Could this be carry-on? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Marn
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Could this be carry-on?

someone who lives about an hour and a half from my house in NH is interested in this, and i think it'd honestly be way cheaper and easier to bring it home and ship, or have it get picked up.

do you think i could carry it on the airplane? is it too big/bulky?
what about if i took the tires off?

i've seen soem strange things as carry on, and honestly, if a guitar can be carried on, i dont see why a giant RC jeep couldnt be

-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
----- The Camper Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 03:10 PM
jeep_on

I'd put it in a box and check it. Who knows, they will probably think you will blow the plain up with the batteries.

2006 Dodge RAM Laramie w/ 5.9L I6
2010 Volkswagen Jetta w/ TDI 2.0L I4

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
post #3 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 03:12 PM
phant0omx
2012 WK 

you could try to carry it on. worst that will happen is that they'll tell you to check it. by that time, if you do have to check it, you know for sure it'll get on the plane.

other then that, it might break or get crushed in the overhead.
post #4 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Marn
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

the batteries wouldnt be in it, it uses massive lead acid batteries that weigh like 6 pounds each. i dont think it'll get damaged in the overhead, maybe i should call TSA and ask?

-Andrew

The Beast Build Thread:

post #5 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 03:16 PM
sparkchaser

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Look up the airline's website and see what the carry on dimensions are.

"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
post #6 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Where did you get a giant RC Jeep?

'11 WK2 Limited 5.7
Looking for a WK2 full size spare tire and 18" rims
post #7 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 03:27 PM
phant0omx
2012 WK 

as long as it fits in the carry on dimension you could carry it on.
post #8 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 03:37 PM
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

put it in a box....duh? Sure it'll do, without the tires. There are people who carry-on bigger bags than the box the Jeep will fit into.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Check out our shirts in the
!

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear

XJ Writeups:
|
|
|
|
post #9 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 03:48 PM
ozntz

On the news a week or two ago they were asking people not to bring remotecontroled cars or it may take awhile to get through secuity. They didn't say you couldn't but prob but more of a hassle then it is worth.

post #10 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 03:53 PM
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

If the batteries are out (checked baggage) it can be carried onto the plane. I would take off the tires just in case you get stuck flying on a CRJ, which has just about enough overhead space for a #10 envelope.

Patriot Blue 2001 TJ
Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build thread
post #11 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 04:02 PM
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozntz
On the news a week or two ago they were asking people not to bring remotecontroled cars or it may take awhile to get through secuity. They didn't say you couldn't but prob but more of a hassle then it is worth.

I wouldn't know. Just take the batteries out of everything, take the remote control out and seal it in another bag, and see if it works.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Check out our shirts in the
!

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear

XJ Writeups:
|
|
|
|
post #12 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Marn
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

i found the perfect sized box, might jsut check it

-Andrew

The Beast Build Thread:

post #13 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 04:21 PM
default_user
It's a Roobicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
i found the perfect sized box, might jsut check it
I'd still carry it...sons of *****es will not handle with care even if it is tagged fragile.
post #14 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Marn
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

can a 24x16x16 box be carried on?

-Andrew

The Beast Build Thread:

post #15 of 24 Old 11-17-2007, 04:43 PM
default_user
It's a Roobicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
can a 24x16x16 box be carried on?
talk real nice to the flight crew as you board and they will find room for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.