Computer guys: Acer Aspire harddrive ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Computer guys: Acer Aspire harddrive ??

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
cheepjeep96
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Computer guys: Acer Aspire harddrive ??

My friends Acer Aspire one recently took a dump on him, the motherboard (where the power supply plugs into) has completely fried itself. Well, he was wondering if I had a way to recover his date. Upon inspection of the harddrive, it looks like the SAME sata / sata power has my desktops. Can I just plug it into my desktop and recover the date off that way?

Sorry if this is the wrong section.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
If you only have the 1 clutch however, I'd suggest keeping it if you expect to move by anything other than 1. gravity or 2. transcontinental drift. Both are time tested to work, but you might not get exactly where you want to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapfix View Post
Scanner? You don't even have doors... :p
cheepjeep96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

recover his date or his data? If the first one, i don't think you want computer guys giving you relationship advice

I wouldn't think it'd be the same connection (2.5" drives i thought were always their own connection) but if it is in fact the same, plug it in and have at it. Can't hurt it that way. If it's not, find a buddy with a laptop and plug it in there and see if it boots up OR order a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter such as:
Notebook Hard Drive to Desktop Adapter (2.5" to 3.5") N/A

and plug it in that way.

If you're going to run it along side your normal hard drive you'll have to make sure the jumper settings are right or set it up as cable select. It may even give you the option to choose during bootup, i'm not sure.
perfectcircle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
cheepjeep96
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectcircle View Post
recover his date or his data? If the first one, i don't think you want computer guys giving you relationship advice

I wouldn't think it'd be the same connection (2.5" drives i thought were always their own connection) but if it is in fact the same, plug it in and have at it. Can't hurt it that way. If it's not, find a buddy with a laptop and plug it in there and see if it boots up OR order a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter such as:
Notebook Hard Drive to Desktop Adapter (2.5" to 3.5") N/A

and plug it in that way.

If you're going to run it along side your normal hard drive you'll have to make sure the jumper settings are right or set it up as cable select. It may even give you the option to choose during bootup, i'm not sure.
Data my friend.

anyways. It appears to have the same Sata connection has my desktop, I just don't know if their is a voltage difference between Laptop harddrives and desktop harddrives
Quote:
If you only have the 1 clutch however, I'd suggest keeping it if you expect to move by anything other than 1. gravity or 2. transcontinental drift. Both are time tested to work, but you might not get exactly where you want to go.
Quote:
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

hmm. Idk. My 3.5" drive says

5VDC 0.64A
12VDC 0.24A

and my 2.5" drive:

5VDC 1A

if that helps any..
perfectcircle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
cheepjeep96
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Ah. Well, I plugged it in anyways, Works just fine Thanks.
Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.