerup
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, am I surprised to hear so much "I hope they fail"

I never said that I hope they fail, I just don't give a care if they do.
fillerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #37
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

I personally love a Venti Latte or Cappuccino, but I don't go to Starbucks for plain coffee. I can make a better cup of coffee but I'm not all that great at making a latte/cappuccino.
Unread 12-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #38
KG7IL
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillerup View Post
Wow, am I surprised to hear so much "I hope they fail"

I never said that I hope they fail, I just don't give a care if they do.

Not pointing at any one post, just the general feel of the thread.

I am one that is pro-business, since owners and employees all depend on sucessful businesses for their lively hood. About 1/2 of the US voting populations seems to feel that somehow, when a business is sucessful, is that it takes money away from someone else.

My plan is to reduce taxes, reduce entitlements and get everyone to work, raising tax revenues. Starbucks is a vital player in keeping America employeed.

I care when any business fails. this usually means more entitlement spending and lower tax revenues.
KG7IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #39
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post

I am one that is pro-business, since owners and employees all depend on sucessful businesses for their lively hood. About 1/2 of the US voting populations seems to feel that somehow, when a business is sucessful, is that it takes money away from someone else.
It's not automatic, but it's endemic. Using the Hostess example, in 2005 when Hostess realized their business model depended on consumer trends that were changing they sent out a letter claiming their profits were up - then the execs all dumped their stock at a major profit and only paid 15% tax on that profit - then they sent out a second letter saying "oops, we meant to say profits are way down" and promptly cut employee pay. This is Enron crap.

The employees then continued to pay $3/hr into a pension fund, but in mid 2011 the company stopped actually putting that money into the pension fund, despite the employees continuing to pay into it. Their claim was it was needed to fund operations - but somehow that "operations" continued to include bonuses. I don't know how an executive at a failing company can get a bonus.. talk about entitlements!

Then came the bankruptcy this year, and nobody has to pay back the money that was intercepted from the pension funds... other than PBGC who can only cover a portion of it. Meanwhile 1.8 million of bonuses are *still* being squeezed out of the carcass to execs.

And I still can't figure out why an executive at a failing company gets a bonus, who gets a bonus for failing??

I have no problem with successful businesses and people who play fair, I have a problem with businesses and people that are only successful because they cheat and exploit unsustainable practices. Nothing's free. I don't care if Starbucks stays in business or not, they're just one of countless businesses in the world that operates by what has become a standard business model - I don't see it as being sustainable. And I don't see how the ceo can possibly provide 5000 times the value to the company's bottom line that any single barista brings. If I were a shareholder, I'd start questioning why they feel they need to give some guy a base salary of $16,000,000 to do that job when there are thousands of perfectly savvy, educated businessmen out there who could do the job for $1,000,000 or $200k or whatever. It's not like the CEO is irreplaceable.
Unread 12-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #40
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Starbucks can take that hipster tall/venti/grande **** and cram it up their ***. What's wrong with small/medium/large? Oh, because they're trying to pull off an Italian vibe when I really feel like I'm in hipster-*** hell surrounded by dorks glued to their laptops and cell phones.

For the record I hate coffee anything, I've only ever ordered hot chocolate as a tag-along guest.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #41
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Starbucks can take that hipster tall/venti/grande **** and cram it up their ***. What's wrong with small/medium/large? Oh, because they're trying to pull off an Italian vibe when I really feel like I'm in hipster-*** hell surrounded by dorks glued to their laptops and cell phones.

For the record I hate coffee anything, I've only ever ordered hot chocolate as a tag-along guest.
Starbucks drive through, best thing ever. Don't have to deal with the inside stuff. Also, my Starbucks is inside of a grocery store so it doesn't even have that feel.
Unread 12-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #42
monsonman

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

My plan is to reduce taxes, reduce entitlements and get everyone to work, raising tax revenues. Starbucks is a vital player in keeping America employeed.

I care when any business fails. this usually means more entitlement spending and lower tax revenues.
this. times a million. its a shame when people are scared to say "profit"
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #43
Jeeper69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010Rubicon View Post
I have watched SBUX for many years. Right now I would recommend that you buy some other stock. You missed the recent big run up. The SBUX trend is reflecting economic recovery, but it is difficult to imagine the stock price reaching 75 in the near future.

It is nearly impossible to predict what will happen with Starbucks business and the company stock in the long term. Their product line has evolved greatly in response to consumers preferences. Nevertheless, I question some of the company's decisions. How many customers actually buy freeze dried instant coffee, which tastes nowhere near as good as fresh brewed coffee?

Also, I have noticed the quality of Starbucks coffee has declined where the company has a store presence in supermarkets. I stopped buying coffee there because it tastes bitter. Surely I can't be the only consumer who has noticed this decline in quality.

Another potential loss for Starbucks is the possible demise of Barnes & Noble stores. B&N has been barely surviving for the past few years. Starbucks partnership is their main lifeline. If B&N goes out of business, then Starbucks will lose many stores and significant revenue.
THANK YOU! Best answer. Answers my question thoroughly and thoughtfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Glad you have let us know Starbucks is a thief. Let's get Eric Holder to look into this . Starbucks or no other business is holding a gun to anyones head forcing them to work there and be in poverty, they can seek another job. Jobs like this were never meant to support a household or family, same goes for flipping burgers. Jobs like this are for people that need part time work, like students and such. So what's your solution? Class envy is alive and well. Yes we will let government rid us of this evil of inequality. We're seeing how that's worked out for us, haven't we. I'll bow out before PRC.
Lol I agree. Personally, I work at Starbucks and I am a student ahahaha. Although I do say this: I could easily get a job that involves less exertion, less energy, less hard work, and one where I deliver less enthusiasm and a job with no 'just be polite to even the rudest of customers and still deliver excellent customer service to horrible customers that take advantage of the system' type policy(never mind the massive run-on sentence), and that same job would pay higher.

But, Starbucks has better benefits as opposed to other part-time jobs. I think people stick with it because they feel pretty productive(if you work at a high-volume store), or because they don't have the pressure to find a higher paying job quickly/don't have the knowledge to.

Quote:

I am one that is pro-business, since owners and employees all depend on sucessful businesses for their lively hood. About 1/2 of the US voting populations seems to feel that somehow, when a business is successful, is that it takes money away from someone else.

“I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”-Benjamin Franklin

I agree. Although, it's easier said than done(referring to Franklin's quote). But it needs to be done. And in my opinion, where there's a will there's a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsonman View Post
this. times a million. its a shame when people are scared to say "profit"
I want your green jeep in your avatar it's effing sick! Trade? lol
Jeeper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #44
DigitalPhoenix
1998 ZJ 

All coffee is disgusting in general. And you get those stupid kids who hang outside sporting their overpriced Macbooks drinking way overpriced coffee.

/thread

If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.
DigitalPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #45
monsonman

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper69

THANK YOU! Best answer. Answers my question thoroughly and thoughtfully.

Lol I agree. Personally, I work at Starbucks and I am a student ahahaha. Although I do say this: I could easily get a job that involves less exertion, less energy, less hard work, and one where I deliver less enthusiasm and a job with no 'just be polite to even the rudest of customers and still deliver excellent customer service to horrible customers that take advantage of the system' type policy(never mind the massive run-on sentence), and that same job would pay higher.

But, Starbucks has better benefits as opposed to other part-time jobs. I think people stick with it because they feel pretty productive(if you work at a high-volume store), or because they don't have the pressure to find a higher paying job quickly/don't have the knowledge to.

“I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”-Benjamin Franklin

I agree. Although, it's easier said than done(referring to Franklin's quote). But it needs to be done. And in my opinion, where there's a will there's a way.

I want your green jeep in your avatar it's effing sick! Trade? lol
Haha read my sig. It's already been traded for a TJ. I really miss that thing

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.