Considering adding a newer FORD Explorer to the fleet... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Considering adding a newer FORD Explorer to the fleet...

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoyote15 View Post
They do have 8.8 rear ends but they are independent rear suspension not solid axle but they can still tow pretty good. And they changed the timing chain tensioners which what really was causing the failures. So the later 4.0 is better than earlier ones but the tensioners are run off oil pressure that's where the problem comes in with lack of maintenance. If the chains have been changed which is a major job because there are 4 of them and they are on the front and back of the motor requiring engine removal to do. Then it can be an OK engine. But just saying buying a 100k car with unknown service records the v8 are bullet proof they run forever can't go wrong with those v6 just be more cautious about but even those I have seen with 200k on them.

Ok,
I keep reading about manifold stud failure,radiators and again the spark plug issue....... Will an 06 get me away from these issues also ?? I do plan to run this thing close to 200k.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
spacecoyote15

No the new ones are more prevalent to those failures the exhaust stud failure is a rust belt issue more so than anything. I don't know if your in that area I'm in Illinois so I do see that a lot. Radiators was more the 06 to 08 after that they changed the design of the radiator.
spacecoyote15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #18
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoyote15 View Post
No the new ones are more prevalent to those failures the exhaust stud failure is a rust belt issue more so than anything. I don't know if your in that area I'm in Illinois so I do see that a lot. Radiators was more the 06 to 08 after that they changed the design of the radiator.
So it sounds like an 05 with the 4.6 is the choice ???
We definitely have a ton of road salt in the winter months in PA, but we r not in the rust belt either.

Unread 08-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

check the prices for a tune up. i know the newer f series trucks are known for having problems with the spark plugs breakin. in this area for just a basic tune up(plugs, wires, cap, rotor bug) minimum is $3000 if nothing goes wrong and most local mechanics will tell you to go to the ford dealership. i don't know if the same is true for the explorer, but i would check.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #20
spacecoyote15

No on a f-150 its 3 hours labor to start 1/2 an hour each additional broken plug the plugs are like 15 dollars each and these have coil over ignition systems so no wires cap rotor or any of that crap. If someone you know got charged that they got ripped off. Also the 5.4 in the f-150 is much more prone to plug breakage than the 4.6 but it still happens on the 4.6 just not as often. And the explorer is 1.5 hours to start on the tune-up the engine isn't buried under the cowl like on the f series. And yes we get cars towed in all the time that an independent shop tried to do the tune-up and broke the plugs. I have gotten so good at them I can do a 150 with all 8 broken in under 3 hours. I also have learned some tricks to get them out without breaking them but that's a job security secret I keep to myself. And after 08 they changed the plug design to a better plug doesn't break, but they still need to be changed every 60k.
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #21
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick05 View Post
check the prices for a tune up. i know the newer f series trucks are known for having problems with the spark plugs breakin. in this area for just a basic tune up(plugs, wires, cap, rotor bug) minimum is $3000 if nothing goes wrong and most local mechanics will tell you to go to the ford dealership. i don't know if the same is true for the explorer, but i would check.
If you paid $3G for anything less than a new motor, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'll give ya a hell of a deal on.......
ANYBODY would be an IDIOT to pay this, A BMW maintenance package is only $1200 !

Unread 08-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #22
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post
If you paid $3G for anything less than a new motor, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'll give ya a hell of a deal on.......
ANYBODY would be an IDIOT to pay this, A BMW maintenance package is only $1200 !
i didn't, i drive jeeps
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #23
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Holly ****....this is why I dont buy Domestic vehicles other than pre 04 JEEPS.

SO, If I buy upto 07 4.6 I have an overall poor design due to FORD using ****ty alloys (studs, heads, plugs),
If I buy upto 07 4.0 I have TC issues (without knowing prior maint.)
If I buy 08 and up I have a nightmare radiator issue........
WHATS LEFT ! ?
Maybe I should buy a Honda pilot.....

Unread 08-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #24
spacecoyote15

Bottom line all cars break none are perfect people make a big deal about problems with cars on the internet because there tightwads that don't want to part with a dollar there are over a 100k parts on a car even if 99% of them are good that's still a lot of bad parts and honestly most cars are better than that. This being a jeep forum I would think that would not fall on deaf ears. Most people nowadays think if they spent a nickel on something 20 years ago there grand children should be using it after there gone. But they wont take the time to check there own tire pressure or even check there own oil. Find a explorer in decent shape and you'll be fine especially because this being a jeep forum you realize that cars do eventually break and must be repaired. Its just that they are harder to work on and parts more expensive ain't progress great.
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
spacecoyote15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post
Holly ****....this is why I dont buy Domestic vehicles other than pre 04 JEEPS.

SO, If I buy upto 07 4.6 I have an overall poor design due to FORD using ****ty alloys (studs, heads, plugs),
If I buy upto 07 4.0 I have TC issues (without knowing prior maint.)
If I buy 08 and up I have a nightmare radiator issue........
WHATS LEFT ! ?
Maybe I should buy a Honda pilot.....
Go ahead look into reliability ratings of cars now the domestics are surpassing foreign cars by greater margins . All the company's have good models and bad. However I'll always buy cars that were made here I want my neighbor to have job before someone in Korea or japan. And yes both my explorers were made here in st. Louis assembly plant and my Pontiac formula was made in van nuys California. You also have to remember the explorer was the number one selling SUV for many years running and I work in a ford dealer so yes I will know there common problems. But I have probably done a dozen timing chains or engines because of timing chains. And over my 15 years here probably worked on many many hundreds of them without problems. I'm not trying to scare people out of buying an explorer like I said I own 2 right now and would drive either across country tomorrow. Just giving honest insider advice to someone looking to buy a used higher mileage car on what to be knowledge able about.
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #26
wsar10
2003 WJ 

I know cars break, but lets face it you don't buy cars that break often.......
I don't have a problem with maintenance either, some say I enjoy it !
I'm just trying to gain as much knowledge as I can about a vehicle I know nothing about... Much like I did before buying different JEEPS through out the years. When I first bought my WJ I snooped around in the WJ section for a year just collecting info, and frankly if I would have based my decisions off forum topics I would not have bought one for tranny and piston skirt failures, but over time I learned how to iron those issues out and bought accordingly. I appreciate all the info, Your the kinda guy I like to learn from. Somebody with real world experience's

Although I cant agree about import vs. domestic. When you look at "the most reliable SUV w3rd row theres not even a domestic vehicle in the top ten. (Consumer reports)

Unread 08-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #27
spacecoyote15

Happy to offer up the knowledge the years of busted knuckles has gained me don't worry too much about the explorer they are pretty good cars. The wife will probably get another one when its time for hers to get replaced. ( I'm getting an xj mostly for the fun and modification factor)best way I could put it in jeep terms is would you pass on a nice 00 or 01 because of the 0331 head problem. Usually you can tell what the mechanicals look like buy looking at the body people who are lazy or cheap won't take care of anything and it shows. If they take care of the outside they usually take care of the insides. And I wasn't speaking exclusively about third row vehicles just an overall review of the auto industry. Besides I think consumer reports has always had something up there butts for the domestics. They have to be twice as good to get the same rating as foreign cars and maybe some of that was earned from the shoddy stuff the domestics put out in the 80's and early 90's but the domestics have really taken notice after almost going bankrupt and turned themselves around. Just one mans opinion good luck finding your family trickster.
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #28
spacecoyote15

Damn auto correct truckster
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #29
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

My grandmother has an 05 Explorer, V8 she bought new with no real mechanical issues to date. Cosmetically, the fiberglass hatch has a crack down the middle and I have seen MANY others with this issue.

I haul my family around in a '02 Trailblazer LTZ with the 4.2 I6 and we have had no major issues that dont fall under routine maintenance (replaced hubs/front balljoints last year). They feel more "truck like" in my opinion and I personally feel the 4.2 is very ballsy and has been 100% reliable. I think the EXT version with the longer wheelbase and extra seating would be right up your alley.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #30
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
My grandmother has an 05 Explorer, V8 she bought new with no real mechanical issues to date. Cosmetically, the fiberglass hatch has a crack down the middle and I have seen MANY others with this issue.

I haul my family around in a '02 Trailblazer LTZ with the 4.2 I6 and we have had no major issues that dont fall under routine maintenance (replaced hubs/front balljoints last year). They feel more "truck like" in my opinion and I personally feel the 4.2 is very ballsy and has been 100% reliable. I think the EXT version with the longer wheelbase and extra seating would be right up your alley.
How many miles on the TB ? I love an I6 motor......

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.