confused and need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > confused and need advice

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 01-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
joshrad
Who needs roads?

1997 XJ Cherokee 

confused and need advice

So I'm posting this because I need advice, kind of about how to go about deciding about what to do with my life. I'm 19 and in my sophomore year of college as a Music Technology major, but ever since I graduated high school I've been lost and confused about what I want to do with my life. I still live at home because I live relatively close to campus. I'm going to college mostly because my parents never got the chance to, so I'm partly doing it for them as well as for me because apparently having a degree no matter what it's in really helps after college. But I feel like being in college is just postponing making a decision about what I'm doing with my life. Granted by the time I graduate I'll most likely have a much better idea than I do now, but I've always been one to plan every single detail out in advance so I have a clear understanding of what I'm doing. I'm sure it also doesn't help that I'm not a very sociable person as well as being pretty pessimistic about most things. I'm even seriously thinking about moving up to Oregon or Washington state because the very cloudy, gloomy, rainy, depressing environment that it is most of the time (that some people commit suicide over) actually makes me happy. I can be a pretty depressing person to be around which is most likely why I have maybe 1 friend anymore along with not being social. I'm not depressed, angry, or anything like that. I can be happy, funny, fun to be around/with, it's just most of the time I'm not, I'm sometimes pretty serious and not very outgoing. And not knowing what to do and not having an answer is making me pretty frustrated, stressed out, and not really helping me be even remotely happy lately. I know this is kind of a rambling but I would really appreciate advice from anyone who has any to share. I have no clue what I'm doing with my life, right now it doesn't have much of a direction. I'm not asking for an answer to what I should do but more of advice on how I should go about the process of figuring out what I would like to do.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
Once the members of jeepforum get drunk enough, anyone can be a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz_Soldier
Wait! Does that mean XJs are Xtreme Jeeps?
joshrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
bradthebard
the faux feather finish

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm 33 and I still don't know wht I want to be when I grow up. Roll with it.

but finish the degree.

"...Indeed I have burned the candle at both ends, and it gave off such a glorious light..." - Christopher Hitchens
tales from the bard side
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebard View Post
Theology is one hundred blind men searching a dark room for a black cat that isn't there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitzangiggles View Post
Atheism is one hundred blind men in a dark room claiming there is no black cat because they can't see it.
bradthebard is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
JeepDVL45

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, the best advise I can give you is:
give it time...
I know that probably isn't the answer you were looking for...I was in a similar situation not too long ago. Its tough...but just keep your nose to the grind stone and keep on plugging, and eventaully, when the time is right, you'll figure out what you want (or at least some of what you want), and you'll head your life in that direction.
And once you have a little direction, different opportunities will arise, that will set you on a slightly different path, everything works out in the end....you just have to be willing to make it work.

I hope I actually helped a bit, and I didn't make it worse.

Good luck!

"Real men hide their feelings, WHY?!
BECAUSE IT’S NONE OF YOUR ****** BUSINESS!!!!
Men do not cry. Men do not pout. Men jack you in the ******* jaw and say…thanks for comin’ out." - Boondock Saints II
JeepDVL45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
helicase50
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have no idea what I really want to do. I know I love being outside and love playing in lab. I figure I get a degree in science and look at jobs from there.

Find what you love, get a degree in it, go from there, you can always fall into some management because you will have a degree.

[COLOR="Purple"]Yes, I'm a girl, I drive a TJ and like to get it dirty. Yes, I like boys. Get over it. [/COLOR]
[COLOR="Purple"]Live Fun, Ride Fast, Die Pretty ~ Chic Riders M[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=vindicated;11072220]
Did I ever mention I loved you? :kiss:
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11072442]Hey! That's my woman you're hitting on there! <:mad:>
[/QUOTE]
Be Jealous
helicase50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
joshrad
Who needs roads?

1997 XJ Cherokee 

This is all great advice, thanks. I'm getting a degree in something I enjoy but I'm just not sure about going to be able to actually go into the field as a studio recording technician. I've never been this unsure about anything and it's kind of freaking me out because I don't know what I'm doing. I always plan stuff out days in advance. Hell, when I go wheeling I plan out at least a week ahead of time and get all my tools, etc. ready the day before and double check everything before I take off and sometimes check three times just to make sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
Once the members of jeepforum get drunk enough, anyone can be a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz_Soldier
Wait! Does that mean XJs are Xtreme Jeeps?
joshrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
christine1003
1999 WJ 

Just try not to worry so much. I know it's hard to do but i am the same way i always want things planned out so nothing can go wrong, but sometimes the best things that happen are things that you didn't plan. I have no idea where my life is going and im 22. Sometimes i get very anxious about not owning a home and having money and my life all layed out. But all of these things will come in time. Just try to enjoy the small things in life and what happens happens. Don't worry about the big picture everything will come together.
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Fierdon
2008 JK Wrangler 

I am 25 and still a bit unsure what I want to make of my life. It happens to us all. Best thing I can tell you is don't worry so much and finish your getting your degree. It will all come together sometime down the line, be it a few days or several years.

Just another .02, you should try and do things spontaneously without planning, makes life exciting, trust me.
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
cack-
1999 TJ Wrangler 

take a year off to sort out and figure out what you wanna do. there is no need to rush into things, i took 2 full years off of partying and bad decisions to learn some tough life lessons and set my self straight and figure out where i want to be, at the time sometimes it got a bit overwhelming but looking back now i'm a way better off because of it, i'm not like most of my friends who wasted money on school and ended up not doing anything with their education.

for example i'm on the way to gettimg my tickets in heritage carpentry, out of the 18 guys in my class probably atleast 7 of them have other college, or university degrees that after getting they decided it wasn't for them.

don't rush things take your time have some fun, be impulsive because you just might find your self 3 or 4 years down the road wishing you took that leap of faith and moved up north.
cack- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have always envied people that knew exactly what they want to do with their lives, I have always had too many interests to pursue a single path, you may not know the EXACT direction to follow, so give yourself some slack, sometimes we can be harder on ourselves than is needed. Trust your instincts,listen to your folks and work hard and smart, good things will happen.
Good Luck
Unread 01-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
toplessanddirty
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That's great that you're finishing your degree! A lot of people can't say the same. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, stressing about what to do. Except I start college this year and I'm not completely sure about what to go for. I would LOVE to go for photography... But I can't afford anything other then community and they don't offer it. =\ So I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a dental hygienist. Not that exciting, but the pay starts at $25/hr, and it's usually part time. So I can deal. But at the same time, I get nervous that I won't be happy with my decision.

That's so funny about the rainy weather! I feel the exact same way. I live in NY so it's a good mix of rain and sun haha.

As to what direction you want to take.. The best thing is trial and error. Feel everything out. If you don't like something, move on from it. You'll learn a lot of new things and figure out what you really want to do eventually.

But all I can say is to just take things one day at a time... try anything else and you just stress yourself out. Of course, live for today with tomorrow in mind, haha. But you just have to learn to relax and trust yourself.

Good luck, and remember, life's good when you've got a Jeep!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.