Connecting computer to a TV? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Connecting computer to a TV?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
_TIM_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Connecting computer to a TV?

Hey guys i was hoping someone might be able to help me out with this. I recently got a new 32in Samsung Tv for my Bday and found out it can be used as a monitor for my Macbook pro, the only problem is I have no idea how to connect the two. I went out and got a cable that connects from the tv to the laptop and switched the source on the tv to PC, but nothing happens when I connect it. Is there some kind of button I have to hit to switch the screen to the tv? Also, will I have to change the resolution on the laptop to acomidate for the larger screen? Any and all advice is appreciated.

-Tim

Unread 01-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Otahyoni

My laptop has a S-Video out, so thats how i connect my TV. And i have to change the resolution on the TV to match the screen size, but i dont have to change the laptop.
Otahyoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
EarpWJ
1999 WJ 

I dont know on a mac, but on most/all PC laptops theres a function button to switch display output on the lap top, like check your keyboard, there might be some button with two overlapping squares.
EarpWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
jb4
1998 TJ Wrangler 

one the tv which of the following do you have?

VGA port (blue connector)
DVI port (white connector)
HDMI port (small black connector)

then which macbook pro do you have? if its one that has a display port then you need

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

which is an apple display port to DVI adapter - you can then hook it up to the DVI port directly or the HDMI port with a DVI->HDMI adapter

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

if you only have a VGA port (unlikely) here is the apple display port to VGA adapter

Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

honestly S-Video isn't worth the time or hassle any more because the quality is such crap and 99.99% of HD TV's have a DVI/HDMI port and most have a VGA port

edit:

On my macbook when you connect the cable with the TV on it will automatically work - so what port are you hooking up to and just for giggles - whats the model number of the Samsung TV - I've seen some sets that have DVI ports but will not accept input from computers (stupid, I know)
jb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TIM_ View Post
Hey guys i was hoping someone might be able to help me out with this. I recently got a new 32in Samsung Tv for my Bday and found out it can be used as a monitor for my Macbook pro, the only problem is I have no idea how to connect the two. I went out and got a cable that connects from the tv to the laptop and switched the source on the tv to PC, but nothing happens when I connect it. Is there some kind of button I have to hit to switch the screen to the tv? Also, will I have to change the resolution on the laptop to acomidate for the larger screen? Any and all advice is appreciated.
Need more info. Go to the Displays control panel on the Mac. See if it is detecting the TV at all. If it is, play with the resolution settings. Also, make sure you have the TV set to the right input. The connector you are connecting to should be labeled something like "video 1", "video 2", etc. Make sure the TV is set to whatever it is. Report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4 View Post
then which macbook pro do you have? if its one that has a display port then you need

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)
You're assuming he has a TV with a DVI port. That may very well be the case, but he doesn't say in the OP.

Quote:
you can then hook it up to the DVI port directly or the HDMI port with a DVI->HDMI adapter
Quote:
if you only have a VGA port (unlikely) here is the apple display port to VGA adapter

Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)
Same comment above.

Quote:
honestly S-Video isn't worth the time or hassle any more because the quality is such crap and 99.99% of HD TV's have a DVI/HDMI port and most have a VGA port
Not everyone has an HD TV or a TV with a DVI/HDMI port, or even a VGA port. We don't. But the S-Video connection to the laptop works great when streaming movies from Netflix.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Pvt_Joker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You most likely have to go to display settings and change your output.
Pvt_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
_TIM_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow thanks for the quick responces guys, looks like I have to look at some things when i get home from work tonight I will be sure to report back.
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
jb4
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Need more info. Go to the Displays control panel on the Mac. See if it is detecting the TV at all. Also, make sure you have the TV set to the right input. The connector you are connecting to should be labeled something like "video 1", "video 2", etc. Make sure the TV is set to whatever it is. Report back.

You're assuming he has a TV with a DVI port. That may very well be the case, but he doesn't say in the OP.

Same comment above.

Not everyone has an HD TV or a TV with a DVI/HDMI port, or even a VGA port. We don't. But the S-Video connection to the laptop works great when streaming movies from Netflix.
he said its a brand new Samsung 32" tv - they dont make a single 32" CRT set so I'm safely going to say he has one of the three ports I mentioned.
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
he said its a brand new Samsung 32" tv - they dont make a single 32" CRT set so I'm safely going to say he has one of the three ports I mentioned.
Well, if you happen to know Samsung doesn't make CRT TVs, then there you go.
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
jb4
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I said they did not make a 32" CRT

http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/t...getype=subtype

even their "slim fit" quasi CRT's dont come in 32"
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow thanks for the quick responces guys, looks like I have to look at some things when i get home from work tonight I will be sure to report back.
Do you happen to know which cable you used to hook up to the TV? Did you use any little "pigtail" adaptor from Apple? That's generally the most pain-free route. We use the s-video pigtail for my wife's laptop and it works great. They make similar adapters for other kinds of TVs. Note that simply making a physical connection often isn't good enough, because the video card in the computer may not put out a TV-compatible signal (this is particularly true with VGA connections). Even though you may physically be able to connect it, doesn't mean it will work without an adapter.
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I said they did not make a 32" CRT
OK, well, if you happen to know Samsung doesn't make 32" CRT TVs, then there you go.
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
_TIM_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I believe I have a vga out from the tv and the "pigtail" that was mentioned from the mac to another vga input on the end of the "pigtail"
Unread 01-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I believe I have a vga out from the tv and the "pigtail" that was mentioned from the mac to another vga input on the end of the "pigtail"
OK, in that case, you want to make sure the TV is using the correct "video input" as I noted above (and since you set it to PC, it may be), and check to ensure the Mac detects the tv as an additional display, and set the resolution to something that works with the TV. Most likely, if you set the tv to "PC" input and fiddle with the Displays control panel on the Mac, you'll get an image of some kind on the TV.
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
_TIM_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sp I got home and plugged the computer in and wouldn't ya know, it worked. I played around with the resolution a bit and it looks great. Thanks for all the help guys

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.